Super Duper Moderator
You could take legal action against Nissan but it might be expensive.
Thanks Gilley! Do you think my case is strong enough to make those demands? I know the dealer is going to try and tell me its not so I am just trying to find my strongest angle to keep pushing until I get another car without any additional money out of my pocket.In getting you out of that car, I would expect credit of your full out the door purchase price toward another vehicle that has service records to back the warranty. If you have to compromise some, give in on the government fees only, but I would expect you should get everything back including the fees to put towards another vehicle,
That advice from Gilley is spot on.... YOU are your own advocate and need to hold the line on what you are willing to accept.Thanks Gilley! Do you think my case is strong enough to make those demands? I know the dealer is going to try and tell me its not so I am just trying to find my strongest angle to keep pushing until I get another car without any additional money out of my pocket.
It certainly is the same dealer that sold me the car that is trying to resolve this for me Gilley. I have started increasing the pressure and saying all things that were written above. The Gm said "how about I give you a $2000 credit towards any future maintenance at our dealership" and my response was "how about you give me a credit for the full price it will cost to repair my engine." He said elt me find out the cost and get back to you. He called me within the hour and said that it will cost $8000 for the repair therefore he will need to find me a different vehicle, but he claimed this will be difficult because 6mt 37 coupes don't come to dealers often. I told him that I can't wait any longer and then he left me VM later that night stating he has started a national search for all Infiniti's/Nissans that meet my criteria that are coming off lease and have a clean and traceable service record. my car is a Sport model G so I asked for a sport model G or 370z with back-up camera and 6 speed manual. He said he will get back to me Friday.One question though, is the dealer that is trying to get you out of your car the same dealer that sold you the car? If so, you have leverage to demand full credit of your purchase price. If it's a different dealer you don't have as much leverage, but demanding full price is a good starting point.
This is my big dilemma! He told me dealer price for warranty is 2600 while customers pay 3700. Right off the bat I will need to pay almost 3 grand out of pocket to get my short block replaced. On the other hand I just switched to full synthetic Motul 8100 and drove 1200km and have not even burned a drop of oil! I think having me pay an additional 3k is ridiculous and I would rather just take my chances. Basically, in my last ditch effort what should I ask the dealer for as my remedy- maybe a service credit at his dealership, some money off my car?The typical repair under warranty is a short block. If your dealer replaces the short block you would still have the dealer responsible for correct installation and operation of your vehicle. Make sure the GM understands this if this is their repair and you won't be nicked and dimed for anything related to this repair.
The main difference in replacing the short block vs long block are installation of the heads and intake.
I would be ok with replacement of the short block with no out of pocket money. If there are any bad parts like the head or intake, argue those should be covered u dear warranty of some sort.
You could also negotiate to pay for the extended warranty for the dealer's cost. There is a profit center for those warranties with big markup.
We are in negotiations now. My biggest concern is that the dealer will have to essentially take apart my engine and rebuild it- I am at their mercy to put ti back together and hope they do not re-use parts they should not re-use. I am thinking if they mess up this procedure I will be blessed with a whole bunch of other issues and my minor oil consumption will not look so bad. Reason I'm worried about issues down the line are because when I told the dealer I can't afford the warranty he proposed they will cover all the parts without the warranty as long as I pay the labor and he will waive the taxes. His latest offer was 900 cash and he will put in a brand new short block and the seals and gaskets will also be new. I would rather have him do this through the warranty for either the same price or free however.You need to do something along the lines of replacing the motor - long or short block - instead of using Motul and hoping the problem will be fixed. It probably won't be fixed for long and you have the dealer willing to work with you.
Or you could swap the car for something close to what you have plus some cash back.