Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
instead of getting a GEX p7000 so that my navi plays dvds, can i just install a Play Station 2, since it also reads Dvd and so that i can see it from my navi???

thanxs alot guys, any comments or help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Once again the expertise of Semi the Conductor is summoned...

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I think VQ has done this on past cars. I haven't looked at the actually connections used in the GEX setup, but I'd assume the process would be the same.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
There is no way to directly connect the PS2 to the stock Navi display. The stock navi display has three wires for signal (RGB) and a pink wire (sync wire for synchronization). I think that if it were at all possible you would have to some how tie the sync into each signal R, G, & B separately and then to an RGB connector on the PS2. I have gotten the R and sync connected on a PS2 before however in order to connect the G and B also I think that you would have to get into some circuitry and other complex stuff. If you have the time go in there and play around. I have that stupid virus eating away at my computer so I can't post too much as of now. But I will try to be back when I get the chance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So is the screen input RGB+HV? They do make converters to go from S-video/composite/Component to RGBHV most for high end home/pro video equipment. But usually RGBHV is 5 wires (Red, blue, green, horizontal sync, vertical sync), not 4. Humm..may be something worth looking into though....

The avelectonics.com thing is nice but expensive and some what limitied. I would really like to go for a 5.1 setup and the lack of a DTS/Dolby digital decoder make the price really hard to eat[banghead].

Ernie

2004 Red/Graphite 6MT G35 Coupe (S ord..err..U order now)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Could you send a link of where I could purchase a relatively cheap one. Also do you know if they have one with just 4 wires as well (1 sync). I always assumed that they made one, but have yet to come across any.
Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
rlipps: Did some more reserch. The connection the screen apprears to have is called "RBGS" with the S being for sync obviously.

Spoke to a friend who is a Pro A/V editor. He was very surprised that the screens would use such a hi-end connection. He thinks that whoever makes the LCD screen for Infiniti took one of their existing Pro-AV screens and modified it for the nav systems.

The problem is, since it does use such a high end connection, an adapter isnt going to be cheap. The cheapest I could find is one made by Harmonic Research called VC-101A:
http://www.hrx.com/prodindx.htm (go to "Video Decoders")

Markertek (big in the Pro AV arena) sells them:
http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/product.CFM?BaseItem=VC101A

It is the NTSC to RGBS converter. Accepts either S-video or composite in and outputs RGBS via a 9-pin D-connector (serial plug found on computers). The unit is $260 bucks. Would also need a breakout cable to go from the 9-pin to the 4 output wires. Markertek sells it for about 50 bucks with BNC ends which you could cut off. But I would just call the manufacture and find the specs to make it myself, shouldnt be too hard.

It may seem tempting to just spend a little more money and get the kit from AVelectronics but remember that this thing is really small and easy to hide. When I finally do any upgrading I am going to want it to be as steath as possible. And Harmonic makes really nice stuff. I have VC111A which I needed when I had a Pioneer Elite 620HD Rear-projection TV that had a problem with its S-video inputs. Really well made and really small. I did an informal but exhaustive comparison between the converter and running the cable straight to the TV and saw a very, very slight degradation in the signal. But thats on a 58" TV [:D].

Ernie

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by aesalazar

rlipps: Did some more reserch. The connection the screen apprears to have is called "RBGS" with the S being for sync obviously.

Spoke to a friend who is a Pro A/V editor. He was very surprised that the screens would use such a hi-end connection. He thinks that whoever makes the LCD screen for Infiniti took one of their existing Pro-AV screens and modified it for the nav systems.

The problem is, since it does use such a high end connection, an adapter isnt going to be cheap. The cheapest I could find is one made by Harmonic Research called VC-101A:
http://www.hrx.com/prodindx.htm (go to "Video Decoders")

Markertek (big in the Pro AV arena) sells them:
http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/product.CFM?BaseItem=VC101A

It is the NTSC to RGBS converter. Accepts either S-video or composite in and outputs RGBS via a 9-pin D-connector (serial plug found on computers). The unit is $260 bucks. Would also need a breakout cable to go from the 9-pin to the 4 output wires. Markertek sells it for about 50 bucks with BNC ends which you could cut off. But I would just call the manufacture and find the specs to make it myself, shouldnt be too hard.

It may seem tempting to just spend a little more money and get the kit from AVelectronics but remember that this thing is really small and easy to hide. When I finally do any upgrading I am going to want it to be as steath as possible. And Harmonic makes really nice stuff. I have VC111A which I needed when I had a Pioneer Elite 620HD Rear-projection TV that had a problem with its S-video inputs. Really well made and really small. I did an informal but exhaustive comparison between the converter and running the cable straight to the TV and saw a very, very slight degradation in the signal. But thats on a 58" TV [:D].

Ernie

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

in layman terms?!?!?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The avelectronic is pretty small also. I saw one install under the carpet on the passenger side and another under the seat above the vent.

Russ
Black, Willow, 6MT Coupe, Aero, Nav
Jax, FL

·
Registered
39 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">in layman terms?!?!?!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, I guess the best answer would be if you do not understand my post, you may not want to try what I am suggesting. No offense intended but this would require a fair amont of cutting, splicing, and hunting through the cars electrical system to find the right wires. This isnt really hard as long as you are farily comfortable with basic electronics. If not, may be worth paying someone else.

Actually, I was thinking about this after my last post last night. The setup I am suggesting probably wouldnt work too well. The problem is the converter would require you to cut the RGBS wires going to the nav screen which is its only input. But, you really want to run two inputs into it: 1)The OEM NAV DVD player and 2) whatever your trying to play on the Nav Screen like the PS2. You cant just tie them together espcially since the NAV DVD continuly outputs a video signal. But, I am wondering if the S in RGBS is just a composite signal? In my research I saw alot of companies refer to it as Sync/Composite and maybe THAT is something to look into. It would explain why the AVelectronics unit only requries you to cut one wire. Anyboy have their installion instuctions? I have to do more research [hammer].

vic: Sorry to get all technical on you. I know you just want a simple answer so you can hook it up. I guess the best answer is to get the AVelectronics unit since it would be the simplest. Otherwise you will have to do some real tinkering.

Ernie

·
Registered
39 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rlipps

Actually, it is a Sync/Composite on our Navi system...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Really?! Then this could be even easier then I thought. Rlipps, do you have or know where I can get the eletrical schematics for the Nav system? I downloaded that Audio PDF from Brian Lewis but I dont remember seeing it in there.

Ernie

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I just lost tons of information to one of the viri that have been going around, but I will check some of my CDs and see what is up. I know that I did some "plug and play" with a wire tap to figure out the RGB wires. I know for sure that the pink wire is the sync/composite.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks rlipps. Still trying to find someone who actually has the instructions. Most people seem to let a professional installer do it so it may be tuff to find someone who can give an answer. I keep you guys posted if I find anything.

Ernie

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it seems that the only (simple) way to get the Ps2 on my car would be by buying the avelctronics tv/nav tuner. but today i called them and the guy told me that u need to use an FM modulator, that it wont play straight from ur car. well if im going to spend 525 and then about 300 on install i would like it to hasve a very good quality, and its my experience that FM modulators do not. the guy said that there is a way to make it play trhough our boss system withouth the modulator, but that he didnt know how....was he just tyong to sell his product or is there really a way? does anybody know how i could do it? any help would be greatly apreciated,thanx guyZ[bowdown][bowdown]

·
Registered
869 Posts
simply you need to create a switch, that si all the avelectronics system is.

you need to create an aux input to the system by creatign a junction between the navi screen and the navi box. Only problem then, as you have stated is you still ahev to get the sound to the stereo. This is potentially achieved by doing the very same thing between the navi box and the stereo.

The other problem that exists is the composite sync signal that runs from the navi to the screen. As Rlipps stated the composite is RGB and Sync.

I noticed that since I don't have SAT I could use the button ont he dash to control the switch for the audio and video feed.

Unfortunately I can only talk in theoretical terms, I am a very poor technician/electrician. If someone had the skills and the understanding of AV hardware they could set this system up for the same price, if not less than the avelectronics system, but it would be much more of a custom job.

---------------
AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]
'03.5 6MT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Graphite Leather | Premium | Aero | Heated Seats

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i called avelectronics today, and they assured me that it is possible to have the audio come out of the stock stereo WITHOUT the need of a fm modulator, he said i could get this done in best buy or circuit city...i think i might get it after all, but only after im sure. im guessing..525+250(what he said it owuld cost to install) shoud be all i need since i already have the ps2...but then i need some sort of holder for the ps2 so it doesnt skip aorund....any comment guys?!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.