Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I gathered from this board, a lot of us are curious about INTAKE upgrades / modifications. I think we all would appreciate some intel [grad] on which ones (if any) are worth doing.

There are a number of products to choose from which makes the decision process interesting. From what I've been able to gather I have listed below the products I know of and my (for what it's worth) opinion on each. I'm sure we all would like to hear from those of you that have had time to actually use these products.

INJEN - Fine if you aren't in an area where water may enter the intake (below the bumper). Filter changing appears to be problematic.

STILLEN COLD AIR INTAKE - Looks similar to INJEN, but I'm not sure where the *intake* is? Is filter replacement an issue?

STILLEN HI-FLOW COLD AIR BOX - Looks like a replacement air collector of the stock box with a easy to replace filter.

BLITZ SUS AIR INTAKE - Appears to be a shortened version of both the INJEN and STILLEN CAI's, with a stainless filter element.

K&N AIR FILTER - Simple enough, but two questions. 1) Does the oil really eventually cause issues further down the intake? 2) Aside from maybe a slight change in how the car sounds, is it better than the stock filter?

BLITZ AIR FILTER - Same as above, but doesn't use oil.

So, that's all the different intake products I am aware of. Perhaps there are others, but the thing I (and I think other members) would like to know is first hand reviews on these or others.

Thanks and BE SAFE!

[thmsup]

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Okay, first you need to post this in the Modifications Forum.

You pretty much nailed all of it on the head Tampa. If you would like to see what other intakes they have you can check out the Mods List for the G35 Coupe

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by G35inTampa

STILLEN COLD AIR INTAKE - Looks similar to INJEN, but I'm not sure where the *intake* is? Is filter replacement an issue?

K&N AIR FILTER - Simple enough, but two questions. 1) Does the oil really eventually cause issues further down the intake? 2) Aside from maybe a slight change in how the car sounds, is it better than the stock filter?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I am pretty sure that Stillen uses K&N filters with their intake kits.

K&N answers: 1) Only if you are careless and Oil it too much and don't allow the excess to dry off before installing it. 2)Somebody has actually lost 4 HP on the dyno to a K&N replacement filter, but most people say they see about a 3HP gain on the dyno (I think it is all BS and that you wont see any real gains until the adaptive ECU issue is solved--this situation is going to require another post)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So no one has any of these products installed then?

Looking for feeback / reviews....[dunno]

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would stay with stillen, for one reason. The intake on this car uses two different runners for it, a short and a long path at a different range of rpms. The other companies just went to a straight tube desighn which is the standard type. Now how they were able to do this without causing any problems, im not sure, but if you want to just play it safe I would definatly go with Stillens other wise the next comapny i would probably get would be Injen just because I feel they make good quality products.

2003 G35C / 6mt / LR & Willow Leather / Nav / Premium / Aero / ETA 5 Months, Maybe 1.5 weeks?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Stillen makes three different intakes: CAI, Short Ram, and Cold Air Box. It would probably be best if you specify which one you are talking about. Also, you are correct about the different sized runners, however, I dont see your reasoning. Could you elaborate more?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I cant even really explain it but ill try to do my best, i know my last post was pretty bad. Im thinkin, ok the car is ment to have two different intake runners that it uses (stock intake system). When they just use a single pipe (aftermarket Injen intake) what happens to the second runner. Because these cars rely so much on computers I would just think that it would try to open a valve that isn't there, does this help any [dunno]. This might not even cause a problem or who maybe it could, who really knows, u know what I mean. Thats why I said if you want to play it safe I would go with stillen since one of there intakes, not sure which one, uses the two intake runners. Im not even sure my self if i understand completely what i am saying. I hope this helps a little.

2003 G35C / 6mt / LR & Willow Leather / Nav / Premium / Aero / ETA 5 Months, Maybe 1.5 weeks?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You are thinking of the intake manifold (plenum). The air intake (Injen, Stillen, K&N) doesn't have separate runners that I am aware of. The intake manifold however does have separate runners, one long and one short in order to gain that extra HP up top while still getting all of the torque that the VQ does.

Haha, you know what they say: Knowledge is dangerous, but just a little knowledge can be deadly.[:D]

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've never heard of a car with dual intake paths, dual runners sure, but intake probably isn't worth it.

In my experience (and this usually relates to Hondas, but overall applicable) the plastic tubing of the stock system creates less reverberations in the intake path, causing less flow disturbance. However, this may be good the stock systems usually employ sound dampening techniques with little pocket offshoots to the tube which adds to uncontrolled air turbulance. The best and most powerful system for my Civic was a bit of a jimmy rig to say the least. The stock tube from the throttle body to the filter, but replacing the filter box with a cone. (similar to the JWT POP filter)

For nissan/infiniti products often times the problems with aftermarket intakes are closely related to the MAF* that Nissan uses. Many people who install intakes (especially weekend wrenchers) are not aware of the delecacy of this component, causing the car to run sluggish and appear to loose power.

* MAF - Mass Airflow Meter: measures the flow of air into the engine and sends the signal to the ECU where fuel maps and spark timing is adjusted for optimal driving (often conservative to accomodate different driving styles, environments and fuel economy).

---------------
AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]
2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
74 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by G35inTampa

INJEN - Fine if you aren't in an area where water may enter the intake (below the bumper). Filter changing appears to be problematic.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I originally installed the K&N filter. I didn't notice any improvememnt. The only benefit I could see, is the long lifetime of the filter.

I turned around and installed the Injen CAI. The fit and finish of the product is excellent. And the sound is incredible!! Doesn't sound "ricey".....sounds much more exotic.

You have hit the nail on the head about the downsides, though. As far is water is concerned, I am having a small black piece of plastic fabricated at TAP to cover the lower right side vent during the winter months. Although this is going to lmit the airflow to the intake during the time I have it on, there will still be a supply of air from the back side. Not an ideal solution....but it beats removing/reinstalling whenever the rain comes.

peace

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Gumbee, although you have an ingenuitive idea, you may actually be harming your engine. By blocking off part of the air filter, you will possibly be causing a turbulent air situation in your intake, which isn't good at all. Think about it, air will now enter the intake at a bunch of different angles and speeds because it will have to move around that wall you are fabricating. They actually sell parts that you can add to your intake that will keep water from getting into your CAI to some extent. If you go to G35driver.com and do a search you should be able to find something on it. I don't believe it has been covered here yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rlipps

...you will possibly be causing a turbulent air situation in your intake, which isn't good at all.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah, this is definately a fear of mine. But, I think less of a threat than too much water possibly getting into the intake. Fortunately there is still about 4 months before the rain starts coming down...so there is still time to find the best solution (couldn't find any alternatives on g35driver.com).

Since we're talking about intake mods, anyone have input on the performance plenum offered by http://www.crawfordzcar.com ?

peace

·
Registered
869 Posts
gumbee, that is a sweet mod, seems worth the $500 to get it right!

---------------

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The Crawford Plenum is amazing. It is putting down an extra 20HP to the wheels on many of the cars tested. All it really does is fix "Design Flaws" in the stock plenum. Basically they just flow bench tested the stock plenum and realized that the back to cylinders weren't getting enough air and fixed it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I hope you weren't telling me... I read the website, that is what what it said...

Makes sense though... sometimes it is better to fix what is wrong, rather than try and make it faster elsewhere. I can see that modification being fully realized on the Procharger setup, where ther eis a greater flow of air.

---------------

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I was just answering gumbee's question and telling what my opinion on the product was. I have had no experience with it in person, but from looking at dyno charts, I know it is the real deal.

LSD Unique is making an intake manifold that would be better for the Procharger setup just becuase it can flow a lot more air.

·
Registered
869 Posts
rlipps: good [^], I thought you knew me better than that by now... I love to dig.

---------------

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Gumbee, why don't you just keep the stock intake, and put that on durring the wet season?

| G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |

1 - 20 of 30 Posts