Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Does any of you have a turbo in his coupe. Because I'm not going to spend my money on headres and intake..I'm planning to save and then go turbo "the real power".
If any of you guys already have it, tell me what's your wheel horsepower and your 1/4mile timing..

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am not much of a turbo guy myself, I think too many import guys discount the possibilities of the supercharger, and how much better they can be. me = supercharger fan[bowdown]

---------------
AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]
2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey Luder - try a search, you'll find alot of comment on this topic here and that there is no current turbo available.

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll just wait for the Turbo becuase I think that supercharger is a waste of money and the turbo the real power.

Rlipps....
you used to have a turbo 3000GT. plesae tell the guys how it feels when you rev your engine.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't mean to sound condecending, but I don't think you know what a Turbo really is.

Knowledge for the day:
A turbo charger is actually a type of supercharger.

You might also like to know that the Procharger is almost the same as a turbo and has the potential to make more power than these "turbo's" you speak of. Procharger has a kit availiable for the G35

---------------

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Sirmilton

I don't mean to sound condecending, but I don't think you know what a Turbo really is.

Knowledge for the day:
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I know all too well what a turbo is, and it is very different from a supercharger. When referring to Superchargers we refer to belt driven devices and when referring to Turbo Chargers we are referring to devices that run strictly off of the engines exhaust.

I am not too sure what the point of the whole, "I don't think you know what a turbo really is" was, but I hope it wasn't to suggest ignorance on my behalf. I may not know everything but I do know that when somebody says turbo they mean an exhaust driven unit, and when they say supercharger they mean a belt driven unit. So therefore (ergo), THERE IS CURRENTLY NO TURBO KIT OUT FOR OUR CARS.

Also, I think that your Knowledge of the day should have read:
A supercharger is actually a type of turbo charger. Particularly because it uses a TURBine to compress air.

P.S. SirMilton, I have realized that your response was most likely directed to h22_luder however, I think the facts needed to be said nonetheless. I did not mean any offense to you. I just don't want people to be misinformed.

·
Registered
869 Posts
rlipps, I figured you would know, and I was not referring to you.

The turbo is actually a type of turbo, not the other way around.

As for turbo kits specifically, the superchargers are considerably more reliable than a turbo and require much less maintenance.

I was standing up for the Supercharger because so many people dismiss them out of pure ignorance and watching stupid movies with bad explanations and misleading information cough Fast and the furious cough

SIDE NOTE: I am assuming you know I am well versed in forced induction, and the explanation for the difference was intended for others.

---------------

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Sirmilton

SIDE NOTE: I am assuming you know I am well versed in forced induction, and the explanation for the difference was intended for others.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I do recall learning this in other posts. I like paying attention to other's knowledge, and lack there of sometimes. You my friend, have a very good knowledge of turbos from what I have gathered, and may quite possibly be the resident expert on them.[bowdown] Which is why I won't dare to getting in a turbo knowledge bout with you or else I will end up [fight].

However, please explain "the turbo is actually a type of turbo, not the other way around"... haha, I am pretty sure that you meant to say something else, unless I am completely missing the point.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
And NOS is a form of a supercharger, it puts more O2 in the engine to support more fuel to increase power.

Kind of a chemical supercharger.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I don't mean to sound condecending, but I don't think you know what a Turbo really is.

Knowledge for the day:

Trust I do know what the turbo is and it has nothing to do superchargers..they are both forced induction but I'm very sure that the turbo will give more power and you can ask anyone who has or had a turbocharged car

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thanks rlipps, it seems as though I have jumbled my words, lol

Correction: A turbo is a type of Supercharger.

h22: I admire your faith in your turbo...

A supercharger is a device that forces additional air into the engine thereby producing above atmospheric pressure in the combustion chamber. Most commonly this definition would assume that the device producing said air is connected to the engine using it to spin the supercharger.

With that in mind, a supercharger covers 3 different mainstream types of mechanisms.
1) Positive Displacement
2) Centrifugal
3) Rotary

1) the positive displacement is what is found on almost all production vehicles with superchargers (Ford, Jaguar, Mercedes, GM, Nissan, and a host of others). The Pos. Disp. spins linear to engine RPM's.

2) the centrifugal design is by far the most potent of superchargers, it uses a turbine style compressor housing. The compressor spins exponetially to the engine RPM's. This type of supercharger is driven either by a belt, or by a second housing with an exhust side mated to it and driven by exhaust gasses.

3) not so commonly known, the Wankle rotary engine was originally intended to be a supercharger rather than an internal combustion engine... turns out it was better at the later.

Now that I have clearly pointed out the different types you may be able to see where the word "turbo" comes from - turbine. With that in mind you may feel fit to call the Procharger Supercharger a turbo, since it falls under the same style and looks almost identical minus the exhaust side.

To further help you understand the potential of turbo vs supercharger consider the most powerful street and track cars out there, do they use turbo's or superchargers?... they later is true. Top fuel Pro drag cars use Positive Displacement superchargers. Hot rods, such as Mustangs and Camaro's and old model hot rods use Positive Displacement superchargers and Centrifugal superchargers running from the engine's pulley system.

The only cars that use turbo's are cars that have not got enough tourque to make any real power down low and therefore counteract this with high end horsepower.

And finally as I stated before Superchargers are more reliable than turbo's mainly because turbo's are not self lubricated and need additional oil plumbing. This is most problematic in aftermarket kits, superchargers are self lubricated and are most often maintenance free.

The answer to your question then is "technicaly they do make a turbo for the G35, it is made by Procharger... if you want a turbo, go get it and impress your friends with your technical explaination for why it is actually a turbo.

This will be available as a PDF download at a later date[crazy]

---------------

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by h22_luder

Hey Guys,
Does any of you have a turbo in his coupe. Because I'm not going to spend my money on headres and intake..I'm planning to save and then go turbo "the real power".
If any of you guys already have it, tell me what's your wheel horsepower and your 1/4mile timing..

Does any of you have turbo in his coupe?
What the hell are you trying to say??

<font face="Verdana"><center>2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sedan : Brilliant Silver : Black Leather : Premium Package : Auto
View my car at http://dbizz.cjb.net/g35/</center></font id="Verdana">

·
Registered
869 Posts
bizz, Gard, no reason to get picky... I am just trying to help inform, not argue about grammar.

If that was the case we'd never get to the topic of conversation, and always be arguing passive and active voice, rather than symantics; which is what i am doing.[boxing]

---------------

·
Registered
55 Posts
I intend to drive my G on the streets. It's fine just as it is.

My race car is a BMW 2002 - (1974 vintage).

[:I]

'03 G35 Coupe / 5AT / Carrib Blue / Willow Leather / Sport Wheels

·
Registered
869 Posts
you have a 2002, awesome dude

---------------

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Bizz, my good friend, I'd suggest that you are the last person that wants to be correcting grammar.

·
Registered
336 Posts
u guys should elaborate on such topics as keen as a johns hopkins laddy may be and illustrate the literature so amoungst all your colleagues we can experience the subject on a whole u smart muthaf****'s

Please do me a favor and go smoke a bowl, youll thank me for it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts