Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Stillen Cold Air Injection System on their sedan yet? I'm thinking about ordering one and was looking for some feedback on it. Can you tell the difference in h.p. as their website says it gains as much as 11 hp for the sedan? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does an install of this type void warranty?

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT
Silver / Graphite
Premium and Aero Packages

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read, it doesn't void the warranty unless you would go into the engine itself and do some modifications. The only way the CAI would void it is if they could prove that the Stillen actually caused a malfunction in the engine.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by G-Man

Does an install of this type void warranty?

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT
Silver / Graphite

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My Infiniti dealer's service dept. is a direct distributor for Stillen. I can even get the supercharger (coming in July for the sedan & coupe) installed and the guy told me that it wouldn't void the factory warranty as long as it was installed at the Infiniti service dept. The G's tires are sure to spin with 360bhp, 5AT or 6MT.

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did install the Stillen CAI. Very simple process. Just remember
that you have to depress the tabs on the sensor to pull it off. I did not put it on a dyno. Subjectively, it feels that the performance is somewhat better, particularly on the lower end RPM range. I also have the Stillen exhaust. I didn't really feel any difference with that but the sound is great.

My Infiniti dealer refuses to install "anything that is designed to make the car go faster". There is no other dealer in the area so I'm stuck doing things myself or using a local speed shop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am leaning towards the Stillen over the Injen as this uses the current location (trying to avoid air flow problems/turbulence cause by location of Injen) and I have not heard about as many problems. Have a couple questions regarding the Stillen, after reading all related topics:

1) Is the filter element need to be treated with oil?
2) Does the supplied components fit inside the factory air box, or does the metal piece in the Stillen picture replace the factory box?
3) Any resulting problems, such as lean fuel mixtures, stalling after high speeds (as some mentioned w/ the Injen)
4) Anyone have to make ECM or other adjustments to compensate air flow, as some had to w/ the Injen?
5) Anyone's dealer willing to install?
6) Is the Stillen worth the extra $ compared to the drop-in K&H?

·
Registered
96 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Anyone have to make ECM or other adjustments to compensate air flow, as some had to w/ the Injen?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'd be interested to know, too, Don. I feel pretty comfortable performing the mechanical installation myself, but I don't have the equipment to adjust my ECU. Speaking of that, does anyone know if software exists to interface a laptop with a G35?

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT
Silver / Graphite

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The filter is oiled.
The stock airbox is replaced by the new Stillen airbox.
I have not had any problems since I installed mine.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by G-Man

I'd be interested to know, too, Don. I feel pretty comfortable performing the mechanical installation myself, but I don't have the equipment to adjust my ECU. Speaking of that, does anyone know if software exists to interface a laptop with a G35?

the Stillen is an easy install compared to the Injen. Also, there is no software that interfaces with the ECU to date. However, I do believe that Techno Square has completed an ECU mod and will do custom ECU mods for our ECU.

bizz, the Injen intake will only "suck up" water if you are careless or forgetful. You would not want to drive it through 6 inches of water for the same reason that you wouldnt drive the stock air filter through ~2.5 feet of water... because that is where the air filter is. Water in the engine is bad. although, there is such a thing as water injection systems that are injected via a direct port system that help to cool engine temps and combust air better. However, the water used in this system is a very fine mist that will "burn" more readily than a steady stream of water (such as that which would be experienced when driving your air filter into water while pressing on the gas (causing a vacuum in which water/air instead of just air is pulled into the intake plenum and dumped into the engine (ruining the engine).

pardon any incoherence available due to my non-sober state of mind at the moment. I will fix any afformentioned problems tomorrow when I am hopefully in a better state of mind.

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I think some (I know I did) may be confusing the Stillen Cold Air Intake (CAI) with the Stillen High-Flow Cold Air Box (CAB). See both at http://www.i-m-racing.com/infinitig35.html. Firsthand install and performance feedback from Stillen intake owners is great...but please, specify CAI or CAB to keep confusion to a minimum.

That said, why would anyone want the CAB vs CAI if the CAI is less restrictive and adds more HP? Are water ingestion issues limited to the CAI rather than the CAB due to it's lower filter location? And, what's the big improvement with the CAB (if any) over a stock airbox? Is it a performance part or simply a replacement part? Any other notable benefits/drawbacks to each Stillen intake system over the other?

Thanks.

2003.5 | 6MTs | dp/w | roof & winter pkg
Upstate NY

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dholly

That said, why would anyone want the CAB vs CAI if the CAI is less restrictive and adds more HP? Are water ingestion issues limited to the CAI rather than the CAB due to it's lower filter location? And, what's the big improvement with the CAB (if any) over a stock airbox? Is it a performance part or simply a replacement part? Any other notable benefits/drawbacks to each Stillen intake system over the other?

would you happen to have a pic of the stillend CAI installed in a G35? I know that the Injen CAI goes down into the front bumper, which creates a water ingestion hazard if you live in a place that floods easily. This is why I currently don't have one on my car. I live in New Orleans and we are actually BELOW sea level, so it floods if i sneeze three times consecutively over here. I know that people who have the Stillen CAB have notice gains on the BUTT DYNO (seat of the pants feel) but I don't believe that I have seen a true dyno graph for it yet.

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in new orleans too and im kind of hesitate on purchasing the injen cia, just because of the location of the filter. Im looking into getting the stillen cai (box) but the hp increase is very little, from what i understand. I also seen the other stillen cai on im racing, but they are out of stock. But I would also like to see a pic of any stillen cai installed on the g. Thanks

G35 Coupe/C.B./Grapite/6MT/Brembos/20% Mirror Tint

1 - 15 of 15 Posts