Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you input directions into the stock nav system? I know it's not touchscreen, which I would think would make it impossible to enter in addresses.

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
11 Posts
during my test drive of the G35C w/ Navi, the salesman had me pulled over and gave me a full demo of the Navi System.

There is a word recognition dictionary (I can't remember the exact name he called it) that allows you to enter in one letter at a time (manuvering w/ the joystick) and the dictionary will try to predict your next letter by eliminating letters that would not follow or completing the word for you. oh, and there is a keyboard looking illustration and you would use the joystick to manuver from letter to letter. much like the video game systems.

I have to say the navi on the inifiti/nissans are bad ass. Not only can you get directions, but it will locate the nearest restaurant, gas station, etc, etc...

My only complaint was that it seemed really slow to calculate/process information.

2002 CL Type S
Satin Silver Metallic/Black Leather
- Injen CAI w/ bypass valve
- TEIN SS (5 clicks front, 7 clicks back)
- Comptech Sway Bars
- Painted front facial
- Recaro cell phone seat
- Polarg M4 in fogs
- JBL 300.1 Amplifier
- Rockford Fosgate HE DVC 10" sub
- Spoiler w/ clear LED
http://www.chikaihuang.com/kais_cls.html

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey chikai, what do you think of your CL-S? How does it compare to the G that you test drove? I am still thinking about the CL/TL's. I think the G has it on the outside, but the Acuras are sweet on the inside.

also, sounds like the navi might be kinda of a pain in the ass[:(] The birds eye view in the pictures looks pretty cool[:)]

·
Registered
11 Posts
The G and CL are two completely different beasts. The ride in the G is much stiffer and sport oriented. The CL (when I first got it) was plush and absorbed most bumps pretty well. If you want performance and enjoy great handling cars I would get the G. If you want a comfy interior and balls to the wall acceleration get the CL.

As for the Navi, although I don't have one, I still like Acura's.

2002 CL Type S
Satin Silver Metallic/Black Leather
- Injen CAI w/ bypass valve
- TEIN SS (5 clicks front, 7 clicks back)
- Comptech Sway Bars
- Painted front facial
- Recaro cell phone seat
- Polarg M4 in fogs
- JBL 300.1 Amplifier
- Rockford Fosgate HE DVC 10" sub
- Spoiler w/ clear LED
http://www.chikaihuang.com/kais_cls.html

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yeah its a tough call. The CL is damn nice inside, but the exterior is a little old looking. The exterior on the G is awesome, especially with the 18" rims!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Entering info is just as easy with the joystick and it keeps the screen free from fingerprints. It works similiar to the acura nav in that it limits the choices as you type and has an auto-complete feature.

You can also just enter the first few letters and then do a search and it will give you a scrolling list to choose from.

BS 6MT PREM NAV Debadged & Tinted

·
Registered
6 Posts
The reason why the Nissan Nav system is so slow is because it is CD based, not dvd based. This makes the system much slower then aftermarket systems that utilize DVD technology.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dragmod

The reason why the Nissan Nav system is so slow is because it is CD based, not dvd based. This makes the system much slower then aftermarket systems that utilize DVD technology.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Have the designers at Nissan never heard of Random Access Memory? The difference between load times on CD-rom drives and DVD-rom drives is not great. Assuming it can load the data into memory, that should not cause a difference.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new nissan nav is CD?!?!?! I thought it was DVD-based. All that data, it would have to be?

6-speed

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VQ

The new nissan nav is CD?!?!?! I thought it was DVD-based. All that data, it would have to be?

6-speed
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've no idea of Nissan's setup but the system in BMW's was CD based until last year. Usually, it's regionalized.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's crazy! My 2001 CL-S has a DVD navigation with the entire country and phone book on one disc.

6-speed

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I don't think anyone suggested otherwise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was originally familiar with the Acura touchscreen navi from my wife's 2001 MDX. I have now used the navi on my G35 for a few days and can make some comparisons.

Acura touchscreen is a little easier to use than than the Infiniti joystick, but it's also very easy to "touch" the wrong character on the Acura when trying to input an address.

I like the Infiniti birdview perspective on the map more than the plain map view on the Acura, but you can switch to map view on the Infiniti as well.

The voice guidance is a little more complete on the Infiniti than the Acura. For example...
Acura - left turn in 500 feet.
Infiniti - left turn in 500 feet at the end of the road (ie a t intersection)
However, the Infiniti can be somewhat more confusing when trying to be complete in the guidance. For example...
"slight right turn in 500 feet" when the road I am on has a slight curve to the right (not a turn) and there is a left turn available.
You can also set Infiniti much louder than Acura voice for those of you with hearing problems or those who play their music loud.

The retractable screen is much nicer in the Infiniti. When you know where you're going, just close it up out of the way. When it's out , it sits higher on the dash so easier to see while driving compared to Acura's positioning on the dash. And the tilt feature on the retractable screen makes it easier to reduce glare on a sunny day.

Overall, I like the Infiniti version in my G35 compared to the 2001 Acura MDX, but maybe acura's 2003 version is different.

Jim
6MTCoupe/DesertPlatinum/Graph/Prem/Nav/Aero

·
Registered
72 Posts
With today's technology, I'd don't think a voice recoginition system is too much to ask for. That'd be way easier than trying to type something in via touchscreen or joystick, and you could program it while driving.

"Computer, find nearest restaurants, mexican."

That'd be way cool.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
The M45 has voice recognition.

-Ken

-------
2003 G35C
5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have not tried any car voice recognition systems, but if it is anything like computer based ones (and desktop computers are more powerful) it would not work very well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts