Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I'm classifying this as talks with Nissan and not directed at the dealer per se. I think the dealer can be an advocate for customers but in the long run, they have to respect the decisions above even if they don't agree. It's like biting the hand that feeds you so-to-speak. If possible, direct your efforts with the highest of authority or zone manager of the region or State you are in.

"...there is absolutely no traceable history on my car and no service records from Nissan."

Not sure what that means and they ought to explain it in specifics.

As you say, the car was Certified so ideally, you have whatever service records and oil changes info you have done on the car since you have had it to document that stuff. Most companies won't feel obligated to stand behind that type of work if there is no history of service records documented so the point here is (hopefully)

A) You can answer that concern with info and documentation since you've had the car....

B) Any prior history, owners, service work, LOF frequency etc falls to the expressed guarantee by a dealer selling a car as CERTIFIED. IOW- You Don't have to answer for that part of the car history and of course, you cannot because you simply wouldn't know that information. Your piece of mind as a customer was buying a Certified car.

In other words, what does certified mean to Infiniti ? Apparently it means False Advertising since it implies they know the car is in good condition or they have positive information on it's history yet they admit there is absolutely no traceable history on my car and no service records . YIKES- Did they really say that ? :surprise: Did they put it in writing ? :grin2:

I don't think they can have it both ways and I'd let them know it's far better to help you out on this to some level of mutual resolution since getting legal help on this is only your last resort and any legal professional would agree, THEY CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS .

They have essentially 'certified' your car to burn up the motor in short order and, by their own admission. Keep records of everything they say (write it down word/word) and all correspondence.
Be persistent so they think you are only going to give up 3 days after your death certificate gets printed, Don't be too snarky or angry and toss in a sense of humor if things get heated.

Here is what I'd start with- Look, there are times when you know somebody is going to try blowing smoke up your butt rather than do the right thing but this is smoke from the car you sold me for crap sake !!

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I might be in a Nissan rental next week.
If I can't burn up the motor, I'll leave fresh fish in the trunk !! >:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, we can start by looking on the bright side- ALL correspondence since day 1 is in email- so all documented. The GM said he would call me Friday to talk of a resolution- he didn't call so I called him and re-explained my concerns- his answer was- "that oil consumption is BAD, we need to get you out of that car and into something else." At first I was all for it and started telling him what models/features/colors I am looking for and he noted all this and then half way through I kinda paused and thought "wait, he's probably going to just rip me off on my trade in value and sell me something more expensive!" So I addressed this concern and he said not to worry he will make the deal "as fair as possible based on the circumstances."

I don't think I can win if they take the car back and give me something else, i can almost guarantee that the difference will be large and I already went over my budget with this car first of all and if I am going to give a dealer another chunk of cash it won't be this that's for sure. I want to email him back and express this but I am not sure how to go about it. Right now he probably sees this as an opportunity to make money off me (again) but all I want is my car fixed. Now if he were to give me something newer without charging me extra great, but I am pretty sure that's not how these things work.

Just asking for some advice on how I should proceed with the dealer, so far I have been getting my point across but never been rude.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hell, for sh*ts and giggles I will copy the service managers reply:

Good morning,

I just heard from Infiniti Canada, unfortunately they have denied the claim for any warranty goodwill assistance. The main reason being that they cannot track any past history of the vehicle being at any Infiniti dealership for regular maintenance. The history is very important in determining whether the vehicle has been neglected or not. If you wish you can call me anytime to discuss however I will not be able to change to outcome of their decision.

Best regards,

Service Manager

Please tell me that having this bullsh*t in writing will give me some kind of upper hand? right?

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
In getting you out of that car, I would expect credit of your full out the door purchase price toward another vehicle that has service records to back the warranty. If you have to compromise some, give in on the government fees only, but I would expect you should get everything back including the fees to put towards another vehicle,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In getting you out of that car, I would expect credit of your full out the door purchase price toward another vehicle that has service records to back the warranty. If you have to compromise some, give in on the government fees only, but I would expect you should get everything back including the fees to put towards another vehicle,
Thanks Gilley! Do you think my case is strong enough to make those demands? I know the dealer is going to try and tell me its not so I am just trying to find my strongest angle to keep pushing until I get another car without any additional money out of my pocket.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Thanks Gilley! Do you think my case is strong enough to make those demands? I know the dealer is going to try and tell me its not so I am just trying to find my strongest angle to keep pushing until I get another car without any additional money out of my pocket.
That advice from Gilley is spot on.... YOU are your own advocate and need to hold the line on what you are willing to accept.
Thus far you've been lead by their suggestions that your car indeed is beyond normal (agreeing with things you already knew and are well documented by metering devices etc....) by their own experts and in that process, the one dealer (first one) did nothing other than waste your time.
They've inferred they will do something about it and corporate seems to be stalling or backing out.

You have been a victim further victimized IMO and need to express that IF it comes to that.

At this point, I'd play it as you have no reliable transportation due to this stalling on a resolution and see that they step it up to get you a satisfied deal.

Patience can be good in many cases but I think the longer this gets dragged out, the better it is for infiniti ( in their mind ) to walk away.

Jot down the time line so you have it in front of you anytime you talk to anybody. :smile2:
Good Luck !!

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
One question though, is the dealer that is trying to get you out of your car the same dealer that sold you the car? If so, you have leverage to demand full credit of your purchase price. If it's a different dealer you don't have as much leverage, but demanding full price is a good starting point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
One question though, is the dealer that is trying to get you out of your car the same dealer that sold you the car? If so, you have leverage to demand full credit of your purchase price. If it's a different dealer you don't have as much leverage, but demanding full price is a good starting point.
It certainly is the same dealer that sold me the car that is trying to resolve this for me Gilley. I have started increasing the pressure and saying all things that were written above. The Gm said "how about I give you a $2000 credit towards any future maintenance at our dealership" and my response was "how about you give me a credit for the full price it will cost to repair my engine." He said elt me find out the cost and get back to you. He called me within the hour and said that it will cost $8000 for the repair therefore he will need to find me a different vehicle, but he claimed this will be difficult because 6mt 37 coupes don't come to dealers often. I told him that I can't wait any longer and then he left me VM later that night stating he has started a national search for all Infiniti's/Nissans that meet my criteria that are coming off lease and have a clean and traceable service record. my car is a Sport model G so I asked for a sport model G or 370z with back-up camera and 6 speed manual. He said he will get back to me Friday.

I will be following up Friday regardless.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
It's reasonable IMO for them to get you that credit toward another car but I'm not sure how it necessarily puts them on the hook for a close to exact replacement. I'm glad they are working toward that goal though.

They won't want to give you cash in hand because whatever deal they work out, there is sure to be something they can offset their loss on . By rights, Infiniti should supplement the dealer on this to some extent as in satisfying you as the customer and supporting the dealer in their part of helping out.

Sound like progress is in the works though !! :grin2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So here is the latest- the GM phoned me and said he is not able to source any similar cars and this process may take way too long, so he wants to refocus on the engine repair. He said the quote from Infiniti was $8000m for the engine repair (6k parts, 2k labor). He tried negotiating with me seeing if I would accept paying 50% of the repair, then offered 25% of the repair, but I remained firm on as little to 0 as possible. We left off with my request for him to provide me with a breakdown of what exactly they are replacing for 8k- to me that sounds like a full long block replacement (way to expensive for just short block IMO). He then said he will look into this and started explaining about a 3rd party warranty offered exclusively through his dealer and all repairs are covered at his dealer and if i buy this it will immediately cover the engine repair plus additional stuff down the road.

I made it clear that I do not want to pay anything extra, but in the back of my mind if they are willing to give me a brand new engine with this stupid warranty I think I am willing to pay a max of 2k out of my pocket. I don't want to pay anything but I think 2k or less for a brand new engine will put an end to this nightmare and I would walk out happy. Now, if that price were a short block I won't even pay a penny! I feel if they replace just the short there is a good chance they will cause more harm than good because I will be at the mercy of the techs for this complicated job and they might not put things back together properly. A new engine will be a simpler procedure because they will simply just remove the old and drop in the new, rather than removing the top and putting in a new bottom. Plus is will be easier to see a brand new engine and know they were not screwing around and just saying they fixed something as opposed to the short block.

Thoughts?

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
The typical repair under warranty is a short block. If your dealer replaces the short block you would still have the dealer responsible for correct installation and operation of your vehicle. Make sure the GM understands this if this is their repair and you won't be nicked and dimed for anything related to this repair.

The main difference in replacing the short block vs long block are installation of the heads and intake.

I would be ok with replacement of the short block with no out of pocket money. If there are any bad parts like the head or intake, argue those should be covered u dear warranty of some sort.

You could also negotiate to pay for the extended warranty for the dealer's cost. There is a profit center for those warranties with big markup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The typical repair under warranty is a short block. If your dealer replaces the short block you would still have the dealer responsible for correct installation and operation of your vehicle. Make sure the GM understands this if this is their repair and you won't be nicked and dimed for anything related to this repair.

The main difference in replacing the short block vs long block are installation of the heads and intake.

I would be ok with replacement of the short block with no out of pocket money. If there are any bad parts like the head or intake, argue those should be covered u dear warranty of some sort.

You could also negotiate to pay for the extended warranty for the dealer's cost. There is a profit center for those warranties with big markup.
This is my big dilemma! He told me dealer price for warranty is 2600 while customers pay 3700. Right off the bat I will need to pay almost 3 grand out of pocket to get my short block replaced. On the other hand I just switched to full synthetic Motul 8100 and drove 1200km and have not even burned a drop of oil! I think having me pay an additional 3k is ridiculous and I would rather just take my chances. Basically, in my last ditch effort what should I ask the dealer for as my remedy- maybe a service credit at his dealership, some money off my car?

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Maybe as Gilley points out, the short block repair saves them significant money and labor so this is your 'contribution' so to speak.

Settle for that and tell them you are doing so because you have no out of pocket money to give them for anything and you certainly won't take out a loan for an extended service coverage.

If all else fails, offer to split the dealer cost of $2600 for the coverage if your grandma will help you out.

Then, eventually you have a great solid car you can drive or sell or trade at some point later on with great value to it.

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
You need to do something along the lines of replacing the motor - long or short block - instead of using Motul and hoping the problem will be fixed. It probably won't be fixed for long and you have the dealer willing to work with you.

Or you could swap the car for something close to what you have plus some cash back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
You need to do something along the lines of replacing the motor - long or short block - instead of using Motul and hoping the problem will be fixed. It probably won't be fixed for long and you have the dealer willing to work with you.

Or you could swap the car for something close to what you have plus some cash back.
We are in negotiations now. My biggest concern is that the dealer will have to essentially take apart my engine and rebuild it- I am at their mercy to put ti back together and hope they do not re-use parts they should not re-use. I am thinking if they mess up this procedure I will be blessed with a whole bunch of other issues and my minor oil consumption will not look so bad. Reason I'm worried about issues down the line are because when I told the dealer I can't afford the warranty he proposed they will cover all the parts without the warranty as long as I pay the labor and he will waive the taxes. His latest offer was 900 cash and he will put in a brand new short block and the seals and gaskets will also be new. I would rather have him do this through the warranty for either the same price or free however.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sorry for dragging this thread on I just feel so indecisive- i want this done for as little cost to me but as professionally as possible so my motor will be in top notch shape- I don't think I should have to settle for all I have been through!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts