Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site so I did some searching around last night. It seems that everyone is taking in their car for oil changes. Does anybody do it themselves? How difficult is it? Is the car made to make it tough for a consumer to get in there and do it themselves?

Thanks![:D]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 6-speed manual with the navigation system. The nav system has a feature where it tells you how many kilometres/miles until your next service. On my Canadian-spec car, the first oil change was due at 6,000 km. While driving to the dealership, I passed the 6,000km mark. At 6,001 km the nav system popped up a screen with a picture of a wrench and a message reminding me that I was overdue for an oil and filter change!

If you do change the oil on your own, you're going to have to figure out how to reset the maintenance computer.

Anyone know how to do this? Or does it require a scan-tool from the dealer?

*** 2003 G35 Coupe, 6-Speed manual ***

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If you do change the oil on your own, you're going to have to figure out how to reset the maintenance computer.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Or you could ask your dealer to do it.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Anyone know how to do this? Or does it require a scan-tool from the dealer?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It's a menu in the Navi that's accessible after holding down some buttons for a while. The guy did it to fast in my presence to memorize all of what he was doing though.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
It's really simple to reset the maintenance computer.

1. Click the "Info" Button
2. Scroll down to "Maintenance" (3rd item)
3. Should be pretty easy to figure out form there.

-Ken

<font size="1">2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance</font id="size1">

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi:

Just ckecked out the above info on my G35 C. The "Options" button must be on the Navi system only. So, the question remains, does any body know how to up date the computer if/after you do your own oil changes or have a 'fast lube' do it, particularly on cars w/o Navi?

'03.5 6MT DP

·
Registered
550 Posts
Teh cars w/o Navi does not have the Maintenance feature for a driver to display.
Its only on the Navigation package

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
3 Posts
How much is an oil change at the dealer? Is the maintenance cost that high? After spending the $ for the car is it not worth it to send it in to the dealer?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GREAT question Jarrett. I'm curious of the same thing as I'll have my G shortly.....anyone have any feedback on this?[dunno]

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I don't think it's too much more than a quick oil change place. My dealer gave me the first one free so that alone tells you that it's not worth much [^]

03 Laser Red 6MT | Willow int | No fancy stuff | 30% Tint and 3M Clear Bra

·
Registered
26 Posts
I brought Mobil 1 Synthetic to the dealer and they charged $18 for the filter and service.

Diamond Graphite/Diamond Graphite 6MT SC

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi:

IMHO it's not the cost that is the over-riding issue. It's whether or not Infiniti/Nissan has built in a feature that inhibits ones ability to go to independents or do-it-your-self (DIY). When I bought the car, the salesman voluntered that the car could be serviced by a non Infiniti service place or by DIY and that the warranty would still be honered.

And dosen't it defeat the purpose of a 'service needed' warning light if only a dealer can reset it after a task so frequent as an oil change?

'03.5 6MT DP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts