Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Personally i havent done the research, but i think its the muffler.
In Coupe they got 2 muff and in seden they only got one.[^]
Dont take my word for it, but thats wut i thought

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
According to one of the reviews I read, they attributed the lion share of the difference to the exhaust system.

The system on the Sedan is far more restrictive.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Wow but to be over 20HP difference just on the exhaust they must of stuck like 6 cats on ours...and maybe only 2 on the coupe...HHMMM! What exactly with the exhaust is the difference...anyone? Is it less cats?

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The dealer where I got my G35 told me that thier parts manager actually modified his sedan's muffler to get the full 280. He said that was the only difference in the HP. I saw his car with the new muffler and it looked great and purred quite nicely.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I'm interested i doing this but I don't know if the under-car exhaust channels are differently cut out in the sedan. That's what's holding me back. I want it to be a simple bolt on, although I know it may be a little too much to ask for. But for 20 extra hp, double tips, and a nice purr I would go a long way... Does anybody else know about this? Please advise...

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan Ivory Pearl/Graphite Leather Sport/Premium/Aerokit

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
This whole extra 20HP from the muffler business seems quite fishy to me to be honest. I don't see how a bolt on mod of a muffler and duals cat-back will add a 20HP difference and from the dyno numbers I have seen people talking about the coupe dynoing at 226 to the rear. There is no way they are loosing 54HP in drivetrain loss...which leads me to believe that Infiniti way overestimated the coupes HP...226 is awfully low for it being rated at 280BHP...

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm with you Chaz. At this point, I'm fairly convinced it's marketing BS to distinguish between the various models in Nissan's lineup using this engine.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
This whole "not the right horsepower figures" thing is driving me crazy! The other day my friend brought me an article from Road & Track explaining how the Nissan Altima not only beats the Maxima in 0-60 acceleration, but also takes it by .4 seconds in the quarter mile! I mean what the f**k is going on! There is clearly a 20hp deficit between both cars! [rage] You pay about $10K over an average V6 sedan in order to get superior performance and luxury that excels in value from a premium V6 sedan, and you end up with this. I will be real deceptioned If the G35's numbers are that in the hole. Another thing is would the VDC take away horsepower in the dyno? Maybe they didn't switch it off during the tests??? I don't know, I just hope we get to the bottom of this, and soon... Thanks for keeping us in touch with this matter VQ & Chaz, I know you guys are trying your hardest.

XL

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Chaz

This whole extra 20HP from the muffler business seems quite fishy to me to be honest.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, I didn't actually race his with mine to see if there was actually a speed increase, but I'm just relaying the information I heard from the dealer. I'm sure their parts manager would love to share his info with you about his modifications. The dealer is North Houston Infiniti (281-569-3100). I don't know his name, but I'm pretty sure he told me he was the Parts Manager. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Any other research on HP figures? Thanks...

XL

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
For those of you who may not know, the Altima 3.5SE, Maxima, and all the G35's share the same VQ engine. Now my question is, why is the Altima 245bhp, Maxima 265bhp, G35S 260bhp, and the G35C 280bhp? Are these figures taken from the crank? And if so, are the HP differences results of compression, intake, or exhaust makeup? Or do all the cars produce 270bhp at the crank (To state an example), and the numbers are stated differently just to variate the models? We need some insight on this...[irk]

Thanx

XL

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello everyone, new here first post by the way, been lurking for a little while.

It could be due to a combo of things
1- diff exhaust
2- the coupe has and I quote from infiniti's site "High-flow tuned induction system with micropolished tract and ports." whereas the sedan doesn't get the micropolished tract and ports.
3- Also the ECU could be programmed differently. I dunno for sure just conjecture.

by the way im am now starting to consider G35 sedan as a replacement for my WRX. Looking to purchase late this year early next. The 2 cars Im looking at are the G and WRX STi. Are the rumors true about AWD being offered later this year? I've also heard of a sports sedan w/supercharger offering possibly, any truth to these rumors?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">2- the coupe has and I quote from infiniti's site "High-flow tuned induction system with micropolished tract and ports." whereas the sedan doesn't get the micropolished tract and ports.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I saw a Nissan commercial this morning that claimed they did this on the Altima, which I'd assume means it's on all VQ based cars.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
96 Posts
Interesting. I remember reading a magazine article on the 287-hp VQ from the 350-Z, and it stated that the driver kept hitting the rev-limiter because it was kicking in at or before 6400 rpms. My sedan has the same redline, an I have several times bounced it off of its 6800 rpm rev-limiter. Think it matters that the Z has more power? What people often fail to consider is HOW LONG are you able to apply that power to the street. Those of you real-world street racers out there know what I mean... an extra 400 rpm can make a worls of difference.[smoking]

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT
Silver / Graphite
Premium and Aero Packages

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
G-Man,
A higher redline doesn't necessarily mean more power. The key is at what point in the rpm band does peak power occur. After that point, all you are basically making is noise. For example, if peak power occurs at 5800 rpm, it is essentially useless to go above 5800 rpm, even if the redline is 6500 rpm.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by donpalombella

G-Man,
A higher redline doesn't necessarily mean more power. The key is at what point in the rpm band does peak power occur. After that point, all you are basically making is noise. For example, if peak power occurs at 5800 rpm, it is essentially useless to go above 5800 rpm, even if the redline is 6500 rpm.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Don has a point. The only reason I can see that you would want to go over is in the case of manumatic shifting, where you want to slightly overshoot one or two hundred rpms to have a head start on the next gear's power band. Happy xzellerating!

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
254 Posts
The coupe has an electric cooling fan-the sedan has a belt driven fan--that could easily be 5-7 hp[cheers]

CMEGOBYU
G35s Pearl,Sport,Aero

1 - 20 of 27 Posts