Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to fill out a petittion!

Dear Fellow Car Enthusiast.

I¡¯ve check with some Infiniti sites, and there is a lot! of 2003 G35 owners with this brake trouble.

Get this:

Brake Pads, and Rotors are needing to be replaced completely from 10K miles and 16k miles!!

Dealers charging $500 to $850 for this service
Brakes squeak all the time and get this, after the first month and at every oil change I told them about the brake squeak! They just kept saying, ¡°you have Performance Brakes, they are suppose to do that¡±

I¡¯m like you kiddin me? [rage]

Well, I have 16k miles and Cutter Motors Infiniti in Santa Barbara, said, ¡°Hey you need new brakes¡± Its $300 for the fronts and $200 for the backs, I¡¯m like What?

I thought those were under warranty, he said, ¡°nope, its like wear and tear, kind of like Tires.¡±

Then I said, ¡°How long are they guaranteed for?¡± He said, we don¡¯t guarantee them...
I¡¯m like hmm, basically they are getting me ready for the next brake job at 30k.

I called Infiniti Consumer Affairs and they said the same line, ¡°You have performance brakes, it¡¯s natural. I¡¯m like, I want to file a complaint, they were like are you sure, Im like YES! I wouldn¡¯t doubt it, but I have some weird feeling that Infiniti is feeding the dealers this same crappy line, so I don¡¯t blame Cutter Infiniti, but they should Man up!

I have emailed All the Car Magazine editors to investigate this problem!

Heck! This is a safety issue, some G35 drivers at 12k miles have said when they been informed that they need new brakes and rotors!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
This is why I didn't buy my tires from the dealer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hrm...seems like everyone's saying the same thing. Anyone care to explain the technicalities of this issue?

Feels like there's a logical explanation to this.[boink](or not..)

*EDIT* Nevermind..did a search =T

aim: johnnzen
email: [email protected]
'o4 sedan

·
Registered
328 Posts
If u complain enough and talk to the head serivce manager at your dealership they should change it for free. They changed my rear brake pads for free at 3500 miles cuz they were kept squeeling...now i have 6700 miles on it and its starting to squeeeling just a liiiitle bit but its very un-noticeable.

This is ridiculous. I have already told consumer affairs but i got the same response as you, they just said i have performance pads and that its like that.

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 2700 miles on my G35Coupe and I still get a small squeal when driving in traffic. When I told the dealer about it at 1500 miles, they gave me the same story...performance brakes, it will quit, etc.

I have driven sports cars all my life and I have never had one where the brakes squealed. My previous car was a 1994 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo and I had my first brake pad (front) change at 95,000 miles... and that car would stop on a dime. I agree, there is definitely a brake problem here that Infiniti is ignoring. I'm going to try the dealer one more time and then its time to start climbing the "corporate ladder" to see if anyone at Infiniti really cares about their customers. I suggest everyone do the same.[banghead]

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If it is true that there is a universal brake problem, and I don't know whether there is or not, then why do some people have no problems after 20-30k miles and others do after only 5k? Wouldn't that alone be evidence that it is <u>not</u> a widespread problem? I would agree that the excuse that these are performance brakes, therefore deal with it, is weak at best, but that still doesn't address why some last significantly longer than others. I, for example, have 17,000 miles on my car and I have had it out on a track. My brakes are still fine, with plenty of life left and I don't drive this car any differently than any other "sports" car I've owned. It sounds like if you have a brake problem, and make enough noise to the dealer, most dealers attempt to fix the problem.

·
Registered
869 Posts
sounds like Infiniti decided that skimping on pads might be another money saving plan... I would suggest that if you plan on changing your pads go get some aftermarket ones, like axxis or EBC.

I know that perfromance pads squeel a bit at first as they seat, but after about 1000miles of use, they should be fine.

My dad owns an S-Type Jag, with perfromance package, and I complained to the dealer about the same thing... they changed the pads.

Axxis
EBC

---------------
AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]
2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is just soo many people with the brake pads, brake rotors issues, the seat feeling weird, the squeaky brakes, the lighted clock. I love the G35, but Infiniti MuST give us some help about that, almost every mechanic I spoke to said that less than 30k on brake pads for a 1st year car to go down is a joke. You Moderators can do a great help to the entire Infiniti community....I think that would be a great first step, then someone should email Consumer Reports and other Car Mags. Kind of what happend to the BMW 330i in 2001 when they changed the steering wheel, after so many complaints BMW did a Free Fix for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
15k is way too early for new pads, let alone new rotors. We don't drive exotics, and as such, I think it's fair I shouldn't expect a $800 brake job every 15k miles. So, it could either be a defect in need of a recall, or just bad design by infiniti and brembo.

My friend is going on 36k miles on my 330i and brakes are ok. I'm going 65k on my Integra GSR with brembo rotors and there is still plenty left. 15k brake job does not make sense to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I talked to my dealer, SW Houston Infiniti this morning and I'm bringing my car in Friday morning. The service rep said they had received two recent service bulletins concerning brakes. He mentioned their present plan of action is to remove the pads and soak them in a solution and then reinstall to see if this fixes the problem. I will keep the board posted.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I toke my car in this morning for an oil change to Austin Infiniti.http://www.austininfiniti.com/index.asp
The service manager said that the only problem they had seen here is that an owner drove his G pretty hard and brake pads were needed at about 900 miles. He seemed pretty shocked that people had to replace rotors. The only explaination he gave was pretty much "We (Aust. Infiniti) haven't heard of this problem." "I hope these people aren't the type to ask "What do you mean I weigh 300 pounds? I only eat 4 Hamburgers a day"". Something like that.
I know that the pads are high performance pads (soft compound) and that work really well. The squeeking is pretty annoying at times but when it starts to squeek, I apply more brake and it goes away. I just hate the brake dust. Maybe that shows how soft the pads really are.
I looked at the brembo rotors they offer. The price wasn't bad. Maybe when I need rotors, I will UPGRADE to brembo rotors (cross-drilled) with either EBC or HBS brake pads.
Anyway, that was my 2 cents.

G35 Coupe
6MT DP/W prem, aero, navless

·
Registered
818 Posts
Is this problem consistent with both Brembo's and standard brakes??

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rmeaux

I talked to my dealer, SW Houston Infiniti this morning and I'm bringing my car in Friday morning. The service rep said they had received two recent service bulletins concerning brakes. He mentioned their present plan of action is to remove the pads and soak them in a solution and then reinstall to see if this fixes the problem. I will keep the board posted.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I would prefer they just replace the pads. I don't see how this could fix the problem long-term. You can put perfume on a pig, but at the end of the day, it's still a pig.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dealer tells me my G35 (early auto sedan) needs pad and rotors turned at 22k miles.

The dealer (Coleman in Rockville MD) seems to think it ok to tell me "well this is a sport car". That reply and the problem are simply unacceptable. A damn shame in an otherwise outstanding car.

I do my playing in my way old 911 and don't run the G anywhere near hard enough to deserve this!

I tend to stay with good cars, so I will try to get satisfaction once before moving on to something more reliable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just wanted to let everyone know the dealer turned my rotors and installed new pads on my 2003 Coupe 6mt (2800 miles) because the squeak did not go away. On the service ticket, they also noted they applied a "MOC Liquid" to the brakes. I just got it back this morning, so I don't know if the noise is gone completely yet.... I will let everyone know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FWIW, the new 2004 Subaru STi has Brembo brakes and they tend to squeal a bit, too. I was told that this is common for high performance brakes in general. Typically the squeal for a bit until you brake hard a few times.

Maybe it's just the type of pads used by Brembo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After 6 months or so my G35 brakes began to squeel...but only in reverse as I backed up slowly. At first I thought it might have been a warning chirp that the brakes were worn out...but as I see from the comments...the Infiniti dealers have the same story about the high performance brakes.

This is unusual because I've never had a similar problem with performance brakes on any other car. Performance pads & calipers can be noisier that regular brakes, but in reverse?

Infiniti has got to own up to the problem...it's almost as irritating as the squeeky front seat.

·
Registered
154 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by cc.chuck

My dealer tells me my G35 (early auto sedan) needs pad and rotors turned at 22k miles.

The dealer (Coleman in Rockville MD) seems to think it ok to tell me "well this is a sport car". That reply and the problem are simply unacceptable. A damn shame in an otherwise outstanding car.

I do my playing in my way old 911 and don't run the G anywhere near hard enough to deserve this!

I tend to stay with good cars, so I will try to get satisfaction once before moving on to something more reliable.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Which service team are you a part of over at Jim Coleman? I'm assigned to their Blue team, and they have worked with me just fine thus far, with one exception, the mis-aligned mounting of the right exhaust finisher. I know this is somewhat off topic, but I brought up the concern I had with regards to the fact that my right oem exhaust finisher and left oem exhaust finisher are not symmetric. They told me that many have had this problem and it is due to the fact that the exhaust runs down the left (driver) side of the car and it splits towards the very back of the car. In the end they said that this is how all G's are and that a fix would not be covered under warrenty.

Anyone else think this sounds like a crock of shit?

2004 | G35 | coupe leather | performance | splash | diamond graphite on graphite | 50% huper optik | oem aluminum pedals

1 - 20 of 48 Posts