Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under certain conditions I've notice a very hard, notchy feeling when shifting into 2nd and 3rd. Almost like the synchro's are not up to speed when the shift engages. Does not grind or anything, so I'm just wondering if this is the way the tranny is designed, or if it's something I should keep an eye on. [dunno]

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Registered
328 Posts
hey VQ...i ve noticed the same exact thing on my sedan but i didn't do anything about it because i thought maybe this is how it is...it shifts really stiff into second sometimes.

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's not a grinding feeling, just like the gears "catch" abruptly without being up to speed. Only happens in 2nd and 3rd.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
People have been complaining about this on FA and other fora for a while. Infiniti seems unconcerned so I suppose this is simply the nature of the tranny. I'm not sure I understand the nature of the complaint well enough, personally.

·
Registered
328 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

I'm not sure I understand the nature of the complaint well enough, personally.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

what happens is that when you shift to first its this one lump that you feel when you shift which is normal but when you shift to second that lump is there and also there is another lump that you have to pass that is very stiff so like you have to push the shifter into second a little harder for it to completely enter second. I hope this helps your understanding of the problem.

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Yup, but I'm betting that it softens up a little in time. My old Maxima was the same way in the beginning. By 1500 miles, it was very slick.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The notchiness of the shifter even caught the attention of the Road and Track Writers/Testers as the listed that notchy feeling as one of the "LOWS" of the G35 Coupe 6 Speed.

It is most likely normal. Mine does it as well.

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by hyeteck

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

I'm not sure I understand the nature of the complaint well enough, personally.

what happens is that when you shift to first its this one lump that you feel when you shift which is normal but when you shift to second that lump is there and also there is another lump that you have to pass that is very stiff so like you have to push the shifter into second a little harder for it to completely enter second. I hope this helps your understanding of the problem.

2003.5 6MT Sedan

That actually does explain it far better, thanks. I do notice what you're talking about and it actually causes me to never quite feel as sure in this car as I have in other sports cars. I find myself pulling against the wheel when shifting into second, though I don't notice it much in third.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EXACTLY Semi! I find myself grabbing the wheel hard and trying to get a better shift into second. It's really hit or miss. I'm trying to figure out if it's a certain speed, RPM, or clutch pressure, but I've still come up blank.

Feels very similar to shifting into reverse on older cars. You feel some "gear feedback" in the stick.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I find it just notchy when changing gears......I cant say that I am having that much of a problem.I feel a little resistance, where you cannot change the gears lightly. No big deal to me as I have to realize that I am not driving a Honda Accord here.

After all , we own a Skyline. This is "High Performance" Material here. This car is said to be designed with the best and most innovative solutions from the manufacturer.

I have been reading the reviews for the 350Z and they say the same thing about the 6 Speed version---The key word is "Notchy"

Actually, the word of the day for most high performance cars is "Notchy." I also researched the BMW M3 and they say the same too about their 6 speed.

My conclusion is "Notchy-ness" must come with the "High Performance" territory.

[cheers]

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

1 - 10 of 10 Posts