Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who replaced their amp and speakers had a problem with alternator whine? I upgraded to a JL500/5 amp w ith JL components up front and Alpine co-axials in the rear and a JL sub. The installer did not use a LOC because the JL amp said it did not require one. I was thinking of adding A LOC to see if it would reduce the whine, as the amp gains could be set lower. If anyone has any ideas/comments please share them. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Did the installer run the power lines to the amp down the same side of the car as the speaker lines?

·
Registered
10 Posts
mstil35, As Semi On suggested, the power wires should be run down one side of your vehicle, and the speaker/RCA connections down the other.

Ensure that you have grounded your amps to a true metal ground. Remember that some metal on the car may not connect all the way to the frame.

Ensure that none of your connections are bare, and that each is as far away from any of the car's electronics. Shielded cables will always provide extra protection as well.

I too have JL components, and they are sitting right here. What method did you use to get the signal to the amps, and how is it sounding?

Hope this helps!

G35 Coupe (Performance) Midnight Blue

·
Registered
402 Posts
ditto on the running the wires (speaker wires) where there is least amount of other power wires.
From my past experience, the main problem lies in RCA compositie speaker wires. Get a good BRAND, don't settle for cheap ones. And also you can get extra shielding by putting rubber conduit around it.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Hey cupid,
How well did that work for you? It sounds kidna fishy. First of all, rubber doesn't insulate from EM noise at all; you'd be much better off wrapping your cable in aluminum foil. Also, when you say cheap cable, what do you mean? Expensive cable isn't less susceptible to RF interference (as far as I know), it just (supposedly) degrades the signal less. I'm even skeptical of that; I use a big ol' roll of Home Depot cable for my HT speakers and they sound fine. I'm certainly not going to spend $5/foot (or whatever) for "nice" cable.

There have been other discussions on this topic here before.

2003.5 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | 350Z intake | Pictures

·
Registered
402 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by cupid

ditto on the running the wires (speaker wires) where there is least amount of other power wires.
From my past experience, the main problem lies in RCA compositie speaker wires. Get a good BRAND, don't settle for cheap ones. And also you can get extra shielding by putting rubber conduit around it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

sorry wrong information shared.
The main problem with several of my friends who had this problem:
The bottom line was that they were over-powering the speaker with their AMP. When they lowered the gain adjustment on the amp powering the speakers everything was solved.

Initially they did re-route the wire and also changed the RCA wires to better brand such as monster, stinger, etc... but didn't do any good.
They ended up just lowering the gain... since thin OEM speaker wire was stil getting routed to the speaker, that was the main cause of the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts