Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought my 06 6mt I was having a problem with stutter/bucking when accelerating or just cruising at a constant speed it would every so often when in was nice out but when it was raining or snowing it would happen quite frequently so my first step was a fuel cleaner which did nothing to help. So I did some searching and somehow came across a thread the mentioned something about a MAF, the post didnt have the exact symptoms but was similar. I figured I would give it a try though, went to auto zone and got MAF sensor and a new filter because I was going to have to take it out anyway. Clean the MAF changed the filter and what do you know fixed the problem! Don't know if it was one or both that fixed the problem but I thought I would post this so hopefully it could help someone else out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The air filter defiantly looked like it could use a change and the MAF didn't look bad at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
intake maybe???

I just picked up my car last week with 68K on it and i noticed the same thing happen after i cleaned the car. I have an injen intake and I assumed some water got up in the filter, thought i hydro-locked the engine, but then it stopped after I ran on the highway for a bit.

Its raining crazy down here in the south today and it did it again today when I was at lunch. With work and a wedding I was in this past weekend I Haven't had time to pull the wheel well and make sure its water proofish in there. Any one else think that could be the issue before I pull the MAF?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had this issue before. I also have the Injen cold air intake so the filter extends rather far and is on the bottom drivers side right in front of the black grate so indeed it receives a lot of water when it's raining. I've had this issue where it was raining rather hard and was driving on a highway around 60-70 MPH passing cars up left and right and the car started to stutter and wouldn't accelerate anymore. I had to pull over to the side for like 10 minutes. I was so worried I f-ed the engine up and flooded it with water. Finally, I turned the car back on and attempted to go again. It went up to about 60 MPH fine but if I tried to go any faster it would just start to stutter again and wouldn't go past 60 MPH. I drove to my destination (another 45minutes) at 60 MPH. When I got to my destination (Wisconsin Dells) I turned the car off and was worried about it the entire night thinking it wouldn't turn on in the morning. Finally in the morning I tried it again and it turned on fine. I drove it back home (Chicago) without any issues, but at that point it wasn't raining anymore. Ever since then I've been kinda traumatized to drive fast in the rain and won't even drive if it's pouring cats and dogs. I've had it happen a few other times since then but nothing serious. It only happens when it gets wet though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had this issue before. I also have the Injen cold air intake so the filter extends rather far and is on the bottom drivers side right in front of the black grate so indeed it receives a lot of water when it's raining. I've had this issue where it was raining rather hard and was driving on a highway around 60-70 MPH passing cars up left and right and the car started to stutter and wouldn't accelerate anymore. I had to pull over to the side for like 10 minutes. I was so worried I f-ed the engine up and flooded it with water. Finally, I turned the car back on and attempted to go again. It went up to about 60 MPH fine but if I tried to go any faster it would just start to stutter again and wouldn't go past 60 MPH. I drove to my destination (another 45minutes) at 60 MPH. When I got to my destination (Wisconsin Dells) I turned the car off and was worried about it the entire night thinking it wouldn't turn on in the morning. Finally in the morning I tried it again and it turned on fine. I drove it back home (Chicago) without any issues, but at that point it wasn't raining anymore. Ever since then I've been kinda traumatized to drive fast in the rain and won't even drive if it's pouring cats and dogs. I've had it happen a few other times since then but nothing serious. It only happens when it gets wet though.
Try and clean the MAF sensor to try and narrow down the problem because even with the stock air filter it's pretty prone to rain being right behind the grill with nothing stoping water from hitting it. The MAF sensor is really easy to clean the longest part is letting it dry. It would be am easy fix for not having to worry about driving in the rain.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Try and clean the MAF sensor to try and narrow down the problem because even with the stock air filter it's pretty prone to rain being right behind the grill with nothing stoping water from hitting it. The MAF sensor is really easy to clean the longest part is letting it dry. It would be am easy fix for not having to worry about driving in the rain.
How does one clean the MAF sensor without messing it up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it's extremely easy all you do is take it out of your intake spray it a number of times let dry then replace. It has directions on the can.

·
Registered
145 Posts
MAF cleaner in a spray can at your local auto store. Worked with mine.
Yes it's extremely easy all you do is take it out of your intake spray it a number of times let dry then replace. It has directions on the can.
Cool! Thanks guys, I'm going to go today and do this.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
There are a number of vids posted on YTUBE as "how to" for cleaning the MAF and some might even be specific to the G.

I've read enuf about other's with the CAI / rainwater to keep me from going that route.
My guess is those that do have trouble from time to time are needing to or finding the sweetspot for speed of travel as it relates to aerodynamics.

ie; At certain speeds the air and water is very likely to be perfectly suited to be forced into the area of the filter. - Don't drive at that speed. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
ie; At certain speeds the air and water is very likely to be perfectly suited to be forced into the area of the filter. - Don't drive at that speed. :)
Trust me I've learned my lesson lol.

On another note - I cleaned my MAF yesterday. I ran to Auto Zone and bought the spray in a can. To my surprise though, it wasn't too dirty. It was a pretty simple process though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great replies on here, Thanks. I'm going to spray out the MAF and just cross my fingers when it rains i guess.....honestly rather have a stock intake box.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Great replies on here, Thanks. I'm going to spray out the MAF and just cross my fingers when it rains i guess.....honestly rather have a stock intake box.
The OEM set up looks like it brings the air in with no problems- maybe even forces it in better in some instances.

The CAI gets whatever is available as the slipstream allows. The looks of CAI and the change in sound are two things that may be of benefit though.
Rains here are not much of a deterrent for me if I were sold on any real-world benefits of CA but I am planning on the el cheapo cost of doing the polished Z Tube swap just to ditch the intake baffle that is stock.

Maybe it'll make the sound a bit nicer and it will brighten up the motor area and scream M O D !!! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a 2010 g37x having the same bucking over 2500 rpm issue- got some MAF cleaner.
Will update with the results.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts