Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm wondering if any owners out there can tell how the G35 Sports Coupe handles in snow and ice conditions. I'm also wondering which tires might be a good choice? If you have any experience in the snow, please describe (and include road conditions).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've heard mixed things about snow performance. The car is obviously not going to be a champ in the snow. They do offer winter and/or all-season tires in the G35 sizes, so you could always go that route. I'm probably just going to buy a set of crappy rims with winter tires and swap them out during the colder months. Saves salt damage on those beautiful G35 rims anyway [;)]

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a dg 6mt w/18" performance tires, since i picked up my car in early december, it has snowed every other week here (st. louis), in my experiance the car is pretty much useless with the 18" performance tires in the snow. if i know its going to snow i'll keep the car in the garage. i did caught in a 1 day late unexpected snow storm a couple of weeks ago, and could not make it up the street to my house, i had to slide into a driveway, walk home, and wait till the streets were plowed.

i will be picking up 17" wheels with winter tires next week, for winter driving, altho the 18" wheels will stay on during warm weather.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Do you guys get that much snow in St. Louis? Ginter is right, the coupe really needs a nice set of snow shoes up north!

6-speed

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not sure how the coupe does, but the sedan isn't great. Im going to get a set of winter wheels once i can put some cash together.
-PEace

·
Registered
4 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by cmpterman2

Hi,

I'm wondering if any owners out there can tell how the G35 Sports Coupe handles in snow and ice conditions. I'm also wondering which tires might be a good choice? If you have any experience in the snow, please describe (and include road conditions).

Thanks!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Hi,
I'm up north in Canada. I actually wanted to remove the winter tires and rims that I ordered with my G35 coupe ( to reduce the hole in my wallet), but the dealer convinced me that there would be no way that I could use the performance tires in this weather. I eventually agreed to buy the winter tires (after seeing them and checking out the quality).
Boy am I glad I did, the grip on my 17 inch Pirellis (H- class) are awesome ( although I would still not advise any body to drive fast in winter because of the icy conditions were you will have no grip at all irrespective of the quality of ones tires).
I just collected my G35 yesterday and every body that has ssen the car thinks the wheels( rims are by BAS - japanese rim maker) are from infiniti ( they are that good).
Also VQ get the infiniti people to fit in you snows especially if you are buying new rims as well (remember that the G35 is brand new and not all mechanics are familar with it yet).[:D]

G35
5AT
Performance pkg
Black obsidan/graphite</font id="Comic Sans MS">

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Good call HWF. I went to Just Tires to have the Dunlaps put on my CL and they DESTROYED my rims. Completely mangled the lip (actually the CL rims don't have a lip, and need a special method to remove the tires). They ended up paying to have all 4 rims refinished. Sucked when it happened, but now my rims are perfect! Cost 'em $600, so I'm sure someone got fired over that!

I'm glad that the G can still get around with some snows. Sometimes even with snow tires, rear wheel drive cars don't get around too well in snow. It's probably because of the good weight distribution in the G.

6-speed

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont get much snow, but plenty of rain (Eugene, OR). My tires have performed just fine so far. I am considering winter tires for next season and have a question: why do people talk about going with 17" wheels for winter tires? Does the size of the wheel matter for traction/handling or is mostly a cost factor?

·
Registered
172 Posts
the general concensus seems to be that the coupe does not perform well under snowy weather...that's not very good seeing as I will be living in Central Pennsylvaniz come next year for quite some time. Is it really that bad? Is it worse than any other car? Or is it just that you can't handle it with normal tires and the problems are solved with wintre tires?

Are the performance tires the best choice for very rainy climate?

That is another thing I will experience in PA, lots of rain! (cant wait!!!)

Patiently -- or not so patiently waiting to trade in my 1996 I30 for a wonderful G35 SC!

·
Registered
4 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by darren

I dont get much snow, but plenty of rain (Eugene, OR). My tires have performed just fine so far. I am considering winter tires for next season and have a question: why do people talk about going with 17" wheels for winter tires? Does the size of the wheel matter for traction/handling or is mostly a cost factor?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi,
basically when buying winter/snow tires it is advisable to buy 16". Because they are smaller they cut through the snow much easier than a larger tire.
The G35 coupe comes with standard 17" tires and that is probably why most suggest a 17" winter tire for it (I would too since it is the tire size suggested by Infiniti).[:)]

5AT
black obsidan/graphite
G35 SC
Performance pkg

·
Registered
6 Posts
ginter you are in st. louis? where abouts? i have a coupe on order over at bommarito on manchester......live down by ted drewes....

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Best solution: don't live any place that has weather not conducent to racing around.

·
Registered
172 Posts
well ive got to go back there for college, and then possibly work, ill find out in about a month. so when i go i have to know what im doing

Patiently -- or not so patiently waiting to trade in my 1996 I30 for a wonderful G35 SC!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Bah. ASU has better looking women.

·
Registered
172 Posts
no way -- although I have a friend that goes there and claims that he is sore from rubber-necking all the time. But I also have a friend who calls University Park (where im going) "a honey farm" and then some. So I'm pretty psyched.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Seriously. There's nothing comparable to the west coast women back east. I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but you can't get large groups of beautiful women any place that has snow unless they're tourists in a ski resort.

It's just a fact of life, brother.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
PennState a nice selection! That's where I met my girlfriend... getting married next year [^]

6-speed

·
Registered
172 Posts
very cool! Congratulations VQ! I wish you the best and happiest of times together.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Nooooo! Resist the urge for self imprissonment!

Only kidding of course. Congratulations.

·
Registered
172 Posts
lol semi, you dont want to be happily married? do you have/had a girlfriend now/recently? I cannot wait to escape high school immaturity and idiotic relationships -- finally people of respectable mental abilities and maturity levels, people that actually want something in a relationship instead of just a title. Though it has some downsides, the pros outweigh the cons in my mind. Of course I wont be rushing into anything, but hey, at least I could if i wanted to right?

107 days, and no I am not counting.

[:D] [:D] [:D]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts