Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any data on the G35 coupe winter (snow) driving capabilities? does it actually move forward or is it like all other sports cars...ie, drives in circles and fishtails allover the place...

Jm

·
Registered
33 Posts
Driving a rear wheel drive car in snow and rain is fun!! I had my g35 through this past winter and it is worse in the snow than my old civic but 10 times more fun. the only time i have used vdc in the car was in the snow. I have 18" wheels if that matters to anyone.

G35 6mt
blue/graphite
everything but nav. - cause men don't need directions from anything

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got caught in a major snowfall the day after I picked it up. It took me 2 hours to get home on a drive that normally takes me 20 minutes! And then to top it all off, I couldn't get it up my driveway and ended up leaving it on the sidewalk. If it wasn't for the crummy area I was in, I would have left it on the side of the road and walked home.

BTW - does anyone have any idea of what size winter tire would be needed? I have a G35C 6mt with brembos.

·
Registered
40 Posts
whatever,

what tires did you have on at the time. Cause if they were the Pilot Sports then no wonder. Those tires are not meant to see any types of temps below 5-10 degree celcius, they lose major traction at those temps....but I guess you know that already if you were using them that day [:p]

·
Registered
77 Posts
BTW - does anyone have any idea of what size winter tire would be needed? I have a G35C 6mt with brembos.
[/quote]

As the next post leads you to it, go to tirerack.com. Also, look carefully thru tirerack's surveys and comments from actual owners. It is very interesting. To me, I noticed that there is a Sumitomo tire that is all weather high perf (or ultra high perf) that is a bargain price--htrz?? (235/45/17 about 100). Obivously, it wouldn't do well in 10 inches of snow. But, if your area is light on snow, it may be a "winter" alternative that would far outlast any true winter tire. The comments and ratings for that tire were almost as high as the highest-rated Michelins all season tires (again) and about 120 less per tire.

For my 6mt coupe, I'll probably have to go with a separate set of wheels and tires unless I get a "winter" car which could be a "beater". Minnesotans (and others) know about winter "beaters".[:D]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to your board as a participant though I have been lurking for ages. With this thread I thought I'd poke my head out and throw in some reference material.

For info from Nissan toward the effectiveness of the Skyline/G35C 'VDC' system in snow conditions go to the following JA site; http://skyline2.nissan.co.jp/PROGRAM/VDC/index.html

Scroll past all the Japanese words and view the two RealMedia videos provided. Although the audio is in Japanese, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words and if you had any doubts as to the abilities of the G35C in snow then take a peek at this.

I dod not know if the tires used in the exercise were stock or not though I would suppose they have been changed out to something other than the US OEM Pilots.

I hope you guys find this info to be useful...

- Janq

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed. Thanks for the link, Jang and welcome aboard!

I'm sure you're correct... those can't be the stock tires! Otherwise, very impressive. I'm eagerly awaiting some snow testing for the G. I'm going to probably get a decent set of snows on 17's for the winter. I've heard the G is pretty good, with VDC and LSD.

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Registered
72 Posts
Man I HATE streaming media, it never works. All I get is an error message "unable to connect to server". WTF? I tried to save it to my computer but all it saved was a stupid 60KB link file. [timebomb]

Darin
-----
6MT Sedan-Brilliant Silver-Premium-Aero-Winter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.