Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey group,

Just replaced my 2013 G37S tires with Conti Extreme's 245/40/19 in front and 265/35/19 in the rear. I wanted the a more aggressive look (i had 20mm spacers in with the stock 225 / 245 setup but became unfortable with that when i discovered some loose bolts).

So, I like the way the rear looks good but the front is lacking. Couple of questions after reading some posts here:

1) I too would like to do some rotation front/back same side to extend life, what are the downsides of going 265 in front?
2) Someone posted that moving away from staggered can impact the variable control system. is that right?
3) The staggered design is there on purpose for handling, did I just screw that up with this setup, is it properly staggered?

Thanks everyone and pass on your wisdom!

Kevbo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Can't help with any tech info on sizes-spacers but someone else will chime in.
I was running 245-45-18 and rears as 255-45-18 and it looked nice including tire height. Never got to the spacers though.

The Conti's are a nice tire choice, I think you'll like them. I was running the Extreme DWS all year in Colorado. If yours are DWS and you need the bite for snow or ice, they do a decent job considering they are not a "winter" but A/S tire.

Still have the DWS on the front and went to Pirelli this time for the heck of it.... Centurado or something.

Anyways, on to the point, I'm now running 'square' so the tires are the same all around and now 245-45-18 front and rear, no issues with the VDC.
VDC is set to work as the car comes staggered and that size variation is approx 2.7% . You can look up tire sizes as o.d. or height measurement and also look up the revs per mile. I like to use rpm and if the two are within 3% or less, most have reported no issues with VDC. It's handy to do/know this because you can change tire sizes to get the look or fit you want but still be assured no VDC glitch if you keep the tires within the 2.7 to 3.0 % range. Going square is 0% so that's why it works.

As to handling and feel, I can tell the car feels a bit different on some nice sweeper curves. The rear tires are not as tall as the old, I'm now square and the rear wheels turn a bit faster b/c of the smaller outside diameter. To me, the car feels it corners a bit better and handling is slightly more nimble.
No complaints. A lot of winter drivers go square for the snow season.

Good luck !

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
A square set up can work well and allow you to rotate the tires.

Are your wheels the same size all around or are the wheels staggered? You can create a square tire setup with staggered wheels but you can't rotate them front to back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pls clarify whether you were able to reuse stock wheels or had to replace them to square up the tires.
I have been seriously considering this and simply do not know if I have to replace the wheels. My current tires are stock with bigger on back.
Thx

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Pls clarify whether you were able to reuse stock wheels or had to replace them to square up the tires.
I have been seriously considering this and simply do not know if I have to replace the wheels. My current tires are stock with bigger on back.
Thx
I think Gilley is referring to most years on of this car having front and rear specific wheels that can't move f/r. There is a clearance issue with the wheel casting if I'm not mistaken.

As per going staggered as yours are now, you can go to the same size all around on the factory rims. That's what I have right now. Other wheels might let you move the wheels with tires around for rotating instead of the need for the tire to be "busted off" the rims and moved for rotation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts