Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I get a Auto or 6MT?

I don't really care much... even if I get Auto, I can have fun with the sports shifting... But my concern is, will Auto be slower than 6MT? if so... by a lot?

Best,

Maynard

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Maynard, There is no difference in speed no matter what some might think. If you're a good driver and you know how to use the manumatic mode (takes a little practice) you can get the same power and speed to your wheels.

Bottom line is get what you're comfortable with. A lot of people will say "you lose the fun factor", I'll tell you from experience, there is no fun factor in having to clutch and shift in stop and go traffic. When I went to test drive my car, they actually had a 6mt blue Coupe that a client had turned down. I could have taken it then and there. I test drove it with the salesman and we ended up stuck in some construction traffic. That helped me make my decision and I went with an automatic Sedan instead.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have to totally agree with Lead. Not because I am biased to my auto car, but the technicality of today's machines make good evidence that speed is not that much in favor of manual vs.. auto as it was years ago. The new automatic transmissions developed by Nissan this 21st century are amazing. The electronic control module in our G35's practically adapts to your driving habits, making it the most innovative, plush, lag-free, and user friendly system I have seen to date. Even in manumatic mode, the shift transitions are seamless, as if done by a CVT tranny. You need to really know the physics behind a torque converter to appreciate how well these automatic machines perform. Semi posted an article regarding torque converters a while back, and how this may contribute to an overall loss of power. However, today's fastest corvette's are automatic, and the usage of these is growing more and more per day, as their performance is consistent and controlled. So basically it all sums up to the fun factor difference, and what you really want the car for, including your driving environment. A guy that commutes through urban city traffic and highways is more likely to get an automatic car, versus someone that lives in a rural area and often frequents the city may opt for a manual, since he can actually reach an appreciation level and make good use of it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your choice!

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If you're a good driver and you know how to use the manumatic mode (takes a little practice) you can get the same power and speed to your wheels.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's totally untrue. The problem is not the shift point. It's the torque converter itself. You lose power across a torque converter, simple as that.

Now, whether or not this results in an appreciable difference depends on the driver and the transmission. I haven't seen many comparisons to allow me to conclude one way or another for the coupe.

·
Registered
254 Posts
my service mgr said that a 6mt will pull about 2/3-3/4 of a car length off the line, then stay even through around 100mph-i drove a six speed right after that, and it felt a hair quicker--i think it revs a little quicker through 1+2 since the ratio is a little lower--but there is also the fact that clutch wear isn't covered by most warranties, so it really comes down to preference unless that 2/3 of a car length is really imp to ya[dunno]

CMEGOBYU
03.5 G35s Pearl,Sprt,Aero

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think road brain can take care of compensating for that. [boink]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

1 - 6 of 6 Posts