Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to see complaints popping up across the net of paint chipping issues developing in those that have had their coupe for a few months. I'm curious if we can find any pattern to this.

If you are experiencing this problem, please post where you live, what your climate is like, what kind of punishment your car receives and the color of the paint.

My Diamond Graphite doesn't hold up to little rocks and the like on highways at all, far worse even than my Geo Prizm it replaced. There's also some chipping on the door well down by the chrome Infiniti kick plate.

This, of course, in Phoenix's notoriously perfect winter.

Between this and the bizarre electrical problems I'm having, I wish I had just leases a Z4 and I sure as hell will never buy another Infiniti.

·
Registered
172 Posts
wow semi, youre so fed up that youll never buy another?

im speechless

Patiently -- or not so patiently waiting to trade in my 1996 I30 for a wonderful G35 SC!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The full extent of their maintenance efforts have to date been to drive it around for a week or so, tell me they can't reproduce it and to send me on my way.

I'm sure glad I'm paying an extra $80 a month for an extended warranty...

Cock suckers.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Only had mine for a couple of weeks and have found only 1 slight bit of chipped paint (on the back bumper no less). I also have Diamond Graphite and have been doing a lot of highway driving (in Southern California). I've had a lot of things kicked up (bugs, dirt) and stuck to the front bumper, but so far I've been able to clean them off with no paint chipping. I even drove it pretty hard through some mountain roads with a lot of gravel in the rain.

I also will be bringing my car in to get an extra coat of protective sealant which *should* help some, but I'm happy to report that so far, mine hasn't been any worse than any other car I've had. Of course, it's still early. [shake]

-Ken

-------
2003 G35C
5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
96 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I also will be bringing my car in to get an extra coat of protective sealant which *should* help some<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ken-

Do you mean to say that you are taking your car in to your Infiniti dealer to have them apply a paint sealant? Is this under warranty? In response to a concern? Did they offer to provide the service? [?]

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
G-man,

Actually, it was part of my "deal." As usual, they offered me a whole bunch of stuff in finance that I really didn't want (Extended Warranty, Lifetime Oil Changes, etc.), but I was able to negotiate LoJack and the Paint Sealant with a 5-year warranty on exterior paint and leather for an additional $1000. Not a bad deal considering the LoJack was somewhere in the neighborhood of $650 to $700, and it was someething I definitely wanted already for this car. I mainly got the paint sealant so I wouldn't have to worry about waxing the car as often -- and I certainly wanted to keep the "shine" as much as possible. I figured it was well worth $300.

The only reason I didn't get the sealant done right away was my car was delivered with a small scratch on one of the wheels and tires, and they needed to order a new wheel for me which would take a few weeks since they are of the 18" variety. I decided to wait until the wheel came in to get all the work done so I wouldn't have to go back to the dealership and leave my car more often than necessary. Of course, they'd give me a loaner -- but it would be a sedan -- and I remember how much it sucked waiting for my coupe!

-Ken

-------
2003 G35C
5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
74 Posts
Caribean Blue in Northern California. The weather has been very moderate, with a little rain over the past coupld of months.

I have had the car since January. I have 4 obvious chips on the front hood that I believe were caused by rocks, etc (No, I don't make it a habit to follow gravel trucks ;). I also had a small chip caused when I had the G35 badge pulled off the read. My impression is that the paint if very brittle, and chips/flakes easily.

I really love the color of the CB on the G. However, I am not so enthused about having a boatload of chips all over my hood. I have never had a car where the paint chipped so badly. Is this where Inifinit cuts costs, by making sacrifices to the quality of the paint process applied to the car?

peace

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have blue 4700 miles. south western virginia mild climate. chips on the rear fender bulges and on the front bumper. no hood chips.

G35 6mt
blue/graphite
everything but nav. - cause men don't need directions from anything

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have blue 4700 miles. south western virginia mild climate. chips on the rear fender bulges and on the front bumper. no hood chips.

G35 6mt
blue/graphite
everything but nav. - cause men don't need directions from anything

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re paint chips, I've had a car for just over five years with tons of miles I put on (178K and counting until the coupe comes in). From now on, I'm going the "invisible plastic" route. There are a couple of actual manufacturers (Avery Dennison and 3M), but I'm going to stick with 3M (no pun intended). I've done some research and for several hundred dollars, they do thehe bumpers, mirrors, front part of the hood, etc. It's dough but no matter how hard you try it's impossible to steer clear of all the rocks, gravel, sand, etc. This is the same stuff used on NASCAR and there are several different dealers. It goes on very similar to window tint, and we all know the professional job vs. most do it yourself jobs --that's why I'm gonna trust it to the pros. You can look it up on the internet (google is pretty good for that) under some phrases like clear plastic paint protection or some such thing.

BOND[boink]

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What you're describing is commonly refered to as "clear bra" on these sites and I think we've had a few discussions about it. That said, it shouldn't be as mandatory as it seems to be for these cars.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am very picky about paint chips, since I have had bad experiences with 300zs and M3s. After 5 weeks - no paint chips in the hood, which is surprising. I did opt for the paint sealant, but that shouldn't matter. Houston is notorious for chips as there is construction everywhere 24/7.

I did notice a chip in the front rim however after about a week. The rim (6MT-coupe) looks like something removed the paint - basically, it chipped like it was chrome. The dealer had no explanation and will fix it for me. Anyone else notice this issue with theirs?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hey bigpun,

Welcome to the board. I'm in Houston too so I know what you're talking about. I was on 45 the other day when I saw a piece of scrap metal flying towards my car. It hit my car right in the opening on my front bumper (the aero bumber) and left a quarter size mark above the opening as well as a gash on the inside black part. Totally sucks! If you could only catch these idiots dropping debris everywhere and charge them for damages.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a few on my Obsidian coupe. Tell you the truth I don't fret over it. Its a 35k car. If it was a Ferrari I'd be a little upset. Blame the environmentalists for dumbing down the paint components over the last 10 years.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Lead_foot, I made an attempt to send you some type of email greeting thing from your pics page of your car. I noticed you purchased your ride from North Houston Infiniti, I was wondering if you could suggest someone to talk to there and how much you got your sedan for, I am pretty much going to get the same options (no nav) and a different color. All the help would be great. This will be y first purchase<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

Hey bigpun,

Welcome to the board. I'm in Houston too so I know what you're talking about. I was on 45 the other day when I saw a piece of scrap metal flying towards my car. It hit my car right in the opening on my front bumper (the aero bumber) and left a quarter size mark above the opening as well as a gash on the inside black part. Totally sucks! If you could only catch these idiots dropping debris everywhere and charge them for damages.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey mcanlas,

if you make it to the south side - Ricky Tejada at Southwest Infiniti is the man! Probably the best new car dealer I have ever dealt with and I have dealt with many! He really tries hard to make everything right. Tell him Kevin P sent you.

later

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a Black 6mt 10 days ago. I am already seeing paint chipping in the front hood. What have people done about this? Is this a defect? Is everyone getting a clear bra installed? My 4 year old VW had better quality paint. I love the car but I really expected better from the paint then this. I only have 600 miles on the car. I can't image how it will be after a year. Just another question. If I wanted to pain my hood in two years how much would a professional job cost?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I do my best to avoid any situations that could result in paint chipping. I stay really far away from those stupid trucks that carry rocks. I also try to avoid any roads with loose gravel, and if I have to use them I drive really slow. I have about 5000 miles on mine and the paint on the front bumper, and hood is still in perfect condition. Maybe I'm just lucky.

| G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had my coupe 3 weeks. I applied 2 coats of Zaino Polish and my paint is still perfect. Car is also 10X's easier to clean. I do a lot of highway driving. I highly reccomend Zaino to protect the paint not to mention you will have the slickest looking shine in town. Some guys are going up to 8 coats of this stuff. Supposedly it protects 6 times better than wax especially when used with the ZFX additive. If I knew how to post pics I 'd make you all drool over my DG coupe.

2004 G35C DG/Graph, Prem.Pckg/Performance 18"s/Stillen CAI/
Clear Corners/15% tints/Z-Tube on order.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts