Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever replace the pulleys on their car?

I just noticed that Unorthodox has relased replacements for the G:
http://www.i-m-racing.com/unulss3puset.html

I am really curious how underdriving the accesories effects the cooling system, etc. Is the engine going to be running hotter? Would a replacement radiator (Nismo) be a way around this?

Is this a good "no-profile" (unnoticeable to other drivers on the road) mod, or not?

peace

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by gumbee

Anyone ever replace the pulleys on their car?

I just noticed that Unorthodox has relased replacements for the G:
http://www.i-m-racing.com/unulss3puset.html<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I was looking at all of the parts they have available on that site as well
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I am really curious how underdriving the accesories effects the cooling system, etc. Is the engine going to be running hotter? Would a replacement radiator (Nismo) be a way around this?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That would be a good idea in the first place, also, I would recommend a ligher flywheel as well if you are planning on lightening your moving masses in the engine.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Is this a good "no-profile" (unnoticeable to other drivers on the road) mod, or not?

peace
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

yes, with mods such as these, your car would remain a "sleeper"

if you plan on making your car a sleeper I would recommend:

SGP Racing 11.5:1 Forged Piston Set $1,320
Tomei 268 x 10.5mm Camshaft set $1,150
SGP Titanium Retainer Set $495
Aeromotive Import Fuel Regulator $250
JUN lightweight flywheel $425
Drop-in K&N air filter $50
Borla Exhaust ~$680
the pulley set $369

with these mods your car would have pretty much a stock exhaust note, and when looking under the hood none of the parts would be noticeable

granted it would cost you approx. $4740 before shipping or install on these parts i think that it could safely put you at or near the 300RWHP range in a NA car... I think it would be safe to say that you would shock many people. also, this set up would be good for about 125 shot of nitrous if you wanted to go that route (but then if you opened your hood people would be able to notice the nitrous, but the rest would still be hidden)

why do this instead of SC or TT?

well, first of all you wouldnt have boost stressing your engine. Secondly, your engine would be a lot stronger and have a much better fuel delivery system, and on top of that, you would be putting more ENGINE power to the ground via the pulley set and flyhweel.

Also, you might want to think about a stronger clutch, but I would just wait til the stock one burns out.

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

"In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve -- it's what you take."

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
P.S. the ~300 RWHP that I stated above is not based on any dyno numbers on the above listed products. It is just what I believe those parts could produce in our VQ35, and I also believe that the ~300RWHP guesstimate that I have made is possibly being a little modest...

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

"In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve -- it's what you take."

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get an orthodox pulley? It has to be kosher though.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
gumbee, no problem, i wish i could help with that mechanic problem.

lead, elaborate please...

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by gumbee

I think Lead is just pulling your leg.
Sometimes his jokes are a little hard to spot, but you'll get used to it after awhile! [:D]

-Ken

P.S. Lead, I laughed, I cried, but couldn't think of a good response so I just let it go...

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

Does anyone know where I can get an orthodox pulley? It has to be kosher though.

my eyes and brain were registering two different things. I thought he was asking for a kosher UNorthodox pulley set. that is why I asked for elaboration... because i know that they do make some unorthodox sets that will only slow down certain accessories... maybe then being a little more kosher...???

but now that i have read his post more carefully... lead, your a smart ass

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rlipps

but now that i have read his post more carefully... lead, your a smart ass

Gotta mix in some fun with the real stuff! [:D]

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Anybody slip one on? Your thoughts re: gains vs. claims, as well as how your A/C and other accessories etc. tolerated the swap? Thanks.

From http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0403tur_350z/

"The Unorthodox crank pulley is only 1 pound 5.2 ounces, compared to the stocker's 6 pounds 3.2 ounces. The Unorthodox alternator pulley is 3.0 ounces, while the stock measured 6.8 ounces. And the water pump pulley came in at 7.6 ounces vs. the stock of 14.0 ounces. That's a total weight savings of 5 pounds 8.2 ounces. On the dyno, the reduced weight, along with the pulley's 15 percent underdrive design, resulted in a gain of 6.1 peak hp as Peak output checked in at 244.9 hp. At 5500 rpm, we witnessed a gain of 9 hp"

2004 | 6MTs | Diamond Graphite/Graphite
Upstate NY

·
Registered
73 Posts
There's a recent thread about this on FreshAlloy:
UR Crank Pulley Installed

and possibly a couple of other recent ones (i.e. within the last couple weeks) either on FA or G35Driver, but I only have the one link handy.

-rca

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dholly

Anybody slip one on? Your thoughts re: gains vs. claims, as well as how your A/C and other accessories etc. tolerated the swap? Thanks.

From http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0403tur_350z/

"The Unorthodox crank pulley is only 1 pound 5.2 ounces, compared to the stocker's 6 pounds 3.2 ounces. The Unorthodox alternator pulley is 3.0 ounces, while the stock measured 6.8 ounces. And the water pump pulley came in at 7.6 ounces vs. the stock of 14.0 ounces. That's a total weight savings of 5 pounds 8.2 ounces. On the dyno, the reduced weight, along with the pulley's 15 percent underdrive design, resulted in a gain of 6.1 peak hp as Peak output checked in at 244.9 hp. At 5500 rpm, we witnessed a gain of 9 hp"

Upstate NY

2004 5AT Coupe | Blue-Graphite | Prem-Sport-Aero | NAV, in Boston?!? Yea Right, Guy

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Thanks rca, I've been seeing a ton of posts about this lately too. But I was just curious whether any of the regulars here had taken the plunge.

[edit] Well, besides that mad modder lead_foot that is! Thought we weren't watchin', did ya? [8D]
Upstate NY

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I did this many many moons ago (August 03?) and everything has run very well. As far as gains, it's hard to say because I think I did it at the same time I did the Injen CAI, but my setup has been running great since then. I'm now at 14.5K miles.

<font size="1">'03 AT Sedan~Tein Flex~EDFC~Cusco Sways~TS ECU~Injen CAI~Stillen Dual Catback~Stillen Rotors~SS Brake Lines~350z LSD~UR Pulley</font id="size1">

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rlipps, i was reading your suggestions all the way at the top saying how you would go about building a silent hidden fast car. And one of the things u mentioned is getting a Borla Exhaust? I thought Borla exhaust would be loud, how would gettin that exhaust keep your stock exhaust note??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been doing some searching, and from all the dyno tests info,
there seems to be a multitude of things that can alter the hp readings.
I am very skeptical when it comes to believing the marketing division
from a company trying to sell it's product.

I understand the theory behind the underdrive part, but as for the
weight, this seems to be a convincing arguement. 2-2.5hp gain in first
gear for a G35 or Z based on 300hp? Hrm....

Anyone want to check his equations?

http://www.stanford.edu/~mpg/lightened_components/lightened_components.html

Soon to be a G35 owner.
For now I just surf the web 30hrs/week reading!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by GaAAaR

Rlipps, i was reading your suggestions all the way at the top saying how you would go about building a silent hidden fast car. And one of the things u mentioned is getting a Borla Exhaust? I thought Borla exhaust would be loud, how would gettin that exhaust keep your stock exhaust note??

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I must have missed the thread when you first asked the question. From every review I have heard, the Borla is the most "stock-like sound" I have heard audio clips of the Borla, and I think if I were on the road, I wouldn't immediately assume that the exhaust has been altered.

·
Registered
50 Posts
what do u guys suggest borla exhaust and headers or stillen, witch has a better sound and performance in your opinion

1 - 19 of 19 Posts