Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took delivery of my car, the front left rim and tire had some very slight damage to it and the dealer said they would replace it, but would take a few weeks to order the parts. It's now been over two months and the rim/tire are still not in and I've got almost 3500 miles on these tires.

Now, the damage is very slight. Hardly noticeable, but naturally I'd prefer to have it all nice and new. If you were me, would you hold out for the new rim/tire or would you say screw it and try to get the dealer to give you something else, like a full set of mudguards or something like that instead? It's probably not a big deal, but I'm not wild about the uneven wear I'll have -- particularly since these tires can't be rotated.

Any thoughts?

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Kloh, did both the rim and tire have damage? If the the tire's damage cannot be easily perceived, by all means just swap out the rim, and you'll maintain your treadwear...

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes XL, they both had damage, but the damage on the tire is hardly noticeable. Just a small area (about a half inch) that is cut and peeling off. I could easilly just cut it off altogether and no one would probably notice. Thanks for the suggestion of swapping just rims. Would you be worried about tread wear or am I just being too damn anal?

-Ken

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Kloh, I probably wouldn't have the best suggestion since tire damage is not something that has ever profoundly affected me in comparison to wheel damage for that matter. Remember my G20? Well I had a couple trial and error ventures with the suspension, suffering consequences for it as well.

I once lowered it a bit too much and the tread on my brand new Toyo Proxes had deep cuts which soon turned into peeling sections of rubber. It wasn't so bad since it was in the tread section rather than the sidewall, but it still did not bother me since it's a tire after all, and it's going to progressively wear anyways.

But then again, I'm not a hard person to please. Think about it either way, and consider what you really want to do. Maybe you can keep the tire and do what you said, and get something else from the dealer in place of the tire replacement such as mud guards, credit for a rear spoiler, etc. It's your call!

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
74 Posts
Kloh,

I think only you can decide whether the wheel/tire damage is acceptable or not. If you are *truly* anal, as I am, you should ask them to replace the opposing front tire as well. The uneven tread situation was not caused by any action on your part. It is the dealer's fault for not keeping their original commitment to you.

peace

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Call Infiniti Consumer Affairs. They'll in turn harass your dealer. The dealers are incentivized to keep you happy as Infiniti is trying to eliminate their Bargain Lux reputation. With any luck, your dealer will get on the ball and stop screwing around.

Incidentally, if this is a 6MT, I've heard the 18" wheels are absurdly difficult to get ahold of for the dealers but perhaps getting them and corporate talking about this will ease a bit of that for you.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I don't have a 6MT, but I do have the performance tire package with the 18's which is why it's taken so long for the parts to come in.

-Ken

1 - 7 of 7 Posts