Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and can now make a valid review on it.

Before I got the car ppl here and on other boards aways compare it to BMWs so I was curious. I own one so I can make a fair judgement on it.

Compared to our 528i the interior is no where near that of its german competitor. The interior feel of the infiniti and the materials used are quite cheap I can see the titanium trim in the center getting scratched up very shortly. There are numerous rattles in the car, the seat squeaks and is a bit loose (could be my fat ass giving the seat a work out during my cornering fun [:D] ) The positioning of the armrest is just pain stupid, its too low and too far back, and I dont see the point of those cup holders in there either again its too far back.

Branded as a luxury sports coupe is inaccurate, as a sport coupe it does well. I don't know about other Infiniti cars since this is my first but the G35 is not very luxurious. But again as a sports coupe it fits the bill.

The engine: it is very powerful and power delivery is ery linear. However, ppl have been saying that this engine is smooth and won so many awards blah blah blah and this is where I beg to differ in opinion. The engine is not smooth when compared to other 6 cyl engines like in BMWs. Some might say that that is an unfair comparision since inline 6s are always going to be smoother than V6s. But even Hondas V6s are a lot smoother.

In the first 10 days of owning the car, it has gone into the dealership twice (and it still needs to go back) for a leaking passenger side window and a rattling moonroof.

In my good books are the cars looks, power and handling. People complained about the notchiness of the shifter, I personally love it. The short throws and notchiness gives me confident shifts, I KNOW when I am in gear. In this price range the G35C is king of performance, but lacks in the fit and finish area where my old Type R had less rattles and loose interior problems. My only other complaint is that the car could stand to lose a feel pounds. The portly weight of 3420 lbs can be felt, but then again I am coming from a car that weighed only 2540 lbs.

Before people start attacking me for some of the above comments I just want to say that I am a car enthusiast who can be objective and refuse to ignore problems and shortcomings of a car just because I own it. Flame me if you will, but I am just stating my opinion.

With that being said heres a pic of my new baby, isn't she beautiful?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Compared to your 528i?? Of course not...It's a $15-20K+ spread!!
Screw the glossy wood, give me GOOD leather and this car's got that!!

Totally disagree with the rattles, loose seat thing (portly?), mine's as tight as Bonham's Snare kit (may he rest in peace)

White?? Haven't seen too many of those...

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero/Prem
Actually driving it, no longer just dreaming...

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
IP -- Good objective review and comparisons. I've never owned a BMW so I can't compare those two. As for your assessment of it being a better sports car than luxury sports car, I can agree with that somewhat, and some of the problems you described may be specific to your car only (window leaks?) In any case, nicely done and well said.

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good comments/analysis. I have the 6mt sedan, and agree with many of your comments. I too did a lot of comparisons against the 3 series bmw, and bought the G because of price among other smaller reasons like more interior room (really compares to the 5 series).

I actually sent a letter to BMW after I bought my G35, stating my reasons for not buying their new 330i P.P., including my criteria and analysis. They needed some good competition, which can only benefit all consumers. sidenote, noticed in a recent mag (can't remember if R&T) that BMW sales are actually down recently, after rising consistently for a long period of time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If I had an extra $15k I would have taken the BMW as well, but as things stand I was deciding between my black G35 and a 325i. The only thing the BMW salesman could say was "Come on, it's a Beemer." Pretty weak argument in my book, and I couln't be happier with my decision. If life is good to me my next purchase will be a new BMW 6 series.

- Desparetly seeking a nice wood dash kit for my black 6MT.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by 1CRAZMOFO

Compared to your 528i?? Of course not...It's a $15-20K+ spread!!
Screw the glossy wood, give me GOOD leather and this car's got that!!

Totally disagree with the rattles, loose seat thing (portly?), mine's as tight as Bonham's Snare kit (may he rest in peace)

White?? Haven't seen too many of those...

Actually driving it, no longer just dreaming...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

1st of I only made the comparision because thats what others were doing.

Who says all BMWs have wood trim? FYI you can get metalic trim inside. And sorry to tell you this but BMW Montana leather is far superior to the G's. Do not compare it to the 3 series leatherette.

How can you disagree with the loose rattles and stuff? Are you gonna disagree with water pouring in thru the pass window too? Are you gonna disagree that my car is white on black too?

I think maybe you should read what I actually wrote......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jtb

If I had an extra $15k I would have taken the BMW as well, but as things stand I was deciding between my black G35 and a 325i. The only thing the BMW salesman could say was "Come on, it's a Beemer." Pretty weak argument in my book, and I couln't be happier with my decision. If life is good to me my next purchase will be a new BMW 6 series.

- Desparetly seeking a nice wood dash kit for my black 6MT.

In the price range for performance the G is king like I said. But I guess my beef is with it trying to be a luxury car when it is not. As you can probably tell I was not too happy having to go back to the dealer twice in the the first 10 days, but I was not too fond of the moonroof sounding like it was going to fall into the car or the car getting flooded. Of all the years of owning BMWs the only problem I have ever had with them is electrical probs (power seat wont hold memory, the A/C would not hold settings after turning off the car, steering wheel not moving out of the way when seat belt is off, nothing really serious IMO)

·
Registered
818 Posts
You're cool...You DID do a good job...

I was just having a bad morning!! [hypno]

I guess I just got lucky...mine has been rattle and leak free....

Sorry to have offended...[:I]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by donfleck1

Good comments/analysis. I have the 6mt sedan, and agree with many of your comments. I too did a lot of comparisons against the 3 series bmw, and bought the G because of price among other smaller reasons like more interior room (really compares to the 5 series).

I actually sent a letter to BMW after I bought my G35, stating my reasons for not buying their new 330i P.P., including my criteria and analysis. They needed some good competition, which can only benefit all consumers. sidenote, noticed in a recent mag (can't remember if R&T) that BMW sales are actually down recently, after rising consistently for a long period of time.

Some other factors that attribute to sales falling could be the car has been around for nearly 5 years, it lacks power compared to entry level family sedans although standard features makes up for it.

You were looking at the cars probably like the way I was. If the 330Ci had 50 more hp, standard 18s.... etc etc you probabbly wouldn't mind paying the premium of the blue and white propellor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by 1CRAZMOFO

You're cool...You DID do a good job...

I was just having a bad morning!! [hypno]

I guess I just got lucky...mine has been rattle and leak free....

Sorry to have offended...[:I]

No biggie. I just found that a lot of ppl on other boards are always comparing this car to BMWs and since I have both I can make a fair comparison.

Again I am not saying that our cars are bad, its just not a high value luxury car....a bang for the buck sports car is where my vote is.

·
Registered
818 Posts
A more "Apples to Apples" comparison would be between this car and the 3-series. This is were Infiniti targeted this model. The 330 is a nice car, but relies too much on "it's a bimmer" than on new tech...Although the 3-series has a more elegant interior for some as far as the dash goes...The leather is much worse than in the G...Plus when you get done with all the options comparable to what you get with the G CP 6MT, you're up around $42-45K+...Way too much for a car with only 225HP. Now you can go M3 and get the hp, but now your up around $50k-$55K+, better off with the 5-Series at that point...J.M.O.

·
Registered
427 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by IP_G35C_Boy

Branded as a luxury sports coupe is inaccurate, as a sport coupe it does well. I don't know about other Infiniti cars since this is my first but the G35 <u>is not very luxurious</u>. But again as a sports coupe it fits the bill.

What aspects make you feel that this car is not so luxurious. I test drove it and i cant remember how the feel of the arm rest was when driving it stick shift because I wasn't able to drive it for long that day. Everything else seemed nicely done, but then again im comming from an Integra SE, so there is a huge step up. And you were concerend about wieght issues, I actually like the wieght of the car just because it makes me feel safer. I'm sure you understand what I mean when you drive by big riggs and your car gets thrown around from the wind created by them. Just curious about your views.

2003 G35C / 6mt / DG & Willow Leather / Nav / Premium / Aero / ETA 5 Months

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With the issue of luxury I do know where you are coming from, since my previous car was a Type R, compared to the R the G is a Rolls Royce. A lot of the materials inside the G are quite cheap feeling such as the leather and the controls. The buttons for the climate control a dont have that tight feel and are much too small IMO, but that is an ergonomics prob and not quality of the materials. All the rattling and wind noise has been annoying me things I feel should not happen on a $50,000 CAD car.
There is also a lack of features that should be common on a luxury car in this price range such as telescopic wheel and memory for the seats...... but I guess you cant expect all this performance and the luxury of its German counter parts too for the price.

Of course we have to look at it like this, a BMW for $50Gs would not give me the performance of this car and performance is the reason I bought this car. It was not until I saw ppl on this and other forums comparing it to a BMW 5 series saying how its so much better (They were comparing it by the size and room)

The issue of weight I think is invalid for stabilty on highways and such. The aerodynamics of a car and suspension set up plays a huge roll in whether or not a truck passing you will push you side to side. My Type R at 2500 lbs was every bit as stable as this car is on the highway. Also remember that a heavier car carries more momentum in a impact, so heavier is not necessarily safer if at all.

Now since I own both a 5 series and a G I think its would be more fair for me to make a judgement and thats why I wrote this. Some might think I am on crack, but why would I purposely talk down a car I just bought unless I was making a objective opinion. I will restate it once again, it is others that have compared the G to a 5 series and I find that from a luxury point of view the G can't compare to even a 3 series level (I had a 328i before the 5, but can't make a better comparision since I no longer own that car).

The G35C is an outstanding performance coupe, it offers outstanding performance for the dollar, however fit and finish plus the quality of materials is lacking compared to the Germans. Which says alot since BMW does not have the best, I give Audi credit for its interiors and luxury amenities.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

A more "Apples to Apples" comparison would be between this car and the 3-series. This is were Infiniti targeted this model. The 330 is a nice car, but relies too much on "it's a bimmer" than on new tech...Although the 3-series has a more elegant interior for some as far as the dash goes...The leather is much worse than in the G...Plus when you get done with all the options comparable to what you get with the G CP 6MT, you're up around $42-45K+...Way too much for a car with only 225HP. Now you can go M3 and get the hp, but now your up around $50k-$55K+, better off with the 5-Series at that point...J.M.O.

I agree with you that the G should be going up against a 3 series, but on this and other boards people are talking about how its more comfortable, has more room, blah blah blah than a 5 series and since I have both I could easily compare the 2. I will also agree that the G's leather looks nicer when new compared to the 3 series (5 series montana leather is not avail in most 3 series I beleive), however will it stand the tests of time like the BMWs I dont know yet.

I also agree a BMW with this type of performance would cost much much more and thats why I bought this car. However branded as a luxury sports coupe comparable to a BMW is where I disagree with people. Compared to a BMW, a G loses to it in terms of luxury, fit and finish. This again is my opinion comparing the 2 cars that reside in my garage.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
To me, the whole thing about luxury cars is a joke. Cars are meant to be driven or to ride in. A luxury car to me is one that someone drives for me and I sit in the back and surf the net. This whole luxury thing has gotten out of hand. I would like to see a car option as gutted, nothing but the needed parts to make it handle and run. Imagine a G35 coupe with Lexan windows, no carpet or sound insulation. Just a couple of bucket seats and weighing about 1800 pounds.

No that would be sweet to me.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gardiner

Imagine a G35 coupe with Lexan windows, no carpet or sound insulation. Just a couple of bucket seats and weighing about 1800 pounds.

I bet the price would be pretty good too!

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gardiner

To me, the whole thing about luxury cars is a joke. Cars are meant to be driven or to ride in. A luxury car to me is one that someone drives for me and I sit in the back and surf the net. This whole luxury thing has gotten out of hand. I would like to see a car option as gutted, nothing but the needed parts to make it handle and run. Imagine a G35 coupe with Lexan windows, no carpet or sound insulation. Just a couple of bucket seats and weighing about 1800 pounds.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

Now thats what I'm talking about, but a more realistic weight would be 2800-3000 lbs on this car, and that would be sweet. Yes luxury is a joke sometimes but when a car is branded as one you would expect a certain level of amenities and at least decent fit and finish.

·
Registered
869 Posts
go buy a Type R, the first year they came out in 97 A/C was an option, power windows, locks and stereo were an option and it never came with sound deadaning material... I think in Japan the original ones had headlights as an option, since it was a track spec car from the factory.

---------------
AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]
2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think now that Infiniti has the models to compete with the 3-series in the G's, you will see an answer to the 5-series at some point. They thought it would be the M45, but nobody's buying...[xx(]

They're ALREADY working on redesigning that car...

Does anyone outside of Benz and Jag really have an answer for the 5- series, YET?? Acura certainly doesn't, and the first generation Lexus GS's, are better looking than the newer ones!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.