Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a couple of top end runs with my dessert platinum friend, and when I downshift from 4th to 3rd and he goes from 5th to 3rd, he catches up to me fairly quickly, while my car is just about to shift into 4th. I had 3 heads in my car and he had 2, but the extra weight the coupe has compensated for my extra passenger. Was I doing something wrong? All runs were done with the VDC on. (I don't think that there's going to be any throttle retardation in mid-highway speeds.) Please enlighten me on how to launch this 4-door beast at highway speeds! Otherwise, tell me what could be the reasons for the above. Thanks!

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Turn off the VDC and kick the people out of the car. Do you ever drive the car by yourself?

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

Do you ever drive the car by yourself?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

heh heh... I think that's why he got the sedan. Needs the comfort of knowing there's people there to witness everything.

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heh Heh... Lead, during my business day commute, I ride alone for obvious purposes. On the weekends it's a different story however, gotta chill with the crew! Any other suggestions? [cheers]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gardiner

On the auto let it do its own thing.

I though the manual shift mode was there for a specific purpose [dunno]

XL

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xzellerate

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gardiner

On the auto let it do its own thing.

I though the manual shift mode was there for a specific purpose [dunno]
XL

I agree with Garnder...let it do its own thing. I have tried using that manual piece of sh*t and when racing it has so much more lag time than regular auto it is worthless...

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next race I'm just going to gun it. [:D]

XL

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
This tranny shifts so fast and smooth I almost never use the manual.

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
94 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xzellerate
I had a couple of top end runs with my dessert platinum friend, and when I downshift from 4th to 3rd and he goes from 5th to 3rd, he catches up to me fairly quickly, while my car is just about to shift into 4th. I had 3 heads in my car and he had 2, but the extra weight the coupe has compensated for my extra passenger. Was I doing something wrong? All runs were done with the VDC on. (I don't think that there's going to be any throttle retardation in mid-highway speeds.) Please enlighten me on how to launch this 4-door beast at highway speeds! Otherwise, tell me what could be the reasons for the above. Thanks!

20 hp deficit, maybe???[boink] seriously though, isnt the coupe supposed to be faster than the sedan? not to mention the differences in gearing.

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by DrRick20 hp deficit, maybe???[boink] seriously though, isnt the coupe supposed to be faster than the sedan? not to mention the differences in gearing.

The 150lb difference should compensate no? [dunno]

XL

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by DrRick

20 hp deficit, maybe???[boink] seriously though, isnt the coupe supposed to be faster than the sedan? not to mention the differences in gearing.
Doc

Well Dr.Rick from what I have read the coupes are dynoing around 225 to the rear. So if you ask me I am not sure there is actually a 20HP difference in the coupe vs sedan but more like maybe a 10hp difference, if that. This whole exhaust thing doesn't sell me on the 20hp difference! Plus like X said our sedans are a little lighter! But who knows...probably will come down to the driver on a race like this.

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by ChazBut who knows...probably will come down to the driver on a race like this.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[cheers]

XL

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
The driver really can make or break the race. I use to drag race a guy who had a 396SS Malibu and I had a 76 Camaro automatic, 160 hp. I would beat everytime in the parking lot where we worked. He would always smoke his tires and my car would just take off. He never could figure it out.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette
2003 S10 Extended cab
1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The driver really can make or break the race. I use to drag race a guy who had a 396SS Malibu and I had a 76 Camaro automatic, 160 hp. I would beat everytime in the parking lot where we worked. He would always smoke his tires and my car would just take off. He never could figure it out.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Raw power and proper tire adhesion to the ground are two coefficients that must be mated perfectly indeed to create a good dragster.

XL

·
Registered
94 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Chaz

Well Dr.Rick from what I have read the coupes are dynoing around 225 to the rear. So if you ask me I am not sure there is actually a 20HP difference in the coupe vs sedan but more like maybe a 10hp difference, if that. This whole exhaust thing doesn't sell me on the 20hp difference! Plus like X said our sedans are a little lighter! But who knows...probably will come down to the driver on a race like this.

i agree with the hp statement. mine only dynoed at 225. but weight makes almost no difference when going from a roll. i would think that the above scenario is more due to gearing. i wouldnt worry about it too much. i would love to see what would happen from a dead dig......

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by DrRick

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Chaz

i agree with the hp statement. mine only dynoed at 225. but weight makes almost no difference when going from a roll. i would think that the above scenario is more due to gearing. i wouldnt worry about it too much. i would love to see what would happen from a dead dig......

Doc

Doc you race much? Weight has a TON to do with it from a roll. I use to have a 98GT stang that I use to race EVERYTHING there in Austin. As you know I use to be in that whole "racing" scene there every weekend and from what I have seen weight makes a huge difference. I raced many Civic Si's on the highway and they kept up with me from a 40+ punch all the time really well even though I had about 40+horses on them. They were super light cars compared to my stang and would turn out great MPH slips in the quarter because of it. Anyway just pointing out from my experiences. 150 lbs is not a HUGE weight advantage but just like carrying a passenger in your car when racing...can make or break ya! [:D]

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Weight always plays a roll in racing, that is why lighter wheels are better for accelerating, they spin up quicker. I heavy flywheel retains energy and is slow to change speeds while a lightweight is more throttle responsive. Given the same engine, a lighter car will accelerate quicker than a heavier car, whether from a standstill or already moving.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette
2003 S10 Extended cab
1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Just an FYI and I know we're talking straight line stuff here, but let's not forget I beat a coupe with my sedan in my first ever autocross event against a driver that had 3 events under his belt. Better driver? Maybe, maybe not. Hope to see some more at future events.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

1 - 20 of 36 Posts