Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Just got my G35 and had a question about the benefits of paint sealant. My dealer offers this paint sealnt thing for about $250.00 and it's suppose to protect the paint from I guess fading. Did anyone opt for the paint sealant, and is it even necessary? She said something about not needing to wax the car if you got the paint sealant. Anyways what do y'all think and does waxing your car regularly do enough to protect the paint from fading,etc.

Laser Red Coupe/5AT/Graphite/Premium/Sport/Aero

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
No idea if it works, but the paint on these cars is VERY brittle and easily chips.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got the sealant for $500, so you are getting a good deal. I was more interested in the interior protection (leather, carpets, etc). They promised that the exterior sealant made the paint shine more - Who Knows?. The prospect of not waxing as often intrigued me. Water is beading up pretty well and the washes happen alot faster.

6MT Coupe - Diamond Graphite - everything but nav

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Bigpun,

Is the paint sealant a one time thing? Is it suppose to protect against chips etc, or just help prevent color fading? What kindof interior protection did they offer you? thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bigpun,

had another question for you. Austin Infiniti didn't offer me much of an extended warranty package. I think the paint sealant thing is a one time deal here. Where in Houston did you get your car, and I would think they would be willing to sell me an after market warranty. thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey all - been lurking for a while [smoking] so I figured I'd post one here.

My dealer was really cool about this kind of stuff. The only mention he made about paint sealant (and rust-proofing) was to tell me that they don't offer it because it's a sham. I figure if the dealer is giving up the potential for extra money then it must be true. The one thing the salesman did mention was the one of his clients decided to get a "clear bra". Don't know what it's really called but it is basically a clear plastic coat that covers the area a nose cover (bra) would. I've seen people mention it in the forum but don't remember where.

G35 coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite/Graphite

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have specific information about this "paint sealant," but it sure sounds like the same type of sham dealers have been peddling for decades. Most owners manuals nowadays in fact advise you NOT to add any sealants or rustproofing, since such applications often do more harm than good. To protect your paint from the sun and the elements, there's no substitute for good wax applications. Although, I've lately heard good things about some long-lasting, teflon-laced professionally-applied wax products.

As for the clear bra, this is in fact an honest and beneficial product, but choosing the right one--and installing it--isn't so easy. The material protects against rock chips and various other debris when driving, but doesn't make any claims about fade protection--not that I think fading is a problem with automotive paints nowadays.

The "bra" is a thin and almost-invisible plastic film. The film is manufactured by 3M in several different thicknesses (e.g. 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 15mm), and they ship out rolls of the stuff to companies like XPel, StonGard, and Invinca-Shield which cut templates out for various models. Some cuts are better than others (e.g. XPel), and some companies offer thicker films than others (e.g. StonGard), which makes them arguably more protective but harder to install as well.

I self-applied XPel to my BMW 530i. Some pieces--e.g. the headlights, and small bumper strips--are easy to apply. Some--e.g. the hood--are difficult, since air bubbles and wrinkles develop fairly easily. There are pros who install these kits in most cities, and prices can run close to $1000+ for a fully-installed frontal kit (headlights, hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, A-pillars), or about $500-$600 for the parts if you want to try it yourself. Let me know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to say thanks to everyones input so far. I pretty much felt that that the sealant didn't give you much of an added benefit. I guess what kindof gets me and I'm sure a lot of people is the fact that the paint chips so easily. I mean you pay 35-40K for your car and you hear various people talk about how brittle the paint is. I've read the post about paint chips, clear bra's etc, and am still kinda on the fence about getting it done or not. Part of me thinks the old fashioned touch up paint is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I just read a thread on Fresh Alloy in which one of the dealers that posts there described these treatments as snake oil used by less honest dealerships to hike up the cost. He actually recommended not doing business with anyone that offered it.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey kids--you can get the stongard clear cra for $450 sedan, $500 coupe--this is for bumber and hood and grill--headlight kits are $59 for either. stongard includes a warranty against paint damage for up to $2k if the kit is installed professionally. My buddy at the Jag body shop told me$125 for the install, so even if u don't know anyone, my guess is over 200 is a ripoff[pimp][pimp]

CMEGOBYU
G35s Pearl,Sport,Aero

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well I'm finally getting my car tomorrow! Whoo hoo! They want to know if I want the paint shield ($279.00) and the interior protection($195.00). Those of you who have had it done.......is it worth it? Any advice on this would be great!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Does anyone have some pics of the clear bra installed?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It's actually very difficult to get a good photograph of this without really good professional-quality backlighting. I had a clear bra put on my wife's sedan and it actually looks better UNDER the bra than the places not covered. It's an awesome product and I wholeheartedly recommend it - just be absolutely sure to get a good installer. The guy who did my wife's car mangled the bumper and I'm going to have to find someone else to do it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Aanyone in the DFW area had the clear bra installed and if so where? I would really like to see one before I spend that kind of money.

PS - The paint sealant is nothing more than an overpriced coat of wax that they should be doing for free as a courtesy of buying a 40K car.

|04 G35c|5at|diamond graphite|willow|premium pkg|sport pkg|perf wheel & tire pkg|aero 1|nav|xm|

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Maybe the Dallas/Fort Worth folks can try and find some place to work a group discount!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by DallasG35

Aanyone in the DFW area had the clear bra installed and if so where? I would really like to see one before I spend that kind of money.

PS - The paint sealant is nothing more than an overpriced coat of wax that they should be doing for free as a courtesy of buying a 40K car.

|04 G35c|5at|diamond graphite|willow|premium pkg|sport pkg|perf wheel & tire pkg|aero 1|nav|xm|
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.