Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first really nice car I’ve owned, so please forgive the novice questions. I’m smart enough to steer clear of the auto washes with big sponge brushes that smack the car as it goes through. I usually go to the places where you drop in some quarters and use the high pressure gun. My big question is how do I dry it? My last car was also black (a Saturn) and after a year it had all these ugly swirl marks when you looked at it in the sun. Was this just because it was a cheap car, or are there special ways/products to use for drying so this won’t happen.

- Desperately seeking a nice wood dash kit for my black 6MT.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use those high pressure washer things on my van everytime I go on a trip with it. It never seems to get all the "dust" off. I use a washmit on my Gcoupe when I wash. As for drying, I use a highly absorbent, synthetic cloth called "the absorber" (ironic, no?). No wyping, just blotting.

2003.5 6MT Black/Graphite Coupe Premium Aero

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I use the absorber as well, it is a very nice product. a friend of mine uses a chamoise (sic) and loves it. both of these can be found at your local autozone/pep boys/etc.

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

·
Registered
818 Posts
JTB...Get yourself 3 (Yes 3!) wash mitt's...ONE is for washing the body panels ABOVE THE BOTTOM OF THE DOOR ONLY!!...The second is for washing the WHEELS ONLY...the third is for WASHING ALONG THE BOTTOM OF THE CAR BELOW THE DOOR ONLY and the wheel wells...NEVER use the mitt that washes below the door on the body panels!! This is where the MOST ABRASIVE CRAP is found and will scratch the shit out of your finish if you bring all that dirt from the bottom UP onto the body panels...NEVER use the wheel mitt for ANYTHING but wheels!! The brake dust will also SCRATCH THE SHIT out of your car!! Use a CAR WASH DETERGENT, not household liquid soap or anything like that!! Terry cloth or absorber to dry is good, but don't rub if the surface is dry!! WAX IT every 90 days or so... I learned this when I had a black 240 SX and it made a BIG difference....[smoking]

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero/Prem

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Instead of rubbing a dry surface, do you use some kind of detailing spray to get the water spots off?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yeah...I have this detailing spray to do in water spots...I also spray the rag AND the surface, THEN wipe...

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
mofo, what detailing spray do you use on the water spots?

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips fella's. You guys rule.
[rockon]

- Desperately seeking a nice wood dash kit for my black 6MT.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A technique to majorly assist in the quickness of drying is to use one of the properties of water. Water likes to stick together (cohesion/tension), so you can use this to make the water run off your car. What I do is after I'm done using sprayer nozzle on my hose, I take it off so it's just the bare end of the hose. Then run that over the car and a it will make a "sheet" of water, which will all run off leaving you a dry and spotless surface. It turns the surface from a bunch of little dots of water that are a PITA to dry to a few separated globs. Start at the highest point and let the water do its magic. Then I just blot those and I'm done. Never get water spots or anything.

For a waterspot spray I use Meguiars "quik-detailer." smells nice and does a great job on water spots.

·
Registered
40 Posts
wow quick reply. I suggest everyone try it once, because I guarantee that you'll be doing it every time. Case in point, about 2 weeks ago I decided to try that Eagle1 "Wax as you dry" stuff. Right after washing and doing the water trick, I read the instructions for using the stuff. It says spray on wet car and wipe off. Well the water trick had my car so dry that there were large sections that had no water at all on them. So I put back on the sprayer nozzle, selected the watering plant pattern, and had to wet her up again.

On a side note, the wax as you dry stuff worked pretty good. The wax didn't last very long, but I'd say that if you don't have time to do a proper wax, then this stuff is pretty good. Spray on a wet spot and rub off. Left my car smooth as glass. Last week I did a Meguiars "3 step deep crystal system.(see here http://www.foximas.com/auto/meguiars-quik-wax--16-oz.htm" It consists of :
Paint cleaner, Polish, Wax. Happy with the results as usual, and I am going to put on a few more coats of wax tomorrow I think.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Kloh...I use all Meguiars stuff...quik detailer for water spots...The car wash detergent..Gold Class...is the BEST...You can literally FEEL the difference!! I've also been using their tire GEL (not spray or foam) the gel blows away the sprays and foams and doesn't screw up your driveway...Really nice gloss that lasts[thmsup]

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
ok trust me on this.. USE TERRY CLOTH! i think that is how you spell it, OR do what i do..

goto your local pep boys and buy the Turtle glove, its a really soft matreal and will run you about 6 dollars..

also buy the Turtle Wax MIRACLE TOWEL.. this is also a very soft cloth and WILL not scratch or make swirls in your car.. For the rims, buy Wheel cleaner, today i bought Black Magic Wheel Cleaner for 4 dollars.. Im going to try it out tommorrow but it is susspose to work really good from what i hear..
remember to keep those leather seats procted.. Buy some Armorall leather wipes or spray!... good luck with your G..

<center>
</center>
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe
Mods:
K&N Air Filter

·
Registered
818 Posts
Bizz...Looks MINT!!![thumbup]

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Might want do a search for "interior" before you go with armorall. I think alot of people use Lexol. I have a friend that works at Oriley's Auto Parts, and he told me about another leather cleaner, but I forgot what It's called. I'll ask him tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by 1CRAZMOFO

Kloh...I use all Meguiars stuff...quik detailer for water spots...The car wash detergent..Gold Class...is the BEST...You can literally FEEL the difference!! I've also been using their tire GEL (not spray or foam) the gel blows away the sprays and foams and doesn't screw up your driveway...Really nice gloss that lasts[thmsup]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks, mofo... I've been using Meguiars Black Magic on my tires, but that's the only product of theirs I've ever used. It's very hot and sunny where I live and I definitely have a problem with spotting since the water dries so fast. Gotta do something about those spots!

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
yeah the Armorall wipes arent that good, i used them and now that i see the results i dont like it, because the wipes dry to quickly and now some portions of the leather are dull and others are shiny.. i have no suggestions on the leather.. i used the black magic wheel cleaner today, i used it on my moms santa fe.. with extreamly dirty rims.. the results..
on my infiniti rims which i clean everyday, the black magic worked extreamly well and washed away the brake dust in 20 seconds.. which ususally takes me 5 minutes a rim..
on my moms dirty rims, i had to scrub the rims with a wheel brush i bought a pep boys for like 4 dollars..

<font face="Verdana"><center>2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sedan : Briliant Silver : Black Leather : Premium Package
View my car at http://dbizz.cjb.net/g35/
Mods:
K&N Air Filter</center></font id="Verdana">

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
someone told me to get step 1 and step 2 from http://www.zainobros.com and apply step one and put step 2 right over it and let it sit for 45 minutes then wipe off.. i was told its the best wax used? anyone ever hear of it before?

<font face="Verdana"><center>2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sedan : Briliant Silver : Black Leather : Premium Package
View my car at http://dbizz.cjb.net/g35/
Mods:
K&N Air Filter</center></font id="Verdana">

1 - 20 of 51 Posts