Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experieince with auto wax. I am looking for some advice on whats the best wax to use on my new G35 Coupe w/premium package, laser red with graphite leather oh yeah and a trunk mat. Let me hear from you guys out there.

RJC

·
Registered
77 Posts
[:D]rcastle, you wouldn't think it, but waxing is actually a very "personal taste" kind of thing. as of joining this forum and a couple others dedicated to the G, I've found out about something called Zaino, which I'm told isn't a wax, but a polish. It's a very involved, about six step[boink] process that supposedly really protects the car. It isn't cheap. But there are devotees that swear by it.

Me, I'm not quite there. Yet. At any given time, I have on hand about six or eight different waxes. I give them away to friends who don't even bother to ask; they just know I've got something for them.

Lately (meaning in the last four years or so), I've pretty much restricted myself to Meguiar's for paint, Eagle One or Meguiar's for wheels, and 3M for paint cleaner (Mirror Glaze, Fine Cut Cleaner-this is a cleaner to get rid of minor surface problems not a cleaner prior to waxing a car). All are over the counter products while Zaino and some of the others are by mail order, mostly. Altho I have to admit that Meguiar's does have me on a mailing list and I did once buy their premium cleaner and wax which was a bit better but not worth the extra dough.

To be fair, others swear by other products as well such as Liquid Glass for paint protection and P21S for wheels. I've used both, and still have Liquid Glass and use it occasionally on the headlights or wheels. But LG is almost $17 for 16 ounce can at stores; a lot of dough.

Here's what I'd suggest to you. Meguiar's makes a car wash called "Gold Class". It's sold at lots of stores but Target has a one gallon size that'll last you forever for $9.99. Then I'd use the Meguiar's Gold Class wax (which is different from the maroon bottle wax/cleaner combo).

I won't assume anything, so don't be offended. Try to wash your car in the shade so that direct sun doesn't dry the car. Before soaping the car, give it a good rinsing all over to wash off any dirt that will come off that way. Do it to the wheels as well. Wash from the top down and don't allow soap to stay on the car (meaning soap the top and wash it, soap the front and wash it, soap the fenders, etc.)

If your wheels aren't that dirty, you may be able to use your regular soap and a separate rag, but AFTER you've washed the body of the car. If they're dirty or you're particular, get some Eagle One specifically for your wheels (they make several types but generally you can use Eagle One A-Z or Meguiar's HOt Rims All Wheel Cleaner).

It's good not to leave this stuff on your wheel too long therefore best to shoot it on and let it soak for a couple of minutes (note that time) then scrub and thoroughly rinse with a strong stream---in the spokes, up the spokes, curving in back of the spokes, thru and on the calipers, etc.) I've done it so that when I get ready to rinse the one wheel off, before I do I go spray the next wheel with cleaner. Usually, it's about the right amount of time to let the next one soak. I usually just let the wheels air dry and wipe off the rest of the car. I'm not sure if it helps but sometimes I put a light coat of wax on the parts of the wheels I can get to, mostly the outer surface. I seldom treat the tire part since it'd only be on the outside (I'm not THAT fanatical that I'm gonna crawl under the car to wipe the inner part of the tires), but I do once in a while. For that, I've got some old Eagle One stuff.

And that should just about do it. Of course, clean towels or synthetic chamois or whatever you choose to use. As for the waxing, again, in the shade is best. In fact, in most cases you'll make a mess if you try to do it in the sun. Some products such as Liquid Glass say it helps to put on multiple coats (they say wait four hours or some such thing), but I just figure a wax is good for as long as it looks good. Don't know where you live but that could be a week, a month, or a few months. But not longer.

As to cleaners prior to waxing, I've noticed that it is not necessary every time I wax the car. True believers would seriously disagree with me and they would probably use something called a clay bar to get their car surface absolutely smooth. I don't disagree that they're doing a tremendous job; it's just a bit much for me. So, every once in a while when I notice after washing the car that the surface isn't slick enuff (after drying), I'll use a cleaner from Meguiar's.

Oh yes, obviously try and take off the bird droppings, leaves, sap, pollen, etc. as soon as you can. That which doesn't come off with a little wet paper towel may require a little urging with some other stuff like bug remover or some such that is safe for clearcoat surfaces.

This has been my methodology for the last five or so cars and it seems to work reasonably well. Red is not the easiest color to last well, but it can with work. So good luck. Is this long enuff for you?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts