Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone:

I'm new to the board, just signed papers on a Silver G35C 6MT with Premium Package and NAV. Now, I'm concerned. I pick the car up the first week of July. Now, I live in MA and this would be my only car. I would like to know how many of you have driven the G35C in the snow with the stock tires. If you have, how bad is it??? I love the car so much, but it's been so long since I've had a RWD car ('78 Chrysler Cordoba) ;) that I don't know how far RWD has come.

Anyone drive their 6Speeder in the snow?

Silver 2003 G35C Premium/NAV

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I live in Chicago and I can tell you that the summer tire package is not all that great in the snow. Like you, this car is my daily driver. So based on my experience in other cars with snow tires, I bought a set of 17" rims and Bridgestone Blizzak LM22's. Problem gone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd get winter tires. My g35 6mt has the brembo's and 18 inch wheels. They don't really stick that well on snow. But I have a crap box that will be my winter driving car. If you have the 18 inch wheels, you may have to do some scouting around to find rims that will fit that size and offset, and will also be staggered. so start checking out shops in July or sooner and get price quotes. My infiniti dealer in Toronto was offering a wheel and tire package for a special $1500.00cdn. The rims would be alloy and I think the tires would be Dunlop. Also, the infiniti dealer said that you should get an alloy wheel because the stock rims are lighter and by putting on a heavier steel rim (even through the winter) you may damage the suspension over a long time. (You decide on whether this the truth or a way to spend more).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by donpalombella

I live in Chicago and I can tell you that the summer tire package is not all that great in the snow. Like you, this car is my daily driver. So based on my experience in other cars with snow tires, I bought a set of 17" rims and Bridgestone Blizzak LM22's. Problem gone.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Did you buy 17" Infiniti Rims or something aftermarket? What did you pay if you don't mind my asking...and where did you get 'em? Do you only need them for the rears or all 4? It's been so long since I've had a RWD car, I'm clueless. [:I] Thanks for the info man.

Silver 2003 G35C 6 Speed Premium/NAV

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
tmk70 -

if you haven't already checked it out, xzellerate is selling a full set of 17's here at this thread.

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
77 Posts
don't worry. [boink] I'm heading back to snow country (altho not as much as don p.) and this will be my only driver, too. that said, I've seen other posters and they all talk about calling/going online with tirerack (tirerack.com). apparently, tirerack does a lot of these rwd cars and for the gcoupe with 18's and Brembos, it's a safe switch to something called the Fox 5 (which is, I guess, a five spoke wheel) 17". I saw it on their website at 149 each, I think. If it were me, and it soon will be, I'd almost certainly go the extra set of wheels, 17", maybe alloy, and definitely snows of some good kind like Blizzaks.

I'd also talk directly with tirerack people; again, I could be wrong but I thought I saw a name like Luke or something--someone help me out with the names.

I have no connection to the company but I've been buying tires there off and on for over ten years and when I ask for advice, they have it. PLus, South Bend where they're located gets a lot of snow and they test out the tires themselves (they just moved to a new facility with a test track!)---I read their ads and I've visited them about seven years ago just to put a face with a name.[bigmouth]

Hope this helps. Don't worry too much. I'm hoping things will be just fine---for you and for me![:D]

·
Registered
27 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by BONDg35c

I'd also talk directly with tirerack people; again, I could be wrong but I thought I saw a name like Luke or something--someone help me out with the names.

Yeah, it's Luke. Tirerack has an entire folder on freshalloy.com with all kinds of info, so they're pretty used to getting business from G owners.

"Moderation in all things, including moderation."

·
Registered
27 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by tmk70
that I don't know how far RWD has come.

Hiya!

I'm a California girl so fair warning - you can totally ignore what I say. HOWever, I am a big fan of rear-wheel drive and have traveled enough on business (Canada) to have lived in the snow for awhile. [boink]

While rear-wheel drive has come a long way - the coupe WILL allow us to accelerate into a sharp leftie without oversteer, for instance, that benefit won't translate to a snow-covered road as much as deep tread tires will. As I've learned from the techies on the various forums, 90% of performance is dependent upon your tires. If the treads fill up with snow, you won't have traction, pure and simple. When that happens, it doesn't matter how much you baby your accelerator to avoid skids, or how much the vehicle stability or LSD kicks in - you won't be able to stop.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by shelleycat

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by tmk70
that I don't know how far RWD has come.

Hiya!

I'm a California girl so fair warning - you can totally ignore what I say. HOWever, I am a big fan of rear-wheel drive and have traveled enough on business (Canada) to have lived in the snow for awhile. [boink]

While rear-wheel drive has come a long way - the coupe WILL allow us to accelerate into a sharp leftie without oversteer, for instance, that benefit won't translate to a snow-covered road as much as deep tread tires will. As I've learned from the techies on the various forums, 90% of performance is dependent upon your tires. If the treads fill up with snow, you won't have traction, pure and simple. When that happens, it doesn't matter how much you baby your accelerator to avoid skids, or how much the vehicle stability or LSD kicks in - you won't be able to stop.

Hope that helps!

Wow...this post should be bronzed!!! Thanks for the lesson, Ms. Wizard!!![cheers][grad]

Silver 2003 G35C 6 Speed Premium/NAV

·
Registered
550 Posts
Miami is snow free. Another advantage to living in the Sunshine State. Right XL?[cheers]

Finally !! | 2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my coupe the day after x-mas so I got to experience some of the white stuff. I always thought I could do anything if I had a manual transmission. Boy was I wrong. Absolutely the worst car I ever drove in the snow. Didn't matter if it was 6" or 1/2". Got caught in a storm one night and ended up parking it in another neighborhood and having my wife in her CRV come pick me up. Paced around the house all night worried that someone in a snowplow would come around a corner and whack into it. Finally went back around midnight, dug it out and nursed it home safely into the garage. Never tried to drive it again if there was anything on the ground.
2003 G35C 6MT Prem/Nav/Aero

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in Boston with the stock 17"s, and they weren't very good in any snow over 1" deep. Plowed roads were fine, even if it wasn't down to the asphalt, there just couldn't be any loose stuff. If you have the 18"s, those tires are even worse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.