Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it hurt my engine if i hit redline a couple of times throughout my engines life. It has about 5500 miles. I was racing tonight and was not paying attention to my RPM's and hit redline in third gear.

6MT-silver/graphite
aero, premium minus nav
ohh dont forget the trunk
mat LOL!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hit the redline in 5th gear...thew a rod, shot a hole in the block, leaked oil over the control arms the immediately shut the car off, just as a fire ball was peaking coming out of my engine bay...dont say its too okay to hit that redline..8 thousand dollar cost to replace an engine =)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Redline is what manufacturers set as a safe RPM for the motor, you have the safety net of the fuel cutoff should you not pay attention while driving. This number 6600rpm is conservative, they have probably tested the motor to rev at 7000rpm plus for extended periods of time and found it to be fine, but to keep things safe (safe for warrenty repairs they would have to pay for) they keep it conservative.

My old car had a 8600rpm redline that I visited on a daily basis, the car had 187,000 kms when I sold it. :)

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
The real problem is exceeding the redline. The most common way is dropping it down to a wrong gear and having the driveline over rev the engine. I run up to the redline all the time in my cars, never had a problem.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
869 Posts
Roger: I am not so sure if Nissan motors are quite the same as honda motors. I know you and I drive very similarly, so shifting below readline is a rare occurance for us. The only difference is, the B series motors only have power above 6k.

---------------
AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]
2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
818 Posts
How "deep red" were you when you blew the motor?? Had to be 7500-8000...No way @ 6500!!! That must have REALLY SUCKED!!! 8 G's?? [rage]

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero/Prem

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by G35Driver

I hit the redline in 5th gear...thew a rod, shot a hole in the block, leaked oil over the control arms the immediately shut the car off, just as a fire ball was peaking coming out of my engine bay...dont say its too okay to hit that redline..8 thousand dollar cost to replace an engine =)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What lead up to that? Did you have the proper amount of oil in the crankcase? Where you going straight or in a hard curve? Did you exceed that factory redline? Just curious.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts