Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all
I saw in the manual a recommendation that I keep the car out of the sun to protect the paint & leather. Since a garage is $60/mo at my apartment, I'd like some second opinions before I spend that much money. Here are the details:
* My car spends almost all day M-F in the parking garage at work; no sun
* I have a relective shade in the front window to protect the dash
* The sun does not shine at night
So basically, the only problem times are weekends and evenings. Any opinions? How much damage can the sun do?

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
To protect the interior, put a UV tint on the windows. Legally you're not supposed to tint the front windshield with any color, but you can put a clear UV tint on it. The sides and back can obviously be tinted, but check your local laws before you do. In any case, a clear UV tint will help with protecting the interior from sun damage. It will also keep the car cooler inside.

There are a few threads here on leather maintenance. Most of which recommend treating it with Lexol every few months or so. That will also help keep the leather nice and new.

I'm not exactly sure about what you can do to protect the exterior. I gotta believe there are some products that can help with this. Zaino? Anyone?

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
My dad just called and told me that my car will be at Grubbs tonight! It'll be ready tomorrow afternoon!! He also told me that there putting some kind of UV tint on there thats really good. I'm gonna see if I can borrow a friend's digital camera so I can get some pics a.s.a.p. . The countdown begins![jump2]

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I didn't want to post this in sedan or coupe, but it didn't seem to fit anywhere else. Is there a right place for questions that apply to both but aren't about wheels or audio?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I believe that windows on cars are naturally tinted for some UV protection, however, it is not a dark enough tint that would give you shade.

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I doubt the garage will offer you much worthwhile protection from sun, but it will offer you protection from other problems. I held off on owning my G until I was out of school and out of an apartment because I didn't want to subject it to people that were likely to ding the sides, both of which I encountered at a frightening pace on campus and at home.

It will also prevent jealous people from messing with your ride, something I'm finding increasingly common these days and it will deter theft. All things to consider...

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

I didn't want to subject it to people that were likely to ding the sides, both of which I encountered at a frightening pace on campus and at home.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm pretty worried about that, too. I've found a couple good spots at work and at the apt where I can stay away from other cars...only trouble is, this morning I went out to my car to find the sprinklers spraying gray water all over it![V]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It will also prevent jealous people from messing with your ride, something I'm finding increasingly common these days
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Woah, are you serious? Do you mean vandalism or what?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Woah, are you serious? Do you mean vandalism or what?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've had one tire slashed so far.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry man, that sucks[timebomb][timebomb][timebomb][timebomb]
I guess that's something to consider...it really makes me mad to think that people would behave like that, whether out of jealousy or spite or whatever.

Hopefully I'm kinda safe, though...my apartment borders a police station with only an iron fence inbetween. I doubt anyone would mess with a car in plain sight of cops. But you never know...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I hear that in some countries in the east they have extreme measures of security on their cars, such as electric shock devices and what not. Maybe if I had this on my G then nobody would want to put their filthy paws on it heh?

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.