Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys!

So great to find this forum. My 09 G37X is fantastic and loving it every day!

It now has 81000 miles and went to dealer for oil change yesterday and service rep informed me that I need ATM fluid, brake fluid, Power steering flush which i know my car is due for, but what the heck is Engine Internal Cleaning($185),
AWDS service($249.95) and Fuel Injector service($170.00)

Fuel Injector service can be done with any decent cleaner? dealer perform any other procedure?(my car doesn't have any symptoms of bad injector)

I'm familiar with M/B/P flush but never heard of Engine Internal Cleaning and AWDs service.

I will look forward to hear your opinions

thanks in advance!!!

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
Those are all cleanings and flushes pushed upon owners by dealers to make more profit.

I would suggest you look in the owners manual at the recommended service intervals and the fluid changes recommended at certain mileage intervals. Infiniti pushes the 3750 mile oil change but that is the premium / severe duty schedule 1 service. Most vehicles fall under normal duty schedule 2.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
As Gilley said, the profit center for most dealers is the shop and dealer services. They are not bashful about pushing these things and really, a list of genuine services from the owners man won't all hit you up on the same day.

Look at your ownership and services history and that of the previous owners if it is documented and go from there. Most cars have a few things to do at 15k a few others at 30k and so on up to 60 and 90k. A few things on that list will be repeated every 15 some every 30,000. Even then, you can spread it out so you don't drop $1500 all at once.

I'm guessing AWD service is the transfer case fluids. Engine flush (internal engine cleaning) has always been a no-no on my list. Today's oils have everything needed for keeping the motor clean.

Fuel injection service is something that may never be needed but at 60k it can't hurt. If the engine idles rough, stumbles under power or something, it may justify the FI service, otherwise, a healthy running car is telling you some of these other things are slightly bogus - if not really needed.

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
One thing to remember is service writers can be on commission. So it's in their interest to offer possibly unnecessary services to you. Generally, if the service they are offering is not written in the owners manual I don't pay for it.

Also, your car is out of warranty, unless you bought an extended warranty, which means you can get less expensive services done to your car at other shops. I only went to the dealer for warranty work and anything where I needed a loaner vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much guys!!
My extended warranty ends this coming September so I will flush all three liquid with independent shop and will go back to the dealer for suspension problems i'm currently having.
so i shouldn't worry about internal service and AWD service......

I just put decent injection cleaner and it works fine!!!

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Thank you so much guys!!
My extended warranty ends this coming September so I will flush all three liquid with independent shop and will go back to the dealer for suspension problems i'm currently having.
so i shouldn't worry about internal service and AWD service......

I just put decent injection cleaner and it works fine!!!
Yeah get any warranty stuff tracked in the system early enough so you got it covered.

Indep shops do a good job with the other services and usually undercut dealer service depts on most things.
Skip the internal engine flush and if the manual shows the AWD trans case needing a fluid change, go by the schedule it shows if you want to be legit.

This stuff here gets the most reviews and good one's for a once-in-a-while injector cleaner that is widely used by most car enthusiasts.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
"What is Engine Internal Cleaning and AWDS Service???"

This is the factory authorized way to separate you from some of your money.
lol ! They may have learned a lot since the mid 1990's but I can tell you of experience when I was working at a dealership where a customer complained the motor blew up after one of those engine cleaning flushes that used chemicals or solvents in between the oil change.

If I were to flush or clean my engine, I'd get some good ol dino oil (nothing fancy or real pricey) and run a fresh oil change / filter then blast the car around the highway a bit getting it good and warmed up. Driving a bit spirited for a week or so, maybe 300 to 600 miles then dump it and do your regular o/c.
I'm not sure what would cause me to think I'd need to do that but in my personal opinion, there isn't much safe for the internal parts of a motor, various metals and other things - just oil really.

Things are different when you already have problems or issues and sometimes you just try something as a long shot or a last chance act of desperation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts