Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK picture this, you manually turn on your headlights, get to your destination, park, don't heed the "beep beep" warning that your lights are on, shut your door, and go do what ever.

Now you are a cautious person, so you've got a set of jumper cables, and an emergency battery charger in your trunk "just in case".

Now you come out of wherever and try to start your car, but the battery's dead. Knowing you have the necessary equipment in your trunk you try to get it, but the trunk release in the car is electric and the the key fob release is electric and there's no manual trunk lock to open (unless I'm an idiot and can't find it).

I noticed this when i swapped out my headlights and disconected the battery and left the bulbs in the trunk.

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
There's a manual trunk release next to the VDC switch.

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi:

Good observation! With everything being electronic, a run down battery can cause a lot of problems. Only way I can think of opening the trunk would be to lower the back seat rest, crawl into the trunk and use the emergency trunk release. It's on the inside of the trunk lid.

6MT DP

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

There's a manual trunk release next to the VDC switch.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

kloh, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that even that switch is electrically controlled...

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

"In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve -- it's what you take."

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rlipps

kloh, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that even that switch is electrically controlled...
hmmmm, I suppose it could be... anyone want to unhook their battery and give it a try?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I thought I remembered that being the case when I disconnected my battery at the track... thanks for the confirmation!

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
that is manually operated, but would be a major pain in the ass to get to. I mean think about it... You are carrying 8 heads in a duffel bag and you need to get them out the trunk but your battery is dead. do you really wanna crawl all over your car and drag 8 heads in a duffle bag all the way through your car just to get them out??? [hypno]

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Kloh that is not a manual truck release.. that is an electronic truck release next do the VDS or what ever switch.. to open your trunk manusally..
In Sedans..
Pull down the rear arm rest and open the little door, and pull the black string or the glow in the dark handle..
In Coupes..
Pull the seats down and pull the string or glow in the dark handle..

Have funnnn .. ps bring it to infiniti to get it checked..
..ps the g35 has a battary saver where all electric gets shut off after 5 minutes, RiGHT?? or am i wrong?

<center>
</center>
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe
Mods:
K&N Air Filter

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, and I am certain that the the switch next to the VCD will not work with the battery disconnected. Also, as far as climbing through the back seat, I thought the back seat release is in the trunk, didn't know that you can pull the back seats down without first pulling the handle thing IN the trunk. So pulling the glowing handle would certainly work but only if you had the foresight to release the rear seat locks.

As far as the battery saver, my battery was disconnected for no more than a half hour before i tried the trunk. May this "battery saver is a newer feature on late 2003 models as i took delivery March 31.

And again we arrive at the same problem.

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, there is a "button" on top of the back seat that releases the lock. This way you can get to the trunk without pulling the lever from INSIDE the trunk.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dubiux

Hmmm...can you even open your doors if the battery's dead? I mean, will the window automatically lower a tad like it usually does without juice?

nope, sure won't

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dubiux

Hmmm...can you even open your doors if the battery's dead? I mean, will the window automatically lower a tad like it usually does without juice?
You see, there's this thing called a "key"... and you insert it into something called a "key hole" which is generally located somewhere near the door handle. Turn the "key" clockwise until door disengages. Now, you can proceed to enter your car.

I'm just messin' with ya, dubiux... [:D] The door CAN be opened without the windows lowering, but it CANNOT be closed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

You see, there's this thing called a "key"... and you insert it into something called a "key hole" which is generally located somewhere near the door handle. Turn the "key" clockwise until door disengages. Now, you can proceed to enter your car.

I'm just messin' with ya, dubiux... [:D] The door CAN be opened without the windows lowering, but it CANNOT be closed.

[boxing] [:D]

I don't want to go down to my car to double check right now, but I could have sworn that the window goes up into a lip when you close the door. How does it clear that lip without the window lowering?

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
You are correct in that the window goes up, but it does it when the door is closed to make a tigher seal. The curve of the window is designed to slide off that lip when the door is opened. It doesn't drop down until after the door is opened anyways. There's a "seal" button in the back of the door frame that you can push yourself to see how it pops back up -- which is why it won't "close" with no power. The button will be released, but no power will go to the window to drop it down -- meaning it will crack (or something else bad) if you try to close the door.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.