Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb one [dunce] and/or found on another thread (takes awhile to go through ALL the pages)...What EXACTLY are the warranty implications of a cold air intake/or the Stillen Airbox?? Completely void??...maintain powertrain warranty, just not engine??...etc,etc...
Educate me, please...[grad]

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero/Prem

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Basically, from what I understand, in order to void the warranty, the dealer has to prove that the said problem was directly caused by a modification made to the car. So for example, if you add a CAI, then you have some kind of transmission problem, they would have to prove that the CAI somehow caused the transmission problem in order to not cover it.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

Basically, from what I understand, in order to void the warranty, the dealer has to prove that the said problem was directly caused by a modification made to the car.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Are you sure the burden of proof is on the dealer? I haven't read the fine print, but I'd expect that YOU would have to prove your mod DIDN'T cause the problem. Of course, I only think that because I expect them to cover themselves as much as possible, which may not be the case.

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hope this helps:

Taken from the SEMA website
www.SEMA.org

<u>Federal Warranty Laws</u>

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))
The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.

---------------
AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]
2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The burden of proof is upon the dealership.

Struan87, you are like a research god or something. You are always busting out the useful links.[bowdown]

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rlipps

The burden of proof is upon the dealership.

Struan87, you are like a research god or something. You are always busting out the useful links.[bowdown]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes he is. Nice job Struan! By the way, are you related to Struan69? [:D]

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rlipps
I appreciate it, but I gotta give props where props is due--SirMilton posted that link.[bowdown]

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot
Yes he is. Nice job Struan! By the way, are you related to Struan69? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Um
Um
Should I be?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by struan87

I appreciate it, but I gotta give props where props is due--SirMilton posted that link.[bowdown]

Oops! Sorry SirMilton, that was meant for you. Actually both of you are always right there with good info. Sorry about the mix up.

·
Registered
869 Posts
no biggy, I try to help out where i can[^]

---------------
AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]
2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
28 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by struan87

Basically, from what I understand, in order to void the warranty, the dealer has to prove that the said problem was directly caused by a modification made to the car.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Are you sure the burden of proof is on the dealer? I haven't read the fine print, but I'd expect that YOU would have to prove your mod DIDN'T cause the problem. Of course, I only think that because I expect them to cover themselves as much as possible, which may not be the case.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think that you are probably very right about the aftermarket owner having to prove that his aftermarket part was not to blame as most dealers would accuse!!! Dealers are dealers, most of the time they do a grreat job but you know you pay for it big time when you use their parts for normal repairs. You will never get anything "free" from the nice dealer, no matter what. Prepare to spend thousands more than the actuall cost of repair if you use a lawyer "to help you win" an arguement with a dealer because you will have to call technical experts to testify on the mechanical failure eyc eyc . If its about winning then go for it. If it is about getting coverage for having fun with your car from a dealer I would not repeat, would not, bet on it......[banghead] CALL YOUR DEALER FIRST AND ASK THEM IF THEY WILL COVER YOU, INSTALL IT FOR YOU, REPAIR IT FOR YOU BEFORE YOU HAVE SOMEONE DO SOMETHING MAJOR FOR YOU.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
If you let the dealer screw you out of warranty work because you have a CAI that didn't cause the problem, then you are a (pardon my french!) PUSSY for not sticking up for your legal rights as a consumer. The dealer, by law must have substantial reason to believe and proof that the said part cause said problems, otherwise they must abide by warranty.

P.S. Why is it "pardon my french" when we curse in English??? Anybody?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts