Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having a hell of a time making my driving smooth. ive driven manual for years but with much weaker cars (last was Sr5 toyota).

any tips on making my transitions between gears smoother?? i especially have a hard time when i'm accerating at a slower pace (going to second at 10mph, 3rd at 20mph). thanks!

2003.5 Sedan 6MT, Black, Graphite.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ran into this too. Believe it or not, the FASTER you shift gears the smoother it shifts. The revs go up and down very quickly, so you need to get the clutch in, gear selected and clutch out quickly as the revs are falling. Otherwise you will have to give it gas to match revs while upshifting.

After some practice you will have it. Took me about 5-6000 miles to get used to it. If you install the hyperground kit, the revs go up and down quicker so your shifts have to be faster.

2003.5 Sedan Leather 6MT Metal Matrix Pads, K&N Drop-In, Exhaust Resonator Removed

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's all about the practice. I came from a 5 speed FWD world and it took a good 5000 miles and some serious practice in the parking lot to get it right. My acid test is my wife who seemed to enjoy reminding me that if I bought an Automatic, that this would not be a problem. Now, not a word about the driving, except how nice the car is and why doesn't her Honda Odyssey go this fast....Anybody going to build a 400 HP mini-van for me?

Ken

G35/S/6MT DP over Graphite, Premium.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Find an empty parking lot with a lot of space and play with it until you understan what exactly the car is looking for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. i thought i just forgot how to drive manual or something. and yes my wife also likes to poke fun at my choppy driving! only have 700 miles on my car, and much to learn.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My roommates teased me mercilessly when I got it because I was very "choppy" as you describe it as well. This irritated me because I consider myself a pretty confident manual driver. I took one of them with me to a large parking lot and he immediately stopped giving me shit as he had the same problems. It took about 1 half an hour for the two of us to work out a fairly flawless shifting accuracy.

Another friend drove my coupe the other day. His family owns Ferraris, Porsches, etc and he also had the same problems. It's just a VERY tight suspension that's rewarding once you learn it but takes some practice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's funny reading this because I have the *same* problem, and I've been driving sticks almost exclusively for 20 years. What makes it worse is I still have my 94 Sport Explorer (5 speed, low revs, torquey, heavy clutch) and my motorcycle (redline's at 12K, loves to be shifted hard) so bouncing between the three has my timing all screwed up, but I get used to it pretty quickly. Had the 6MT for a month now and can drive it pretty smoothly.

What's really funny is when I get in my wife's Cherokee (or a company car) which is automatic and go to clutch, and hit the brakes so hard we all almost go through the window. Done that a time or two.......

[dunno]

2003 Silver 6MT G35 | 2001 Silver Bandit1200S | 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport | 1994 Ford Explorer Sport | Assorted Other Junk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've never owned an MT, but plan on ordering one right after the holidays. Now you hve me wondering. 5-6K miles to learn how to drive it? [bigeyes] I was thinking it would take me a few weeks to get pretty good and a few more before I was naturally shifting without thinking about it.

Should I switch to the auto for the G35 and wait till I can afford to own a 3rd car (sports car) to buy an MT? [dunno]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't do it. Get the MT and learn it. It's well worth it. I drive upwards on 100 miles a day, mostly on the freeway in moderate traffic. 5,000 miles for me was the first 2 months. The time actually concentrating on what I was doing was about 2 weeks. Wait until you get about 1500 miles on it, then find yourself a nice empty parking lot with a 1/8 of a mile straight run and work it out. The end result is seemless driving, way better gas mileage, longer life brakes and the MT costs less to begin with.

G35/S/6MT DP over Graphite, Premium.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get the manual trans. For the years you will have this car, the week/month of learning is well worth the extra fun and greater interaction you will have. I was semi-smooth with shifting within 1 day, and very smooth after a week. My previous cars were auto, and still no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like I said above, pretty much every car I've ever owned has been a MT. I learned on my parent's automatics and wondered why every hot sports car or big 4x4 was an MT.......so I got one, loved it and never looked back. Unless you are so uncoordinated that you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, you'll be able to learn, and it will be second nature. You might want to try to "learn" the basics on another car first because you will stall it, you will lug it, you will run up the revs looking for the friction point, and you will miss shifts but that stuff goes away after a while.

2003 Silver 6MT G35 | 2001 Silver Bandit1200S | 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport | 1994 Ford Explorer Sport | Assorted Other Junk

·
Registered
9 Posts
My driving was choppy too at the beginning but, like everyone said fast shifting is the key, but fast doesn't have to rigid. It's all in the wrist!
Also, since you only have 700miles on the car you still need to break it in, and the shifting will be smoother after that, the gears will be sanded and feel lighter too. It's a real good transmission once you get the hang of it!
Good luck

·
Registered
869 Posts
when I test drove it I had no problems. I liked the type of gearbox, very crisp... some people complain that it is too notchy, but I like how sure it seems, it almost clicks into gear. I was used to that feel from my g/f's Z3, saome style... shift quick, but not hard. This is indicitive of a true sports car transmission.

---------------
AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]
2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts