Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you guys with one "On Order"...

As tempting as it may be...
As good as it will feel...
It'll beg you to...BUT RESIST!![}:)][angel]

Baby it for the first 1200-1500 miles!!

If you bang her early, you're gonna wish you hadn't!!

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero

·
Registered
70 Posts
you're an idiot for bagging on Kobe. i question your intelligence. stupidity perhaps. plus, if you paid any attention to the past posts, there have been studies showing that babying your car during its break-in period might not be the best way. think before you speak.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Maynard

you're an idiot for bagging on Kobe. i question your intelligence. stupidity perhaps.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nobody's bagging on Kobe!! The point was RESIST TEMPTATION, not Kobe's guilt or innocence!!

Nissan/Infiniti states in the manual, not to beat on the car till after at least 1200 miles? Sounds like something to follow, not debate....BUT YOU WOULDN'T KNOW THAT SINCE YOU DON'T OWN THE CAR!!!!

And you question my intelligence?? I bought a G didn't I?? How stupid was that?? Let us know when you finally get one!![clown]

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero

·
Registered
70 Posts
first of all, i apologize for the misunderstanding

secondly, the break-in secrets states "manuals do say blah blah," but he's tested many diff engines including the NISSAN/INFINITI... so yes unless you've read it yourself and you think you can put up better arguments than the author, be my guest

thirdly, im 19, you're more than twice my age, so me not being able to afford one doesn't really bother me much... more importantly, i will get one very soon so im not crying (on my own, thank you)

and finally, this little argument did stem from my misunderstanding, so i apologize once again

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's cool...No Prob....
[cheers]

The problem is figuring out who to believe...on what issue...Sometimes the factory/dealer are right, sometimes not (oil changes)...

With all of those new parts working together for the first time...NOT JUST THE ENGINE, but the tranny, brakes, suspension...break-in would seem like a good idea...gettin on it right away, is only asking for trouble...

Look at the guys with tranny/shift problems, bet you just about everyone of them was lowering the BOOM of that torque on that tranny right out of the gate...[hammer]

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero/Prem

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yo Mofo,

I've never been able to resist the temptation. As my screen name implies, my foot has only 2 settings, off and floored. I've never had any engine trouble at all and have actually never heard of anyone having problems related to break in abuse. I think its a lot like the "Turn engine off before refueling" suggestion which was originally put in place because of problems with much older cars. Technology has come a long way and the same rules no longer apply. Just my opinion though.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be... I definitely think it's more of an issue (break-in) on manual tranny's than it is on AT's. On AT's, everything is controlled by the ECU, on MT's there's more of an opportunity to abuse the engine/drive train from someone dropping the clutch @ 5-6 rpm's to get those rear tires to scream...

Have not heard of one problem with the AT's in this car...Same can't be said for the MT's...

Usually, it's the other way around...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've always thought of it like this - babying the car will in no way cause any damage, pre-mature wear, or anyother adverse effects. Mashing the petal and beating a brand new car MAY or MAY NOT cause bads thing to happen later on. Which argument is correct - not a clue but to me I'd rather be safe than sorry. Besides you'll have the next 200k+ to do as you please.

Also, as a new owner of such an attention getter, take it easy and enjoy others gawking and admiring. You'll hit 1200 miles before you know it.

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You hit it right on the screws that time...Jarrett [clapper]

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with Jarrettblue- I stayed under 4000 rpm, as the book instructed, for 1200 miles. I babied my shifts too- especially when I could smell my early shifts- especially reverse. For the last few thousand miles (up to 5k now), no smells, plenty of rpm's, constant showing off, and fun. Figured it couldn't hurt to play it safe for a month. And he's right- people do gawk, seemingly every day. Today it was a chick in a Mustang GT with PA plates. Believe me, it wasn't me she was checking out...

Skip Barber Graduate

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> You hit it right on the screws that time<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Don't you meen you hit the screw right on the head?[lol]

·
Registered
42 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by BlueStreak

I agree with Jarrettblue- I stayed under 4000 rpm, as the book instructed, for 1200 miles. I babied my shifts too- especially when I could smell my early shifts- especially reverse. For the last few thousand miles (up to 5k now), no smells, plenty of rpm's, constant showing off, and fun. Figured it couldn't hurt to play it safe for a month. And he's right- people do gawk, seemingly every day. Today it was a chick in a Mustang GT with PA plates. Believe me, it wasn't me she was checking out...

Skip Barber Graduate
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey Blue: I just bought a 2004 6MT and have notice that even though I've been babying it I can smell some clutch odor when I get out of the car. Still under 100 miles. I have driven stick since I was 17 and most recently has an 2001 A4 5MTQ. Although I have experienced the same 1st gear catchiness as everyone else I don't believe I've unduly slipped the clutch. How long did the smell last?

Also, I've done many searches and read about the clutch problems. If anyone can confirm the break in period smells, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks.

2004 G35 Sedan 6MT, NAV (Black/Graphite)

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Yeah, all new G's have the same problem. You have to burn thru the protective coating they put on the clutch plates at the factory to protect them during install.

Here's the fix - if you do this four times successively in under four minutes, I guaranty your burning clutch smell will go away:

1.) run the rpms right up to the break-in limit of 4000 rpm
2.) quickly side-slip or drop the clutch pedal
3.) hold the accelerator pedal to the floor until rpms hit 4000 again

Really. Try it. The added benefit of this fix is that:

1.) if, after following steps 1-3 above, you DON'T brake and allow engine compression to slow your car down, you will also properly seat your piston rings;

2.) if, after following steps 1-3 above, you brake really, REALLY HARD to slow your car down, you will also properly seat your brakes.

Of course, please be forewarned, the smell of burning clutch may be replaced by the smell of burning rubber and/or brakes. Better get used to it!

Congrats on your new G! [:D]

2004 | 6MTs | Diamond Graphite/Graphite
Upstate NY

1 - 13 of 13 Posts