Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is some pretty amazing shyt. I figure all Auto G's will have this pretty soon. Just enter the link, then click on the Xtronic CVT link inside. http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/ModelHomePage/0,,24109,00.html

Any opinions? Useful or restrictive?

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan Ivory Pearl/Graphite Leather Sport/Premium/Aerokit

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My fiance's A4 has a CVT tranny. It takes some getting used to. Shifts are pretty smooth, although I haven't noticed a HUGE difference. When you pop it over to manu-matic mode, it selects 6 "shift" points. Technically, there are an unlimited amount of gear ratio's, so you could probably get into the computer and make your own shift points... that would be sweet.

I do worry about the reliability. CVT trannies are simply belts around two "cone" shaped pulleys. The belt moves up and down that cone, thus changing the ratio. I'd rather have gears, but I also prefer a manual anyway [:D]

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It's available on $15k Jettas in Europe...

You can get it on pretty much any VW/Audi car there and most of the Audi cars here, usually as an option.

Supposedly, they're working on a dual clutch manual as well that's supposed to allow shift speeds faster than anything else out there.

Cool stuff...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VQI do worry about the reliability. CVT trannies are simply belts around two "cone" shaped pulleys. The belt moves up and down that cone, thus changing the ratio.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

How do you spell w-e-a-r & t-e-a-r? [:)]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan Ivory Pearl/Graphite Leather Sport/Premium/Aerokit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually i think audi's cvt is a metal chain so they should be much more reliable than the first cvt's with belts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VQ

My fiance's A4 has a CVT tranny. It takes some getting used to. Shifts are pretty smooth, although I haven't noticed a HUGE difference. When you pop it over to manu-matic mode, it selects 6 "shift" points. Technically, there are an unlimited amount of gear ratio's, so you could probably get into the computer and make your own shift points... that would be sweet.

I do worry about the reliability. CVT trannies are simply belts around two "cone" shaped pulleys. The belt moves up and down that cone, thus changing the ratio. I'd rather have gears, but I also prefer a manual anyway [:D]

6-speed
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You're correct Genjoru, the Audi's have a big ace chain...

6-speed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts