Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 g35 coupe 6 m/t 76k miles

Yesterday i went to start my car and i go to start it, nothing. No crank and it wont start. So I checked all the fuses (near clutch + under hood), all good. I tried pop starting it and it started right up and I drove home. (tested the battery 12.59 volts and the alternator at 14.8 and with a load [headlights, heat, radio] it went down to 14.4). So i ruled out it couldnt be a bad battery nor a bad alternator. no corrosion around the battery terminals. I decided to buy a new starter today, put it in and went to start the car– nothing. No crank no start still. so i pop started it again, runs like a champ. serpentine belt is good all the pulleys run strong. Not the anti-theft car alarm because it recognizes the key. So Im pretty much clueless from here.... anyone have any ideas? In the box with the new starter was a bulletin staying if you have no crank no start and have these symptoms, then you need a new IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module) and for my year the part number was 284B7-AL51B.

BOTTOM LINE
-No crank no start
-not the starter, alternator, battery, fuses, car alarm
-could be the starter relay located in the IPDM, but how do i check a relay? if it was bad wouldnt it be clicking when i try to start it and the engine 'attempts' to roll over?

what else could it be?! is it the IPDM? any advice would be greatly appreciated

-thanks!

here is the bulletin i was referring to.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yea just sounds like an electrical issue obviously. Idk how to to check the relays.. but hear is another idea maybe could be a key switch good luck fixing. Or maybe just always park on a decline. Lol

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
Do you have a spare key? Try it to rule out any anti theft issue.

It could still be the battery.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I'd guess starter switch since it doesn't even spin the starter and it pop starts

sent from Galaxy Note 2

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea just sounds like an electrical issue obviously. Idk how to to check the relays.. but hear is another idea maybe could be a key switch good luck fixing. Or maybe just always park on a decline. Lol
lol i wish then it would save the hassle of trying to pop start it. im almost sure its the IPDM b/c i replaced the starter already

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Or maybe just always park on a decline. Lol
I did that for many months.
My old VW Fox was a great lil work horse and I was too lazy to go get a new battery.
Everything around here is hilly.
My wife finally shamed me (I guess by being embarrassed to see me doing this) and I finally went and got one.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
If you have anything you don't drive/use regularly, one of those little $15 - $30 battery maintainers are well worth it. You can use them to keep batteries UP and it extends their life by a wide margin. Motorcycles, cars-trucks that sit for days or more ... lawnmower-snowblowers etc....

I'll either fire up my m/c in a day or two or I'll hook the charger up for the season. The bike has a read out and it's at 12.3.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The relay would definitely be the next step for me. But you're sure doing the right steps- most people get on here, "car won't start, got battery checked at autozone, what next?" I don't even do as good as I should.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
haha "i put the key in and it wouldnt turn on, plz help" lol one of those ones. yeah i mean i usually never have a problem narrowing it down to what it could be, but this is just stumping me. ill try the relay and get back to everyone.

-merry xmas everyone.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I did that for many months.
My old VW Fox was a great lil work horse and I was too lazy to go get a new battery.
Everything around here is hilly.
My wife finally shamed me (I guess by being embarrassed to see me doing this) and I finally went and got one.
I had a tacoma that had a bad starter up until I sold it. I always parked in declines. It was such a pain. But I never wanted to put money into it. I got use to it after a while. Then my fan went out shortly after that was fun to.

·
Super Moderator
27,333 Posts
clutch switch?

not sure how many switches are down there but I know the cruise kicks out if the clutch is depressed. might be the same switch as the starter interlock. next time you're driving, set the cruise and press the clutch. see if the cruise kicks off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
clutch switch?

not sure how many switches are down there but I know the cruise kicks out if the clutch is depressed. might be the same switch as the starter interlock. next time you're driving, set the cruise and press the clutch. see if the cruise kicks off.
wow sir you are a genius, that might be it. let me check and get back to you. i think this might solve it because i found a little white thing broken on the ground when i went to start it and it just might be that. i didnt think anything of it, let me check and ill get back to everyone.

EDIT: where is the switch located?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
clutch switch?

PROBLEM SOLVE :-D
+10000000 to thatguy. thanks so much, wow i replaced the starter but didn't check the clutch switch -_____-

·
Super Moderator
27,333 Posts
now that I think about it, the cruise and starter interlock have to be different switches. the starter interlock is at the bottom of the stroke and the switch for the cruise has to be at the top of the stroke.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
damn I'm good.
you are haha, you save me over 500$ and a trip to the stealership, i honestly probably would not have thought it was the clutch switch. thank you sir, now here ill bring a 30 rack over for you haha cheers

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
I should have thought about that clutch switch. I had to replace it in my coupe.

The switch isn't too expensive from the dealer and its easy to replace. If you need to, you can jump the switch until you get a new one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts