Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend, some fool (in an SUV I'm sure) hit 'n' ran me in a parking lot while I was shopping. For FOOD. To LIVE. I've worked through my initial BLISTERING RAGE[rage][finger][V][rage][censored][boxing][rage][banghead][hammer][finger][banghead][rage][rage][V] and have settled down to the practical: getting it fixed.

It's just a paint scrape on the bumper; no body damage or anything. So what do I do? Should I immediately take it to the dealer and get it fixed, should I claim it on my comprehensive ($250 deductible), or should I wait for the inevitable other scratches and get it all touched up after about a year of ownership?

I can see metal in some places, so I don't want to risk rusting; also I don't like having a big scrape on my brand new car. On the other hand, this stuff happens, and I don't want start a habit of running to the dealer every month to get a touchup.

Any thoughts?

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures

·
Registered
818 Posts
O that SUCKS!!!! From experience when my Acura CL-S got smacked by a shopping cart....Get it fixed now and put it behind you, the longer you wait, the longer it will torture you!!!

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, it is like a blemish on my heart itself to see the scratch there, but I'd hate to get it fixed now only to get hit by a rock on the highway next week. So if it's not going to hurt the car to leave it (rust, dirt, whatever), then maybe (MAYBE) I should?

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures

·
Registered
818 Posts
Stru...I know for me, the [censored] thing drove me nuts everyday until I took it to Dentbusters to get it fixed...They fixed it to the point of perfection and my misery was OVER!!! You're better off dealing with what IS today, than what MAY BE tommorrow...

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Point well taken, mofo. So you would suggest taking it to some regular shop instead of the dealer?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Stru...If the car needs paint, the dealer is only gonna call the body shop they use, to come over and look at it...Suggest you find out what body shop/shops the dealer is using and call them yourself if you don't want to involve the dealer. I'm gathering that it is a minor repair...the money isn't worth the mental BS, pain and anguish you go through, having to look at it all the time...JMO

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone,
I don't mind going through the dealer, I just wanted to see if that was my best choice.
Someone suggested I get a bottle of touchup paint from the dealer--he said I'd probably pay $10 for a small nail-polish-sized-bottle and I could mark it out myself, rather than paying $250 to have the car prepped and sprayed. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by struan87

Thanks everyone
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Don't you mean, "Thanks, Mofo?" [:D]

<font size="1">2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance</font id="size1">

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
lol I know how you feel.. Look at my bumper!

OK think about it...
Your driving 60 mph .. 20 feet behind a 18 wheeler truck..
There are big orange construction site cones (the ones the size of garbage pail's)
The gust of wind from the trunk knocks one in front of your car!!!!
Yeah that's what happened, IT SUCKS! But what you can do, Get it fixed, don't go threw the insurance, it will cost about the same to get it fixed from a good body shop! Good luck! post pictures!
Ps. My bumper is getting fixed Tuesday :)

<font face="Verdana"><center>2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sedan : Brilliant Silver : Black Leather : Premium Package : Auto
View my car at http://dbizz.cjb.net/g35/</center></font id="Verdana">

·
Registered
818 Posts
Don't you feel better now...Stru??[jump2]

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to the dealer, expecting them to say "yeah, that's $300 for a respray" but NO! They recommended a $3.50 bottle of touch-up paint and told me how to use it (wash, polish, apply several thin coats of paint). They say I'll always know it's there, but no one else will.

I'll post before/after pics when I fix it (hopefully this weekend).

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by struan87

I'll post before/after pics when I fix it (hopefully this weekend).
Sweet! I have a tiny scratch on my bumber I'd like to use some touch up paint on. Let me know if it turns out OK Stru.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

Sweet! I have a tiny scratch on my bumber I'd like to use some touch up paint on.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hey Lead, be careful putting paint on your bumber. [:D]

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by donpalombella
[brHey Lead, be careful putting paint on your bumber. [:D]
Why I oughtta! [boxing]

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks everyone,
I don't mind going through the dealer, I just wanted to see if that was my best choice.
Someone suggested I get a bottle of touchup paint from the dealer--he said I'd probably pay $10 for a small nail-polish-sized-bottle and I could mark it out myself, rather than paying $250 to have the car prepped and sprayed. Any thoughts?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts