Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a road trip to San Diego this weekend and I encountered a problem that may be a fluke or may be something to be aware of. I'll probably have more info later in the week but I thought I'd send a heads up to you all.

My car died on the highway. This happened to me once before shortly after purchasing. I was driving on a street here with little traffic and the car just turned off. It behaves like the key is in the on position but the car is off. The Navi still worked and the stereo played but the lights on the dash went out and the engine shut down. Additionally, I lost power stearing and power breaks. The first time was not a big deal and I assumed some weird gremlin.

Today was a little more disconcerting. I had just come east through the mountains on the outside of San Diego. Had it happened a half an hour earlier, I would have been flying through the twisting road at 80-90mph (love this car...) which could have been VERY dangerous.

As is, I was doing 85 on the I8 and the engine just died. I pulled quickly to the side and the car started right back up with no sign of trouble. I have no idea of the cause but I'll let you guys know what the dealer tells me when I take it in this week.

Be careful on the winding roads.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
[:O] Man that sucks. I haven't heard of this... yet. I wonder what that would be, bad coil? Keep us posted with what the dealer says.

I hope it all works out OK. You're right, wouldn't want to loose power (and brake/steering) when doing some "spirited" driving.

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Semi On,

Thanks for reporting this... please do keep us informed, and I'm glad you're okay.

-Ken

-------
impatiently waiting for my Diamond Graphite...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far, they haven't found a think. The service owner wants to put 100 miles on it with their little computer attached so they can monitor everything. I got the distinct impression they hadn't even checked the engine...

At this point, I'm considering selling it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wow, Semi that really is a downer...i have been think for the last week...if i should hold off of purchasing this car...i mean...until they have fixed all the bugs and stuff...seems like this is their first gen and we are the guinea pigs...[:(!]

Glad you are ok bud...

FLaCo = SKiNNy

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Semi, that sucks. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Or any other problems with this car? This does make me a little nervous about getting the car -- but I want it so bad! My dealer had 2 yesterday that I passed on because they weren't the exact color/packages I wanted, but I was so tempted to go ahead and get it.

-Ken

-------

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Flaco, right on man. This is exactly what I did with the sedan. Waited 1 year, all bugs got exterminated, bought the car. No problem yet[:D]. Hope none come along either... Peace to all you guys and good luck with problems/fixes.

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan Ivory Pearl/Graphite Leather Sport/Premium/Aerokit

·
Registered
4 Posts
It sounds like electrical problem. It could be a loose electrical contact between the comupter and the sensor, or even any ground wires not properly tightened to the metal chasis. Ask your dealer to check the whole electricaly system of your car and look for loose electrical contactts. Hope this will help.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
May be wise to hold off a year to allow them to get all the bugs out first. I have had 3 recalls on my sedan since mine was one of the first on the road. Took my ride in to get them fixed an received great service and all were done in a timely fashion. Haven't had any problems with my car yet...

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> It could be a loose electrical contact between the comupter and the sensor, or even any ground wires not properly tightened to the metal chasis. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As an EE, this was of course my exact thought as well. However, the fact that they called me, told me they plugged their computer to it, found nothing and wanted to know if they could drive it a bit longer and then admitted the technician hadn't even been there yesterday has me questioning whether or not I trust these monkeys to do what's necessary to keep me safe in my new car. Obviously, the first culprit to check, especially since I just had to have the battery replaced is the electrical system. That they couldn't come to this conclusion as well terrifies me.

If I don't feel safe enough in my sports coupe to drive it like a performance car, there's no point in owning a sports coupe.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Ask your dealer to check the whole electricaly system of your car and look for loose electrical contactts. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If they come back and tell me they could find nothing, that's exactly what I'll tell them.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Semi, remember that if all else fails, we always have the "throw in the canal and collect Gap insurance" method of saving ourselves. [:D]JK Peace...

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan Ivory Pearl/Graphite Leather Sport/Premium/Aerokit

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
hey Semi, did your dealer ever figure out what the problem was?

-------

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They couldn't find anything.

And it happened again a couple of days ago...

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
That really sucks, man... Your dealers' gotta do something to make this right... like buy your car back and replace it with a new one for a better deal.

-------

·
Registered
172 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

That really sucks, man... Your dealers' gotta do something to make this right... like buy your car back and replace it with a new one for a better deal.

-------
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

All i got to say is FUCK ALL CAR DEALERS!!!!!
They are just bounch of arrogant minded pricks! And when it comes to problem! most of them try to avoid the customers! I think you should sell the car, and get a BenZ i heard BENZ got a really good after service!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Benz? Don't think so. They're having quite a bit of customer dissatisfaction. In fact, the Chrysler (!) arm of Daimler-Chrysler has better IQA numbers than Mercedes in the most recent data.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was on my way to Wal-mart Friday - coupe was in 4th gear when it suddenly stalled! I lost all control as the steering and brakes were locked, everything just shut down. As a result, I hit a low median nearly straight on that was immediately in my path. The car started up once I stopped, applied the clutch and turned the ignition. But as a result of hitting the median, my coupe was knocked out of alignment and badly scratched on the left side front bumper.

Well, I already had an appointment Saturday with service because my CD player quit working Friday as well PRIOR to this incident (CD Error FO message - will not reject or accept CDs) and had them investigate everything. Their diagnostics could find nothing wrong. They were kind enough to do a realignment and will be painting the bumper once I take it in to get the CD player replaced. I am very disturbed this has happened. I had just read on another popular G35 BB last week and over the last 2 months on here, of SEVERAL cases where the Coupe has just stalled while driving along. What if I had been taking my son to school and my car stalled? I travel down a winding road every day to get him to school. I am worried and extremely ticked off that this has happened.

Semi - has it happened again to you??

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Wow guys & gals that is some very disappointing news to hear. It does seem like it is some sort of electrical problem. Sorry to hear that G35woman. Take it in and demand them find the problem and get it fixed. I can see how that would be very dangerous having the car shut off like that...

'03 G35 Sedan.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts