Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i got a quick question...how the hell does this valentine one help you out anyway? If it picks up radar, whats the point of knowing that you are already cought? How does the radar detector prevent you from getting cought?

By the way...is it legal in california?...if i have one and am traveling at 65mph(the speed limit) and the cop is next to me, can i look over smile and tap on my radar detector to piss him off? or is he gonna pull me over?

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Radar sends radio waves out all over the place, much of which is out of range of the little handheld gun the cop uses. If you pick up the extraneous signal before you get in range of the proper signal, you'll have slowed down before you get there.

Laser detection on the other hand is worthless.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by hyeteck

By the way...is it legal in california?...if i have one and am traveling at 65mph(the speed limit) and the cop is next to me, can i look over smile and tap on my radar detector to piss him off? or is he gonna pull me over?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

well if i were the cop i would pull you over, then beat you senseless with the billy club and claim that you became agressive and non-cooperative.

but i think there are only two states in which radar is illegal and they are both on the east coast... i believe CT is one?

and semi explained the purpose of radar detection quite well... also, with the V1 you can see which direction the signal is coming from, a feature which definitely comes in handy

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

"In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve -- it's what you take."

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Unless the information I found is outdated, D.C. and Virginia are the only places they are illegal.

http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/radar4.html

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
who here actually has one of these detectors that can tell us of a few encounters where they were saved from getting a speeding ticket!

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a lot Gardiner! the link was extremely usefull but the conclusion i came to is that the radar detector will only save you if the police has his radar on which really sucks because the police might have the radar off and just be pacing you from the back.

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
The radar detector can save you if you are in a pack and the operator is targeting other nearby vehicles. Your detector can pick up those stray signals and warn you. If you have time you can coast down or brake (looks guilty) and maybe not get caught. The lidar has a much tighter beam and is harder to get stray signals. Most of the time when a lidar detector goes off you have been targeted.

Good luck

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just placed an order for a brand spanking new Valentine One Radar detector from valentine1.com Just over 400 dollars with shipping and stuff. I got 30 days to try this sucker out if i don't like it, im sending it back for refund..lets hope it works well for me because i have platinum plus tints on my car that has metallic stuff in the film so i hope it doesn't bother the detector!

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by hyeteck

I just placed an order for a brand spanking new Valentine One Radar detector from valentine1.com Just over 400 dollars with shipping and stuff. I got 30 days to try this sucker out if i don't like it, im sending it back for refund..lets hope it works well for me because i have platinum plus tints on my car that has metallic stuff in the film so i hope it doesn't bother the detector!

Don't worry hyeteck. You won't be disappointed. Once you see that that baby in action you will be a believer and worship the powers of the V1. hehe [:D] I have one BTW if you can't already tell...

'03 AT Sedan | Twilight Blue | Willow Leather | Premium

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
[hypno][hypno][hypno]One day I will own one, just waiting for a friend to buy me one as a gift.[hypno]One of my friends on the forum.[hypno][hypno][hypno]You feel compelled to buy Gardiner a V1 don't you?[hypno][hypno][hypno][hypno]Oh yes, must buy Gardiner a V1.[hypno][hypno][hypno][hypno]

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I suddenly have a strange urge to send a Valentines card to Gardiner... but it isn't february... [dunno]

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

I suddenly have a strange urge to send a Valentines card to Gardiner... but it isn't february... [dunno]

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

[lol][lol][lol]

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Don't worry hyeteck. You won't be disappointed. Once you see that that baby in action you will be a believer and worship the powers of the V1. hehe I have one BTW if you can't already tell...

'03 AT Sedan | Twilight Blue | Willow Leather | Premium

I'm going on a little road trip (about 400 miles in 2 weeks) so i hope this thing will show what its got since its all long highways with no traffic and highway patrol doesn't usually pace there cuz there is no use in wasting gas for a very ltitle chance in catching someone so they just sit with radar guns or set up speed traps, i hope this V1 will protect me from that because i don't like driving in a straight line for a long time so ide rather get off the road as quick as I can if you know what i mean. I hope the V1 comes in this week.

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

hey chaz...do you have tints on your car? or know of anyone with a V1 that has tints?..does it bother the detector?

2003.5 6MT Sedan

ooh! ooh! that would be me, i have 5% tint on the back and it doesnt really bother reception from what i can tell, every weekday i cross a 24 mile bridge with mile markers and half mile markers before every crossover(where the cops sit with radar). I typically get warned of Ka anywhere from 2-4.5 miles before hand from the front if they are aiming in my direction and 1-2 miles if they are aiming in the other direction. from the back i get about 2-3 miles if they are aiming in my direction and .5-1 mile if they are aiming in the opposite direction. those are average-maximum range numbers... which to me, are very impressive.

i bought the V1 13 days ago, and the 30 day return period has not even crossed my mind!~

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

"In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve -- it's what you take."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my V1 for 2 years now and it has paid for itself
about 30 times allready. The only downfall about it
is that it does not pick up laser beacuse laser doesnt
stay on all the time like radar.

One time that i can remember i was saved
It was a thursday nite into friday morning around 1 A.M.
and me in a hybrid civic hatchback and my friend in a worked civic si
were in second gear rolling start on the parkway
three honks later we took off
we were at about 90 in 3rd gear and my V1 goes off
so i honk at him and flash the lights
we both slow down and he stays about a car length infront of me
and were both doing 50 (the speed limit was 45)
and two seconds later about 200 feet away was a county police officer
waiting on the side of the road with the radar gun on waiting
as we passed him we both looked at each other and wiped our foreheads
If i didnt have my V1 we both would have spent the nite in jail
had our cars impounded prob lost our licences because at the time we could have passed the officer we would have been over 120mph

MY V1 is my american express card, because i never leave home without it

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
So it seems that you can't protect against laser, but aren't most cops using laser now? Doesn't that hurt the benefit of a detector?

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.