Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody noticed that G35's steering is very tight compared to FWD cars? I know this might be a good thing for stability, but I'm moving up from a 96' G20, and the steering was silky soft. Now that I have my G, I would only expect to get even softer steering since the drive wheels are in the rear, and there is no axles bulkying up the steering load, however not the case. Can anybody explain the engineering behind this? [dunno]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan Ivory Pearl/Graphite Leather Sport/Premium/Aerokit

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It doesn't sound like this is the right car for you.

The feel of the wheel is purposely tight because the car is designed around sports handling. It IS tight, but the reward is ridiculous handling compared to the competition. Sounds like you should have bought a BMW.

Edit: silly Semi, you're in the sedan forum...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

It doesn't sound like this is the right car for you.

The feel of the wheel is purposely tight because the car is designed around sports handling. It IS tight, but the reward is ridiculous handling compared to the competition. Sounds like you should have bought a BMW.

Edit: silly Semi, you're in the sedan forum...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Semi, thanks, but with all due respect, I did not count on suggestions from other individuals when I decided on buying a $40,000.00 car. I obviously test drove it first, and was completely content with all of it's amenities and designs. My post was not intended as a complaining session, rather an inquiry to find out what is it that made the steering as tight as it is.

I like the steering don't get me wrong, but I just wanted to know how they make it that way since most luxury rear-wheel drive cars are usually soft-steering as that is the intended purpose of "luxury". But in the G's case, I guess the title "Performance Luxury Sedan" commends it to have all the characteristics of it's brethren in Japan, the Skyline. One of these characteristics just happens to be a tight wheel. Even better for stability as I mentioned in my early post... [thmsup]

X

2003.5 5AT Sedan Ivory Pearl/Graphite Leather Sport/Premium/Aerokit

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Semi, thanks, but with all due respect, I did not count on suggestions from other individuals when I decided on buying a $40,000.00 car. I obviously test drove it first, and was completely content with all of it's amenities and designs. My post was not intended as a complaining session, rather an inquiry to find out what is it that made the steering as tight as it is. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My bad. I understand your intent now.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I like the steering don't get me wrong, but I just wanted to know how they make it that way since most luxury rear-wheel drive cars are usually soft-steering as that is the intended purpose of "luxury". But in the G's case, I guess the title "Performance Luxury Sedan" commends it to have all the characteristics of it's brethren in Japan, the Skyline. One of these characteristics just happens to be a tight wheel. Even better for stability as I mentioned in my early post... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That is indeed where the issue comes from. The Skyline has always been an intro-lux sports coupe/sedan.

Another aspect to this is probably a result of the drive-by-wire system employed throughout the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts