Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my transmission has been grinding in 2nd and 3rd on fast shifts for a couple of months now. well today, i did a little experiment.....with the clutch in, i quickly shifted from neutral to 3rd, repeatedly. each time, it grinded (ground). this seems pretty repeatable to me. is it grounds for a new tranny? i hate to really put the spurs to the car now for fear of ripping the tranny apart. this is no fun.....

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
hey doc... good to have you back. one word: WARRANTY. Just take the car in and tell 'em what's wrong.

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanx for the input. i will take it to them next week. and btw, i havent been anywhere. just kinda lurking around. waiting till the funds get right so i can get this modding thing going....

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've heard that many tranny problems on this car stem from beatin on it early!!

(Unlike the Acura CL-S, which just had a bad design with that sport shift!)

Did you baby it the first 1200-1500 miles?? Or spank it??

This motor will put a hurtin on the tranny if it's not broken in correctly!!

U gotta totally baby it, the first 1200-1500 miles!! [boink]

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey doc, I just picked mine up from the dealer yesterday for the exact same problem. Grinding going into third when the RPM's are above 3500. They replaced my transmission. I would just take it in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jotay21

Hey doc, I just picked mine up from the dealer yesterday for the exact same problem. Grinding going into third when the RPM's are above 3500. They replaced my transmission. I would just take it in.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

bet that. 'preciate it, dude. and no, i dint baby it for the 1st 1500 miles[banghead]. does this mean that i have to break in the new tranny now?[boxing]

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
During the break-in period more than the engine is breaking in. The transmission is another major component where the gears must break-in as well. The brake pads need to get bedded as well.

Good luck with the warranty issue, don't let them know you beat it from the start.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
doc, I had the same problem and brought my car in and they replaced the tranny as well. I was the second person that week who had to get that done when I went, so I dont think that they will give you any trouble with replacing it.

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

"In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve -- it's what you take."

·
Registered
427 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by 1CRAZMOFO

(Unlike the Acura CL-S, which just had a bad design with that sport shift!)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What was the problem with the CL-S tranny. My dad has it and i drive it quite often, and the car is at 55k and we have had it from day one, never have run into any probs. Are we just really really really lucky?? Just a quick reply would be coo, no need to go in-depth on the matter.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The '01, '02 and early '03 CL-S's suffer from the 3rd gear clutch pack wearing away prematurely and then depositing nasty shit inside the tranny!! Car will start shuddering between 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th...
Check the tranny fluid often,,,Had mine changed @ 30K...Startin shuddering around 45K...Tranny fluid was burnt and so was the tranny...

Best thing that coulda happened!!... got it replaced under warranty and sent it packing for the G!! [rockon]

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Definitely don't let them know you've ridden it hard from the start... but I read somewhere that they actually have some way of finding this info out with the onboard computer... [dunno]

good luck, doc. let us know how it goes.

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well when i mentioned to my salesman about the break-in period (upon delivery) he said that it wasnt necessary. he did however give me a free oil change at 1000 miles. so maybe that was the break-in period.......

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

·
Registered
818 Posts
Never trust a car salesman....[}:)]

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero/Prem

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i called them today and the service manager said that he was just getting ready to call me and see if i was having the same problem (i previously mentioned it to them about a month ago). taking it in on thurs to get checked out. fingers firmly crossed......

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

1 - 15 of 15 Posts