Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OIL CHANGE RANT!

Let me start by saying I have changed oil on several different vehicles, for a total of over 200 changes. I started changing my own oil after I took my new Corvette to the service station for an oil change, only to have the filter blow a seal upon leaving. Presto, 5 quarts of oil on the pavement and none in the crankcase. Wow! You mean the filter has to be on correctly??

Before I start, realize I love this car!! That does not mean that all is perfect. There ARE things I would change about it.

On to the oil change adventure with my new G35 sedan!!

Gather all the equipment. Get the oil and filter, rags and papers. All tools. Check! OK!

Oh look at the cheesy hood stick! I guess they could not figure out a counter-balance system like a Toyota. Nostalgic, kind of reminds me of a Pinto.

Oh, Oh! The car will not go up the ramps, the front air dam is too low. OK, jerry rig 2 boards to use as a "pre-ramp" (very high tech). Kind of exciting when only 2/3 of the right tire is on the ramp! Oh, well just stuff a jack stand under the frame and hope only my sternum gets crushed.

Now on to the 14 bolts holding the Saran Wrap under spoiler. Don't forget the plastic rivet. Now what do I do with it (4 feet x 4 feet)?

Drain the oil, this went OK! But, I don't have a filter wrench small enough to remove the thimble they call a filter. Oh yes, Brute force!

Drain and fill! OK, things are looking up! Check the oil. Whaaaat? This is an oil dipstick??? It is the worst engineering flaw I have ever seen! It has more curves then Marilyn Monroe! Not to mention, where the hell is the hole??? Whoever designed this dipstick is a dipsh*t!

Now start the car and run it to check for leaks. Twiddle thumbs. Wait... Wait... OK no leak, but don't forget the 14 bolts! If, you can hold the plastic sheet of an air dam in place and turn screws at the same time. The only way I would enjoy this is if Cindy Crawford was down there with me.

Now clean up and pray for no leaks.

Easy, huh!!

PS Why no daylight driving lights???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, I hate to say this to a car enthusiast, and I'm sure I'll catch some flak from the others, but you need to let someone else change the oil. Engineers do not spend time trying to make car maintenance easy for the DIY enthusiast. If you're a die-hard, I respect that, but find the right tools and methods. Don't complain about it.

You did warn us with the "rant" in the title, but seriously, oil changes are inexpensive at Kwik Car (or others), and they let you watch them the whole time. I always make sure they put the caps back, I check the amount of oil they put in, and I ask to see the dipstick. They always let me, and mostly relate since alot of them are really into cars but can't afford a nice one.

Sorry, but you got a really nice car and should enjoy it. By the way, if Cindy comes over, tell her I said "hi" and always change your oil.....send pictures please[:D]

·
Registered
119 Posts
So I guess you will be going to Jiffy Lube from here on out? A portable drill (Makita)makes quick work of the 14 screws and if you save the plastic one for last, it will seem like Cindy...oh please!

G35/S/6MT DP over Graphite, Premium.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
My oil change experience is much better.

Drive to dealer. Hand keys over to service people. Get some coffee. Read the paper, maybe watch some TV. 30 minutes later I'm out of there, free of charge.

Easy! Enthusiast or not, I don't see why anyone with an Infiniti would want to change their own oil.

<font size="1">'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav</font id="size1">

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
[wstupid]

<font size="1">2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance</font id="size1">

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! Thanks to all for the input! I sure learned my lesson. I guess this was an experiment that didn't go perfectly. But everything seems OK and all I am out is some time. I do know the job was done correctly!

(Also, this was mostly done tongue-in-cheek, in case that was missed).

·
Registered
68 Posts
First off, I don't take the plastic cover off the bottom. There is a cutout for to reach the oil plug and the filter. After the first oil change you shouldn't need a filter wrench (1/2 to 1 turn past o ring engagement.) Jack up the right side just a little higher than the left. Use the center jack point on the suspension crossmember (black metal piece just aft of the front plastic cover). It is a little hard to get a standard floorjack under there but if you run the car up on some 2" cinder block or lumber it will fit. put the jack just "SLIGHTLY" off center so the right side comes up farther.

The filter will make a small mess, but nothing 3 or 4 paper towels won't clean up (I put a couple around the edge of the cutout in case I tilt the filter too much)

Worst comesto worst, you end up pulling the engine cover and cleaning it off. No big deal. I have done 5 oil changes on this car now and it is literally just a few drops that spill now.

Next, the dipstick. RTFM, the owner's manual says to warm car up, shut off car let sit for 10 minutes to allow oil to drain to sump. Then pull out the dipstick, wipe it off, insert it again and boom there is you level. If you are anal like me you do it again and I have seen no erratic reads yet.

Hope this helps.

2003.5 Sedan Leather 6MT Metal Matrix Pads, K&N Drop-In, Exhaust Resonator Removed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">["
Hope this helps.

2003.5 Sedan Leather 6MT Metal Matrix Pads, K&N Drop-In, Exhaust Resonator Removed
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It does help. Thanks! As with any task, someone has found a more efficient way to do it.
Jimmy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts