Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 6 Speed G35 sedan, but for some reason every time I do a quick shift into second gear or 3rd for that matter, the car kinda kick in real hard, then it briefly hesitates, and then it starts going the way you would expect. I have read elsewhere that shifting should be real smooth on this car, but that is definitely not my case. Even when I try to shift smoothly and slowly it still kinda hesitates. Is this normal, or do you think there's something wrong here? Now I have been driving sticks for many years, so I know what I'm doing but this car's gears are kinda strange...

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Give it a week or so. I've had mine for about that long it's taken a bit of time to get smooth launches and into 2nd. It is a little tricky compared to most manuals I've driven but I'm getting the hang of it. I think the clutch is different than most other manuals, as it's hard to tell exactly when it starts engaging. It's like you don't feel the resistance change when it starts to grab, so it's hard to anticipate unless you go real slow. After a while though you'll figure out about where in the stroke it starts engaging and be able to get smooth shifts.

On the other hand, the engine shouldn't be "hesitating" at all. It's most likely your letting the clutch grab before you give enough throttle and it's overloading. Just practice some more. Like I said it took me about a week and 500 miles to get it right.

6MT Sedan-Sliver-Premium-Aero-Winter-Trunk mat with Infiniti logo :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You're running into the traction control.

The car has enough torque to break traction in second and third depending on how you shift. The car has the single most anal traction control system I've ever seen and it reads this as the car going out of control. As a result, it powers down the engine. There should be a little button down below the wheel that will toggle the VDC off for you.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hmmm... I suppose it could be traction control, Semi. But do you think he is about to "burn rubber" even when he shifts slowly? I guess the VDC sensitivity varies from car to car, but I find it very difficult to break my car's ass-end free at all, much less when changing from 2 to 3...

I suspect that you have a problem, Jumper. If you are experienced with a manual as you say, I would consider it a malfunction if you are loosing power during casual shifting.

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT
Silver / Graphite
Premium and Aero Packages

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hmmm... I suppose it could be traction control, Semi. But do you think he is about to "burn rubber" even when he shifts slowly?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, he said it only happens when he tries to do quick shifts. I'm guessing he's dumping the clutch and this is how the VDC responds to that.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
119 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jumper4000

I just got my 6 Speed G35 sedan, but for some reason every time I do a quick shift into second gear or 3rd for that matter, the car kinda kick in real hard, then it briefly hesitates, and then it starts going the way you would expect. I have read elsewhere that shifting should be real smooth on this car, but that is definitely not my case. Even when I try to shift smoothly and slowly it still kinda hesitates. Is this normal, or do you think there's something wrong here? Now I have been driving sticks for many years, so I know what I'm doing but this car's gears are kinda strange...

Thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I feel your pain! Wait until you have broken it in before really pushing it. No reason to spoil your break-in while you get the bugs worked out. As you can tell, there are a few things at play here. The first is the the new clutch and a six speed MT. I was at 2500 miles before mine settled down. The second is the VDC which as you can tell from the other replies, is a bit tricky to get used too. In a prior thread, even some of the most experienced G35 drivers have had some trouble getting the most out of this combination. I recall reading that even most masterful Semi-On did not get it worked out until he spent a few hours in parking lot, which I also did after reading his post. The other minor, but important factors are seat controls under your right leg, and the huge distraction factor of everyone checking out your new ride. In the mean time, you might start looking for a large flat, recently paved, lot that is really quiet on Sunday AM. Then you can try moving the seat around, changing shoes, getting the cups out of the drink holder, etc. Then you can really shift while paying attention to your timing. It's well worth a few hours after you get a few miles on it. Congratulations on the new wheels and Enjoy...this car rocks!

G35/S/6MT DP over Graphite, Premium.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 1-2 shift definitely takes some getting used to, but after a week you should be smooth as silk when you're not drag racing.

The car will easily get 2nd gear rubber, and if the VDC is on, it'll go to violent lengths to prevent you from doing so.

Is there a dedicated fuse for the VDC ? I'm seriously considering permanently disabling it. The only thing it could possibly be useful for is driving across a frozen lake. On dry pavement, it's such a nanny it's totally worthless.

With my sunbelt address, I seriously doubt I'll be taking on a frozen lake any time soon...

-- Brent
"4DR Z"
Black 6MT Sedan
Austin, TX

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Is there a dedicated fuse for the VDC ? I'm seriously considering permanently disabling it. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, but it takes the antilock brakes and something else with it. If you're a good driver, it may still be worth considering.

I've seen one thread on FreshAlloy I think in which someone had developed a relatively easy mod using a timed relay to switch the VDC off every time you turn the car on. You can then use the button to turn it back on should you find yourself in a position to need it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts