Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only mods i've done is swapped out the clearance and fog bulb for some Piaa's and put on clear side markers for a total of about $165.

I would like to do some other mods to increase HP and performance, but my hesitation is that the car is a superstar out of the factory, and i'm not sure i can justify spending $1000 for a new bumper or spoiler or body kit or rims or exhaust/muffler system, etc, etc. The reason I say that I cannot justify it is not because I won't get a better appearance or performance, but rather, to me it's a cost that I cannot recoupe on the car's resale - if anything I think mods hurt resale or limit your potential market - they make your car scream I'VE BEEN BEATEN - meaning driven hard on a constant basis.

The one thing I am thinking of doing is buying a set of 17" rims to use a winter riders - more practical than for looks or performance.

Just wanted to get your impressions and throughts...........

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Your car is already a shitty investment. It's already worth less than you paid for it. You'll never get back the money you sunk into in the first place. If you wish to apply that logic, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Your money is yours to enjoy. If modding your car brings you enjoyment, leave it at that. If it doesn't or you have more pressing needs for your money, screw it.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

Your money is yours to enjoy. If modding your car brings you enjoyment, leave it at that. If it doesn't or you have more pressing needs for your money, screw it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

well said!

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

"In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve -- it's what you take."

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry --- didn't mean to offend you Semi.....[angel]

I certainly agree that a car is not an investment at all, but rather a depreciable item that as you indicated brings joy to its owner which is where its value is sought. However, my point is that when you do try to resell you car (assuming you are not extrodinarily wealthy as I am not), be it 2, 3, 5, or 10 years from now, I am sure you will want to get the most you can for it. If you have put say $3500 of mods in the car you probably won't see that come back with any residual.

I was just trying to see what you thoughts were to that end - meaning do you agree that mods on a car make it worth less, more, make no difference and if you feel the ultimate value of expensive mods is really worth it in the end?

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Alot of mods are also hard to replace in the event of a wreck...I think my rules are..No holes in the body, and no plastic/fiberglass parts. Performance parts are diffrent, if they can make the car wear out faster I probably wouldnt do it. Exhaust and intake are fine with me, but I think I'll leave the exhaust the way it is on mine. I don't want my car to be loud, and for the price I don't think it's that great of a gain in hp. If my plans were to keep the car for 3 or 4 years, and I had the money, I would put a supercharger on it and totaly mod out the engine. It's fast enough, and looks GOOD enough for me without any mods at all. I'll stop rambling, those are just my oppinions on mods.
-Savage-

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Modding your car will limit the number of your potential buyers, but that's really not a reason not to do it. If it makes you happy, go for it. Afterall, if you're only going to keep the car a few years, you might as well enjoy it as much as you can.

I built a dedicated home theater in my house and I KNOW that it will hurt my home's resale potential. Not because people won't want it, but because there are fewer potential buyers who would be willing to pay as much as I paid for it... and, certainly the pool of buyers looking for a home with a home theater is smaller. However, that didn't stop me. I wanted one, so I built one. Plus, I plan on staying at this house for quite some time.

Having said all that, I think the stock G35 is great. I don't think the cosmetic mods that are out there really do much to improve the look of the car. Performance mods, on the otherhand, seem to have more value associated with it, but the car is already a beast. Unless you plan on autocrossing or doing some other form of racing, it's really not necessary.

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
My 02 Vette coupe cost me $49,000 when I bought it new. When I traded it in the mod that was on it was a set of Borla Stingers. I received $29,000 in trade on my new Vette that cost $53,500.

But I enjoyed they hell out of the coupe, just as I am enjoying my Z06 now. Cars lose value so quick, you can't hardly win so you might as well mod and enjoy them.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Sorry --- didn't mean to offend you Semi.....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You didn't offend me at all. I merely wish to point out that your logic to not mod can be used just as appropriately to not buy the car in the first place. One would assume you were able to look past this as you own the car. As such, I'm merely offering a perspective that will allow you to do with your property as you see fit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts