Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, found this site while researching and hope I could have a few questions answered.

I just ordered my 6MT coupe today. It will take 4 months but I dont mind, gives me more time to save for the downpayment. I didnt get any of the options. I definitly wasnt about to spend $900 on the B(l)ose audio system, figured it would be much better spent putting in a custom one myself. Here is what I was wondering:

1) Will the non-bose system have an external amp as well? The reason I ask is besides replacing the speakers, I will upgrade the amp. So, I will obviously need low-level outs for the best quality and wanted to make sure it would as redily accessable as the Bose amp would be (in the truck).

2) How are people taping those low level lines? Can I just cut the wires, pick up a set of coax connectors at RatShack, and solder them on? Or is there some trick to it like digging them out from a bundle of wires?

3) Could someone break down or povide a link explaining where exactly the drivers are and how to get to them? In other words, where are the Tweaters, mids, and sub?

4) Any special tools needed to get the doors off or take off panels? Any good reference material on this? When I was at the dealer I was trying to figure out how to get those black plugs off that hold the trunk panel on.

Thanks for any help. Hopefully all of this planning will help the next four months go by quickly!

Ernie

Red/Graphite 6MT G35 Coupe (on Order)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Will the non-bose system have an external amp as well?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

1) Both systems are done by Bose. The "Premium" system just adds a larger amp and a couple extra speakers to my knowledge.

2) I believe so as they use the same head unit.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">So, I will obviously need low-level outs for the best quality and wanted to make sure it would as redily accessable as the Bose amp would be (in the truck).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You will probably need a little doohickey that converts the head unit's output to standard line level as the Bose amp takes in a higher voltage output, I believe.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">2) How are people taping those low level lines? Can I just cut the wires, pick up a set of coax connectors at RatShack, and solder them on? Or is there some trick to it like digging them out from a bundle of wires?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Do a search on Fresh Alloy as there are a few threads with explicate directions.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">3) Could someone break down or povide a link explaining where exactly the drivers are and how to get to them? In other words, where are the Tweaters, mids, and sub?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Tweeters are on the door, up by the window, opposite the side mirrors. The 6.5" woofer is down lower on the door. There's a set of speakers in the arm rest in the back seats, that have an opening the size of a pair of 4" woofers but several have claimed they are actually 6.5" behind the panel. There are also a set of 6x9's in the rear deck. Obviously, two of these are removed for the stock package (I think the 6x9's but I don't have it).

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">4) Any special tools needed to get the doors off or take off panels? Any good reference material on this? When I was at the dealer I was trying to figure out how to get those black plugs off that hold the trunk panel on.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't have the link handy. Do a search of Fresh Alloy.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
semi comes through as usual. just a couple other notes:

if you're upgrading the speakers and amps, it's hardly worth it to get the premium package. You're gonna throw it all away anyways. However, if you plan on getting the nav, you will, unfortunatley, have to get the premium.

I had a loaner sedan last week that did NOT have premium, and it sounded just as good (bad) as the premium one in my coupe.

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I did a few searches on Fresh Alloy and have found some good info. I still have some looking to do....

The only option I really wanted was the Nav system but since they made you buy everything else with it, I passed. Didn’t even get the sunroof. It would be nice and would probably help add value if I ever sold the car but I just didn’t like they way it broke up the silhouette of the car in Red. If I got it in black, they I would have gotten it.

Thanks again.
Ernie

Red/Graphite 6MT G35 Coupe (on Order)

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Ernie,

VQ (the board administrator) also ordered essentially what you ordered (base model 6mt) which makes a lot of sense since you want to change out the stereo. I'm not sure how long he actually waited, but Infiniti doesn't make a lot of them without options which is probably why they quoted you 4 months. Hope it comes in sooner!

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts