Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1381 - 1388 of 1388 Posts

·
Registered
14,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,383
It's like seatbelt laws.
Seriously! When seat belt laws were introduced there was all kinds of commotion against it. England's ER Dr.s had to take the lead and say, "okay, if you don't want to wear seat belts, that's fine, but make it mandatory for kids." And wouldn't you know it, the survival rate for kids surviving a car crash rose dramatically. That caused parliament to make seat belt laws mandatory.

Gzire said:
I understand why you folks agree with the law in principle, but I think it's horrible. I think it is horrible because it means the Govt can dictate to you other things such as why did you give your child a piece of candy because it's going to mess up their teeth, or what you fed them for dinner. Give a kid one too many pieces of bacon and we should haul you off to prison and put a bullet into you.
It doesn't seem far fetched to me. Can you give children alcohol? No. Cigarettes? No. Can you give them oxycontin? No. Why? Because it's bad for them.

It's like this growing crusade of limiting sodium in foods. Here's a good article about I just read in Time Magazine, Salt Epidemic: Why Americans, Chefs Love Excess Sodium - TIME

I'm not against salt, but I know that too much salt is a bad thing. So I don't mind the regulation and the processing level. Do you read labels when you buy food? I do. I shop for food all the time. I cook all the time and one of the biggest concerns I have when it comes to my kid is diabetes and obesity. Ever read how many milligrams of sodium is in a quarter pounder with cheese combo meal? :eek: It's nuts!

Now obviously your are using hyperbole to a fault, nobody is going to haul your ass off to prison but we have some serious health issues in this country. We have a huge problem with obesity, diabetes, cancer, etc. I have no problem with some government intervention when it comes to our obscene amount of junk food intake. I mean it's a cheap way to afford a quality lifestyle.

So no, I don't have a problem with a law that spares children from second hand smoke.

You know people thought the world would end when the government said that Blacks and Whites can eat at the same lunch counter and ride the same buses. What happened? Nothing, except prettier looking children.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I think we already have too many laws and the government shouldn't dictate where we can and cannot smoke. Pretty soon the only place you'll be able to smoke is in your house. Then, bacon will become illegal. Then, Dairy Queen will only be able to sell small blizzards, all milk will be skim, salt will be rationed out to every person, deep fryers will only be available on the black market, going to the beach will be illegal due to the risk of skin cancer, prohibition will be back in effect, and all steaks must be cooked to well-done.

Ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
35,666 Posts
Replies in red......................................
Seriously! When seat belt laws were introduced there was all kinds of commotion against it. England's ER Dr.s had to take the lead and say, "okay, if you don't want to wear seat belts, that's fine, but make it mandatory for kids." And wouldn't you know it, the survival rate for kids surviving a car crash rose dramatically. That caused parliament to make seat belt laws mandatory.
Keep in mind that driving is a priveledge. The Govt telling you how you should raise your kids is not so far off.

It doesn't seem far fetched to me. Can you give children alcohol? No. Cigarettes? No. Can you give them oxycontin? No. Why? Because it's bad for them. So wait, if a licesnsed doctor prescribes this particular drug, you are telling me that the Fed can say no? Some bureaucrat/politician that has trouble tying their shoelaces can tell a licensed doctor what they can and cannot prescribe? Silly............

It's like this growing crusade of limiting sodium in foods. Here's a good article about I just read in Time Magazine, Salt Epidemic: Why Americans, Chefs Love Excess Sodium - TIME

I'm not against salt, but I know that too much salt is a bad thing. So I don't mind the regulation and the processing level. Do you read labels when you buy food? I do. I shop for food all the time. I cook all the time and one of the biggest concerns I have when it comes to my kid is diabetes and obesity. Ever read how many milligrams of sodium is in a quarter pounder with cheese combo meal? :eek: It's nuts!
Yes too much salt is a problem. No salts are more of a problem than too much.

Now obviously your are using hyperbole to a fault, nobody is going to haul your ass off to prison but we have some serious health issues in this country. We have a huge problem with obesity, diabetes, cancer, etc. I have no problem with some government intervention when it comes to our obscene amount of junk food intake. I mean it's a cheap way to afford a quality lifestyle.
Yes, we got problems. I'm a friggen desk jockey too much myself, but the Govt is treating the symptoms, not the disease.

So no, I don't have a problem with a law that spares children from second hand smoke.

You know people thought the world would end when the government said that Blacks and Whites can eat at the same lunch counter and ride the same buses. What happened? Nothing, except prettier looking children.I think you are looking at this the wrong way Gamma..............Gov't said you cannot have a colored and white person in the same establishment and that you can own someone who is black. Get the Govt out of it and allow freedom of choice. We are already too much of a bunch of friggen sheep and it's getting worse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i think blood diamond is the best movie i've seen this year... it's a great movie... maybe not the best movie ever, but everything else this year has been outta whach

1381 - 1388 of 1388 Posts