Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been threads about this topic in the past, but I haven't seemed to gain a complete understanding of the consensus of the group. What are you guys putting in your 6MTs? I've always been a fan of Mobil One's Synthetic. I have about 3600 miles so a change is right around the corner for me. Thoughts?

Diamond Graphite/Diamond Graphite 6MT SC

·
Registered
550 Posts
Synthetic is a great Oil...Excellent Quality, but in my opinion, an overkill. I think its really not necessary. If you use a High Quality Oil that is non-synthetic, you will ge in great shape. You will also save money and not have to worry about sticking to Synthetic forever since you chose to go that route. [cheers]

Finally !! | 2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
17 Posts
[^]
Dude I am going with Mobil one as well... it is super cheap at Costco and Walmart....

TC
[bigeyes]

"There is a Very Fine Line Between "Hobby and Mental Illness".

·
Registered
119 Posts
Been on Mobil One for the last 6500 miles with one change. Never going back. Just got over 27 MPG on a freeway run in the Sierra's. It's pretty cheap at Costco.

G35/S/6MT DP over Graphite, Premium.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I use Canola.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
A friend of mine that lives down here in Broward county changed his oil to synthetic, and sees no noticeable difference, if anything a slight decrease in midrange acceleration. I'd stick to the original Castrol. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've used amsoil in my last 3 cars and no problems. I added it at ~100K miles on a '94 integra and temps dropped at least 10%, same when I added it to a '96 prelude with 68K miles on it. I'm currently using it in my vq35 altima and will change the coupe to amsoil at 10K miles.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Linh my vq35 altima<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nice car! What color & trim?

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can you lengthen the oil change period with synthetic oil? I read it has a higher breakdown temperature, so it should last longer right? Infinity recommends every 7000 miles if you don't do a lot of stop-n-go driving, could this be increased to 10k or more with synthetic?

A co-worker has a BMW 325i and says he only had to change oil every 15K, what's up with that?

Darin
-----
6MT Sedan-Brilliant Silver-Premium-Aero-Winter

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Sure you can go 15K on the same oil if you want to. You must filter it very well and keep the additive package in shape. If you do that correctly you would not even need to change the oil. The problem with oil is it get dirty and the additives break down.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette
2003 S10 Extended cab
1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
550 Posts
7000 miles in my opinion is pushing it...I take zero chances when it comes to car maintenance. . Especially living in Hot or cold areas where there is a concern for Oil Viscosity. I grew up with the recommendation to change oil every 3000 miles. Down here, the average cost of an oil change is between $20.00-$30.00.
Some people recommend every 3000 and some recommend more. Why not be safe rather than sorry.. That's just my opinion. [cheers]

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
13 Posts
my 330i only required changes every 30K miles... this was according to factory spec, of course they use synthetic oil. 3K miles is just overkill, especially with synthetic. why change the oil when there's nothing wrong with it?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 3k standard only came along when Jiffy Lube's started popping up everywhere. I seem to recall it being 5k before they came along.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Linh

my 330i only required changes every 30K miles... this was according to factory spec, of course they use synthetic oil. 3K miles is just overkill, especially with synthetic. why change the oil when there's nothing wrong with it?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The oil does not go bad, it just gets dirty and the additive package wears out.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette
2003 S10 Extended cab
1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gardiner

The oil does not go bad, it just gets dirty and the additive package wears out.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yeah, and it starts to taste real bad too.

·
Registered
550 Posts
[:)] Jiffy Lube are jokers....They are all over for sure..A friend of mine popped in to one the other day and when he got home, he saw oil pouring out on to his driveway like an oil spill. He thought a hose busted or something to that effect . He went to get more oil only to have the same Valdes Oil Spill happen again.

When he had the car towed to his dealer , they noticed the oil plug had "dropped off." Can you believe that....?
Anyway, my friend sent Jiffy a nice bill which they covered without hesitation...Talk about bad luck..

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.