Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was ready to place my order for the G35 coupe, but with the worst avreage gas mileage in its class, it still not the fastest either. this is despite the large HP difference b/n it and the eg BMW and Acura CL-S. It is not too much heavier than the Acura or the BMW so what gives? I saw a dyno on another site with 226RWHP, hmm using the industry 13% drivetrain losses (which is what I have used with pretty good acuracy in my 7 years around dynos for 5/6 speed cars), the result is a 260BHP?????????? I thought they were rated 20 more hmmmm

If anyone has actual quarter mile trap speeds please post, I know the car was not built for the 1320, but at least it should beat its competitors by a lagre enough margin since they were also not built for the quarter mile. Oh it did not beat the BMW on any comparo in the twisties tnat I have read and barely made it past the Acura as well.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Kponti,

First off I agree with you in the drivetrain loss part. If it was dynoed at 226RWHP...that is a bit low as typical drivetrain loss is 12-15% depending on the car.

Second, as far as performance they are just about similar in most things with all three cars trading off a bit. Here's a few performance specs I got:

Skidpad: BMW .85g Acura .86G Coupe .90G --> Coupe wins.
Braking 70-0: BMW 167ft. Acura 178ft. Coupe 157ft. -> Coupe wins.
Quarter: I think they are all within a tenth or so from each other.
I have seen anywhere from 14.4-14.6 posted for the coupe.

Anyway bottom line I think the coupe is just a little superior to both these cars especially if you get it at MSRP. Also takes the cake for luxury over the Acura for sure and even if not better than the BMW. I don't own a coupe BUT I DO own a sedan and I can tell you the sports sedan class the G35 TAKES THE CAKE HANDS DOWN! BMW and Acura don't even touch it in the sports sedan class...[:D]

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I hadn't quite taken notice of the skidpad capabilities, but that IS impressive. My only beef with that is skidpad #s does not really translate good track (with twisties ofcourse :)) times. The combination of that and sloalem speeds actually do that. But in the same token high skidpad times do usually go hand in hand with rougher riding (not that I am complaining, my stang pulled ~.99 avg on a skidpad and rode a whole lot rougher than the G35 could dream of). I think a second look at the suspension by Nissan should be looked at cos oversteer could be a problem with high torque/high skidpad #s.

But I am really not concerned about the handling cos I love oversteer (used to it too much to completey give it up :D), and with a good driver, could translate to much better times than any of the other cars in its class can muster. I am more concerned with the accelaration which I think is a little lacking in the coupe. So anyone??? tarck times? I am actually hoping the ragmags have old enough drivers who do not know how to handle a high torque cars and are spinning too much loosing the traps speeds from letting out or something to that nature. That will explain and put my mind at ease before I spend hardearned 35+k on the car.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yes kponti these are good points. As far as the track times go again I read Car and Driver pulled a 14.6 out of it which I have seen other mags pull in the sedan...so that doesn't seem right. Hopefully we can get some peeps who will take theirs to the track and show us some times.[:D]

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The difference between the three cars in accelleration is so small, the driver would have a larger impact than anything else. You sound like you can handle a car. As such, I'd expect you to beat just about any Bimmer driver I've ever met.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Motor Trend claims to pull off a 14.2 with the coupe 6mt, and 14.6 on the sedan...not bad i say =)...

FLaCo = SKiNNy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by FLaCo

Motor Trend claims to pull off a 14.2 with the coupe 6mt, and 14.6 on the sedan...not bad i say =)...

FLaCo = SKiNNy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

14.2 will be around what i would expect from this car with an average driver ala motortrend/car driver. I hope to see more of that on this board. I am actually hoping to see more 99+mph when these cars get broken in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

The difference between the three cars in accelleration is so small, the driver would have a larger impact than anything else. You sound like you can handle a car. As such, I'd expect you to beat just about any Bimmer driver I've ever met.

But that is what I do not really like. The G35 has ~50+ hp on the BMW, yet I will need to use skill to be able to beat one?? That doesn't seem to sink in well with me. Cos if they are both trapping the same, then I might as well wait for the 6sp sedan to come out since the coupes are overated and are really the same 260BHP as the sedans.

See what I mean?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to reiterate, I am not bashing the car, just wanting to know if I have to lower my expectations for the car or to keep hoping the slower times are cos of bad drivers.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I think that for some reason the G is very sensative to driving capabilities. We've seen 0-60 times ranging from 5.6 to 6.0 from major magazines. [dunno]

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
153 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kponti
14.2 will be around what i would expect from this car with an average driver ala motortrend/car driver. I hope to see more of that on this board. I am actually hoping to see more 99+mph when these cars get broken in.

So, are you still not content?...

FLaCo = SKiNNy

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kponti

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

But that is what I do not really like. The G35 has ~50+ hp on the BMW, yet I will need to use skill to be able to beat one?? That doesn't seem to sink in well with me. Cos if they are both trapping the same, then I might as well wait for the 6sp sedan to come out since the coupes are overated and are really the same 260BHP as the sedans.

See what I mean?

Horse power is not an accurate predictor of speed. There are far too many variables involved. In the case of the Bimmer, it's gear ratio is heavily focused on low end accelleration. I remember seeing a better break down comparison between the 3 series and the coupe and the only range in which the Bimmer was faster was in the 30-60 range.

If you're looking for something to push the win in one direction or another, just consider the top speed. The Bimmer is governed in the 120's. The G is governed in the 150's. The accelleration of the Bimmer drops down outside of that "passing" range. In other words, you shouldn't have trouble beating a Bimmer so long as you have enough stretch of road to get a good speed going.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yes agreed Semi...exactly and speaking of which I raced a 330 on the way back from Dallas today. I even told him to go from about a 40 punch along I-45 and he got a little jump on me but after about 60mph I caught up to him and he was toast...I stopped about 110 and was at least 2 car lengths ahead of him...fun stuff![:D]

'03 G35 Sedan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts