Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of people that want the SAT, as there are so many posts both here and on other forums. However, and this is strictly my opinion, I don't see what the bid to do is all about. For $300 (atleast) plus install plus $10+ per month for subscription, I'd much rather get an I-Pod hooked up to play through the radio.

I do put a lot of miles on my car, but I've never been itching so bad to listen to some decent music that I'd want to spend that much. Any desire to do so had been cured in 5 minutes either by songs on the radio changing, or poping in a CD.

Please no one take this as an attack on those that want the SAT or already have it installed - I'm sure you're enjoying it and hope you feel its was worth the $$$. This is just my opinion and I throw it out to the group to gather your thoughts.

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I'm totally with you on this one jarrett. Not into SAT, and would much prefer an iPod solution. That's why I'm waiting for blitzsafe to come up with an AUX cable to convert the SAT button into a hard-wired iPod solution (doub't I'd be happy with FM Modulation). Personally, I HATE paying monthly subscription fees. It's why I haven't gotten TIVO yet either -- well, that and the fact that I don't really watch that much TV [;)]

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
86 Posts
To each their own. If the IPOD is the way you want to go, then I am sure that some people would have questions regarding your decision. I just think that $280 is not that bad of a deal for SAT radio. Besides, until they come up with a way to get around the FM modulation there really is no reason to go with the IPOD. Honestly, downloading MP3's from the net and transferring them to your IPOD is not legal. There is a possibility of being caught doing so. If you are caught, then the SAT suddenly becomes a hell of a lot cheaper.

'03 G35 6MT Black Obsidian/Graph/Aero/Prem/Clear side markers/Drilled aluminum pedals

GFG1-5's on the way

·
Registered
818 Posts
JB...I just think that the desire to always have the latest and greatest and something the other guy DOESN'T have, is a big factor for many guys to spend on the latest toy...Whether you need it or not!!

Sat radio's appeal to me, is the possibility of endless tunes COMMERCIAL FREE (Sirius only)... if I have to listen to commercials, then I may as well listen to some of the excellent stations here in Chicago like WLUP...and forgo the $10+ a month!! On the other hand, if you drive alot, the never ending commercials DRIVE YOU/ME NUTS!!!

With a 6 CD changer and a full CD pouch, you're pretty much there, but hitting that SAT button and having crystal-clear, commercial free tunes has it's appeal too, since I can't carry my CD collection around town with me in a car with such limited storage space...[V]

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero/Prem

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jotay21

Honestly, downloading MP3's from the net and transferring them to your IPOD is not legal.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No one said anything about downloading illegal MP3's from the net and transferring them to an iPod. I have thousands of legally purchased songs that I would love to have access to in my car. The majority of which are encoded with AAC, which is far superior to MP3 in terms of sound quality. To me, that's much better than having the commercial free stations that might not play songs that I like. The beauty of iPod is just that. Access to a huge library in a very small package, at the touch of a button.

Great product -- just needs more support from auto manufacturers. I agree. Until a good hard-wired solution comes out, the quality of the music will not be very good and hardly worth it. I wish someone would come up with a nice INTEGRATED permanent dock for the iPod in this vehicle. That would be the end all!

-Ken

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Well, I've had both, a 12GB MP3 player mounted in my CL...

...and Sirius in the CL and G35. While the MP3 player was great, I never got to hear "new" music, or discover new songs that I wasn't familiar with. After a while, it got kind of old. Trust, me, I had 2,500 songs on my MP3 player, and 90% of them I would skip... just get tired of hearing the same thing over and over.

With Sat, you have a ton of choices, so you can listen to a lot of different types of tunes... sometimes I'm in an 80's moood, sometimes I want something different. Plus, no commercials.

But of course, I miss having an MP3 player a LOT! I'm back to making CD's and that definitly sucks. But all in all, I like the Sat better, I can just sit back and let someone else DJ!!!

My $.02

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Good points, VQ. I just can't get over the whole "subscription" thing. If it didn't have that, I'd probably be interested. Call me cheap if you want.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Driving cross country and being able to hear something other than Christian preaching (especially if that something other is stand up comedy) > *

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
74 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

I just can't get over the whole "subscription" thing.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

For broadcast media, the alternative to not paying for the media directly, is to be subjected to commercials. One way or the other, the broadcaster must make money. Heck, most people where I live pay for the television broadcast (via cable or satellite), AND are subjected to the commercials as well.

I used to own a Sequoia, which I had XM installed. I drove my truck from Texas to California when I moved, listening to Xm Comedy the *entire* way. It's hard to beat uninterrupted alternative programming with coverage from coast to coast.

When I first traded in my truck and bought the G, I missed the Sat radio immensely. I was calling the dealer regularly to find out when it would be available. It took too long, so I picked up a 20GB iPod, ripped a couple hundred CDs, and am good to go. Although I am not really fond of the sound quality of 128 bit AAC files played through a cassette adaptor....the G's Bose system isn't that good to begin with. :'(

I still wish I had the flexibilty and choices of categorized music offered by Sat. But, I am not about to stick an ugly (IMO) shark fin on my beautiful G. And unfortunetly, the G is too short to even get away with sticking something (ribbon antenna) on the roof without it being noticed. Oh well.

peace

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by gumbee

For broadcast media, the alternative to not paying for the media directly, is to be subjected to commercials. One way or the other, the broadcaster must make money.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Since I work in advertising, I know this all too well... doesn't mean I have to like it! [:D]

·
Registered
74 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh
[brSince I work in advertising, I know this all too well<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Damn...5 minutes to respond. That advertising job must give you some extra free time. Now that Iknow how you make a living, I see your true motive for knocking on Sat radio (advertising free). [;)]

peace

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by gumbee

Damn...5 minutes to respond. That advertising job must give you some extra free time. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm at home today... sort of a vacation day. [:D]

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm considering puting the Sirius receiver in, and found on their website that for $400 you can get lifetime service. Seems like a big investment, and if you don't like it your screwed, but if you do that would be pretty sweet. Especially if you can take out the receiver and put it in a new car a few years down the road.

Black 2003.5 6MT - Willow - Nav - Premium - Performance - Tint - Nose mask

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Gotta see if it's only for that receiver though. That's how Tivo works, so if you ever want to upgrade and get another unit, you have to sign up for new service.

See if the lifetime service is connected to you or the receiver.

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love my XM. I never thought I would want it and always used an mp3 player in my previous car with fm mod. Once I got my pre-wired G35c 6mt, that non-working SAT button made me crazy. But, the dealer wanted close to $700 to install XM and of course they would have put that ugly hump on my roof. i bought the XM equipment from grubbs for about $285, install was a snap and I put the antenna on the rear cargo shelf between the speakers. I almost never get drop outs and if i do its only for a second. I enjoy the service so much that I bought a Delphi unit for my wife's Tahoe. The variety of music is great, plus news, sports and comedy, etc. If you try it I'm sure you'll understand why people like it so much. oh yeah, also the sound quality is excellent.[rockon]

·
Registered
550 Posts
$285.00 is a great price..Anybody have the code for August's discounts there

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
6 Posts
The promotional discount code through the end of August is "AUGUSTFA"

the price has gone up to $329, but the discount code will bring it down to $312. still about $100 less than my dealer wanted.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I sent an email to Sirius regarding their lifetime service plan:

With the $399 lifetime service plan does coverage continue if I change cars or purchase a new receiver in a few years? Is it my lifetime or the life of my receiver?
Thanks, jason

Dear Jason,
Thank you for contacting SIRIUS regarding our Lifetime subscription plan. Any receiver is eligible for this plan. The Lifetime is tied to the receiver and not the subscriber. If you were to sell the receiver, the Lifetime plan would accompany the receiver. It can not be transferred to a new unit. This subscription remains in effect if your receiver needs to be repaired or replaced due to a malfunction while the receiver is still under warranty. Proof of this warranty will need to be faxed to our Customer Care group to continue the Lifetime subscription.

Sounds like a pretty good deal; a lot of money up front, but if you can swap the receiver into a new car it would be worth it. $320 for the receiver + $399 for lifetime service = $719.

Black 2003.5 6MT - Willow - Nav - Premium - Performance - Tint - Nose mask

·
Registered
336 Posts
What I am pissed off about is how the stereo read out doesnt show the song name and artist. Half the reason why I bought this radio was to get that shite. SOB![banghead]

·
Registered
550 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by butlermd

The promotional discount code through the end of August is "AUGUSTFA"

the price has gone up to $329, but the discount code will bring it down to $312. still about $100 less than my dealer wanted.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks Butler [cheers]

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

1 - 20 of 51 Posts