Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I would like to introduce myself firstly to these forums and say that I wanted a G coupe since they came out and as luck would have it I was finally able to buy a 2010 G37S 6MT black with only 31km on it (and by luck I mean i totaled my Civic SI in a pretty dangerous accident, but I am OK).

I picked up my car in early December and one of the selling points was that it still had warranty until the end of April. I figured that this would be some good insurance in case there are some major issues early on. After my first oil change at my trusted mechanic 5km later, he informed me I was down a significant amount of oil. I explained to him that at highway speeds I usually smell what resembles burning rubber and he told me that was the culprit. I immediately took my car to the dealership and started the oil consumption test process based on the TSB for the short block replacement. The dealer would check my oil level and tell me to come in 1000km later to check the level. I did this 3 times and each time the dipstick was at the low mark. On the 3rd time, they also ziptied my dipstick and chalked up everything so there could be no tampering with the oil- still consumed a lot of oil.

After the 3rd test I asked the technician what happens now and he became extremely rude and defensive saying "I don't f**kn know I find this really suspicious. I replied my car is burning oil and something needs to be done and he said "I'm busy I don't have time for this sh*t and walked away. I immediately complained to the service manager and he said he would "look into this and work with the tech line of Nissan NA. I contacted Nissan Canada to file a complaint and to address my issue and let them know I want it fixed! They got back to me in 2 days and said "we talked to your dealer and we decided we are not doing anything because "sports cars burn oil and this is normal." When I told them this thing is burning so much oil it won't even make it to the full change interval without a top up they just brushed me off and said talk to your dealer.

I am extremely frustrated that I bought an expensive used car under warranty with such low kilometers and that consumes oil this bad, I feel like I am out of options and even though I have a legitimate concern no one is going to help me and I am stuck with an oil burner. I am hoping people on this forum can give me some advice on how I can proceed because right now I feel helpless and depressed because I have exhausted all of my avenues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, sorry to make my first post so negative, but hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
53,488 Posts
You could try another dealer but since Nissan corporate has denied anything is wrong then you'll likely have to sue Nissan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could try another dealer but since Nissan corporate has denied anything is wrong then you'll likely have to sue Nissan.
Thanks for the quick reply- I assume this will be a very challenging uphill battle that may not even be worth fighting?

Also, would continuing to just top this car up with oil for as long as I own it be fine or are there big problems brewing up ahead?

·
Premium Member
53,488 Posts
There is a bulletin that shows how the oil consumption test must be performed and that if a motor fails the test then it would be replaced with a short block. - Infinitihelp.com. You need to know the results of your tests to see if your motor failed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So here is an update- when Nissan denied my claim they clearly said if I disagree than go do the test somewhere else. At first I was upset and refused but I now found a reputable dealer near my house who is willing to do the test again. I called Nissan to notify them and they said originally it won't matter because the car is out of warranty as of April 27th this year. I told them firstly I started this claim before the warranty expired and secondly they were the ones who said to get a second opinion. I find this frustrating and I need to start communicating with them exclusively in writing to avoid them the ability to backpedal. After a lengthy conversation they finally said your car is out of warranty but if you get a second opinion and submit the results to us "we will see what we can do, but continue working with your dealer."

I was also lucky enough to speak to one of my lawyers at work and he advised me that I should never of done the oil consumption test at the dealer where I purchased the vehicle because they are biased to protect their salesman as well as their dealership. Essentially they don't want to prove that their dealership sold me a problematic vehicle. I am going to continue with the oil consumption test at the new dealer while at the same time escalating my complaint with Nissan Canada and the dealership where I purchased my vehicle. I cannot believe the amount of hassle I am going through and I have never had to fight so hard for something that should have been covered under warranty in my life. I am feeling very pessimistic about the whole situation but I am just going to keep going through the motions and remain as positive as I can I guess.

·
Premium Member
53,488 Posts
Best of luck. Keep is updated.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
So here is an update- when Nissan denied my claim they clearly said if I disagree than go do the test somewhere else. At first I was upset and refused but I now found a reputable dealer near my house who is willing to do the test again. I called Nissan to notify them and they said originally it won't matter because the car is out of warranty as of April 27th this year. I told them firstly I started this claim before the warranty expired and secondly they were the ones who said to get a second opinion. I find this frustrating and I need to start communicating with them exclusively in writing to avoid them the ability to backpedal. After a lengthy conversation they finally said your car is out of warranty but if you get a second opinion and submit the results to us "we will see what we can do, but continue working with your dealer."

I was also lucky enough to speak to one of my lawyers at work and he advised me that I should never of done the oil consumption test at the dealer where I purchased the vehicle because they are biased to protect their salesman as well as their dealership. Essentially they don't want to prove that their dealership sold me a problematic vehicle. I am going to continue with the oil consumption test at the new dealer while at the same time escalating my complaint with Nissan Canada and the dealership where I purchased my vehicle. I cannot believe the amount of hassle I am going through and I have never had to fight so hard for something that should have been covered under warranty in my life. I am feeling very pessimistic about the whole situation but I am just going to keep going through the motions and remain as positive as I can I guess.

Yes, go through with the test at the other dealer as you did before. This test will only further prove what the dealer should have documented in the first place and that should not reset the clock, but rather prove that while under warranty, the other dealer (tech) and their foul unprofessional approach, the way they treated you and offensive language SHOULD be detailed to the highest of levels within the organization. This second test is nothing other than a huge inconvenience for you and making you go through it twice can easily be argued that; A) They are willfully trying to put you off past warranty period or; B) Your inconvenience and their 'beyond warranty' claim is a wash and they need to correct the situation they forced you to prove twice all because of the first dealers malfeasance and substandard representation of Nissan professionalism.

Use those or any other quotes-

After the 3rd test I asked the technician what happens now and he became extremely rude and defensive saying "I don't f**kn know I find this really suspicious. I replied my car is burning oil and something needs to be done and he said "I'm busy I don't have time for this sh*t and walked away.

and that first test should have had documented measured levels of consumption,,, I hope you have copies of that stuff and if so, keep it all in a file with the details of that the tech's comments quotes etc... If not, anything you can recall verbatim can be written as notes and used to help build your action.

They have past history to admitted oil problems and went to the 70k miles point to take care of customers that were affected.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bachman- thank you for taking the time to reply and give your input. You have actually raised some CRUCIAL points I will elaborate on.

When I went to the 2nd dealer this week they did an oil change first and then they started the consumption test and printed me out all of the official documents to show that the oil consumption test has been started and that document even noted little details such as "the car was slightly low on oil but the customer stated the previous dealership topped him up 1.5 weeks ago." As he handed me these documents he notified me they would be providing me with these every visit going forward. Before I left, the Service Manager said, "do you mind if I look at the documentation from your 3 visits at the previous dealership so i can make copies and add it to your file?" I literally looked at him like a deer in headlights and explained that they never once provided me with one single piece of paper after 3 months of regular visits. The Service Manager looked shocked and explained that they did not follow protocol and he would not allow that to ever occur in his dealership.

Now I feel like an idiot because I never even knew I was supposed to obtain these documents after every visit which makes it very easy for the dealership to spin the facts their way. At the same token, I am taking the stance that I am the customer and the Dealership should have followed proper protocol- why should I suffer because they did not provide me with documents I did not even know I should have been receiving!

I sent out a registered complaint letter to the GM or the dealership where I bought my car on Wednesday and last night he called me and seemed very sincere when he said he is taking this very seriously and he will get back to me shortly. I notified him that I did start a 2nd consumption test at a different dealer as per Nissan's instructions and I also explained politely that this was a big inconvenience for me since this should have been done once and done right- ESPECIALLY since the 3 months it took the dealer to do the test were my last 3 months of warranty!

I am going to fight this as fiercely as I possibly can and I will keep you guys posted along the way. Thanks again for all of this great advice, I am sure you can appreciate how much it means to a person in my shoes who has been very stressed out for months due to this situation and just wants some resolution.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Glad to hear this other dealer is acknowledging your situation and the lack of protocol from the first situation. Be assertive about everything and be polite also. It's a fine line to tow but if they know you were 'mistreated' and this was stated the other dealership, your road to getting things taken care of might actually benefit from their screw up.
If something they say or do doesn't seem right or sound correct, just ask for more info or details and don't be afraid to ask WHY about anything. Any reputable service dept should want you to understand what they are doing and why.

Most of the time, that info impresses customers and makes them realize the actual value of a good dealership or shop. :smile2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Glad to hear this other dealer is acknowledging your situation and the lack of protocol from the first situation. Be assertive about everything and be polite also. It's a fine line to tow but if they know you were 'mistreated' and this was stated the other dealership, your road to getting things taken care of might actually benefit from their screw up.
If something they say or do doesn't seem right or sound correct, just ask for more info or details and don't be afraid to ask WHY about anything. Any reputable service dept should want you to understand what they are doing and why.

Most of the time, that info impresses customers and makes them realize the actual value of a good dealership or shop. :smile2:
One good way of documenting is when the dealer tells you something you don't have confidence in, then insist that they put it in writing on your copy of the service order (if you have one open) or to just put it in writing. You'd be surprised just how often people change their attitude when asked to write it down.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
One good way of documenting is when the dealer tells you something you don't have confidence in, then insist that they put it in writing on your copy of the service order (if you have one open) or to just put it in writing. You'd be surprised just how often people change their attitude when asked to write it down.
True enough. I usually have a pen and paper handy anytime I'm on the phone which is often times, getting a quote on something or checking into / disputing a bill I rec'd. Jotting down the day, time and name of who you deal with may sound silly but in some cases it's real handy if you need it a week or a month later.

If the other party doesn't follow through as or when promised, you'll sound like a person with a photographic memory when you call them on it days or weeks later.

My last dispute was medical related and the result of a patient code being input wrong. They read back my insurance card info and had transposed a letter or number so it kicked it out and resulted in a $360 bill that was bogus.

Trust me, when you dig into your own issues like this, it's easy to realize the front desk person at most offices and some billing areas know less than you do about some of these basics. If you don't help them figure out how they screwed up or what they did wrong, they'll never admit it or find it because they just re-issue more billing statements as the result of errors not discovered.

In the mid 1980's, I had to threaten suit against a hospital in MI (almost) to get a fix. It cost me a bottle of wine to get my friend / attorney to write them a letter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello all,

Just a quick update. I am now doing my 2nd OCT at a trusted Infiniti Dealer (The Service Head Manager is actually the bother-in-law of the lawyer at my work I sought advice from, small world!) Anyways, they did a full oil change at the beginning of the month and told me to come back around 1000km. This morning I hit 1200km and I went in for my appointment for them to check it out. The Service Manager called me over when the car was ready and said "let's go look together." We pulled the dipstick and it was at the FULL mark- not a drop of oil has been consumed in 1200km! We waited and re-checked the dipstick a couple times to make sure it was accurate and we confirmed that my car did not burn any oil. I was relieved and confused at the same time- I asked if it consumed the large amounts of oil in the winter due to cold temperatures and cold starts and they advised me that no significant oil consumption would occur, it would be very minimal. They are only speculating, but they are saying it is possible that the previous Infiniti dealership never properly topped off my car to the full mark, and because they would always zip-tie my dipstick I would not even be able to tell this. Secondly, when I bought the car they told me they did a "fresh oil change" as well as "changed all the fluids" and my new Service Manager advised me they may have not even did an oil change so it may have been low to begin with, and he was highly skeptical they changed all my fluids, even more so because they gave me 0 documentation to support any of this. I am going to go back in 2000km to re-check this and he advised me for my next change to switch over to Mobil 1 full synthetic.

I am still a little bit confused trying to think of why my car was supposedly burning so much oil and now it seems to not be burning a drop, and I am driving it relatively the same. I would appreciate any thoughts on what seems to be occurring here?

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
That's a tough one. All you can do is be confident in the motor at present considering the 1200 km and no loss.

Like investing money, past performance does not guarantee or dictate future results. I think it best to forgo any trust or info from the past dealer and start over as you are doing. There is no rational theory in my mind that a motor uses lot of extra oil sometimes and not others if the load on the motor and driving style have not differed immensely. The only reasonable conclusion is the other dealer read the stick wrong or was goofing with you for some reason. Let these guys do the test as ordered and do not be surprised if it shows a 100% healthy motor.

Trying to explain the other dealership behavior or aptitude is not worth anyone's time but I suspect 'they' (someone there) are either inept or psychotic. I wonder what type of reviews or ratings they get by others ?

On my Mazda, I've confirmed it's used about 1/2 quart in just under 700 miles. I'll be staying attentive to that and topping it off as needed. I will probably use a gallon of Rotella T Synthic as my add-to inventory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My plan is to see what happens when I reach 6k (kilometers) and if all is good I want to switch over to Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 and hope my car continues to not consume oil again :)

As for the Shi**tty dealership, We have a 3rd party regulating body where I live in Ontario, Canada where they govern all dealerships and they can fight on your behalf to resolve disputes. I am constantly calling the dealership, its been weeks maybe months, and they just keep saying "let me talk to Nissan Canada and I'll call you back." I will see if this 3rd party can get any kind of resolution for me but in the meantime MAYBE i walked out of this with a quality car with a quality motor with low kms, knock on wood.

BTW: Let's say my car is fine, what do you guys think of what I paid for it- a 2010 G37 S Coupe Manual (no nav) with 31k kilometers (19k miles) for $25,200 Canadian (back when our dollar was almost 60 cents on the American dollar lol. Car has a clean title and clean report, do you think I over paid or the price was fair?

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
BTW: Let's say my car is fine, what do you guys think of what I paid for it- a 2010 G37 S Coupe Manual (no nav) with 31k kilometers (19k miles) for $25,200 Canadian (back when our dollar was almost 60 cents on the American dollar lol. Car has a clean title and clean report, do you think I over paid or the price was fair?
I'm not sure what that first dealer "did to you" aside from being mis-leading or trying to avoid the proper procedure on the oil test and related hard copy of documentation. ie; Is it worth doing much more in complaints? You are already on to another and better path at this point.

I do think it's important to separate the dealer from "Nissan denies" because the dealer should be the method of that test and procedure carried out to the extent Nissan gets the reports and bases the decision upon that info. Nissan as a company is poorly represented by this situation but didn't do anything wrong themselves. If you do anything, get as high up the Nissan chain (Zone Manager or something over multi dealers in big areas) as you can by phone contact or written letter explaining what happened. Let them know this should be a very strong concern for them in it's hurtful reflection of Nissan overall. Use specific names if you can and if this does not motivate them to get up their 'business' at the other dealer, nothing short of legal battles will wake them up IMO. If haven't been 'injured' in a legal sense, and it's just the inconvenience of it all, the only thing to do is pass it up the channels. If they have a good sense of smarts, it would be wise for Nissan to dole out a coupon book or something for free oil changes of some perks of some sort.

As for car value and the related monetary exchange rates at any given time, it might be easiest to plug in the info and specs of your car to KBB.com, TruValue or Edmunds to see what it shows for retail , dealer or trade values. Those guidelines will give you a good idea of what the market says of it's value or a fair price.
It's typically locale related so you just add your town or zip code to the info. Here are a few links/searches to check out --- :grin2:

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listings/infiniti/g37-coupe/

Infiniti G37 for Sale in Miami, FL 33131 - Autotrader

https://www.carmax.com/cars/infiniti/g37

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I finally got an update that gave a tiny glimpse of hope, here is the email I have received from my Service Manager this morning:

"After a further review this week by the head of the warranty department, I have just received further instruction this morning to provide parts and labor costs involved in the repair of the motor. I will be providing this to them by the end of the day today. The fact that they are requesting this is a good sign that they are seriously considering helping, however I cannot promise anything to you yet at this point. I will relay further information next week as it becomes available."

What are your thoughts on this- do you think something will be done now?

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
My thoughts are being ready with a response or carefully worded questions in case they deny a claim and how to go about a challenge if that were to happen.

I'm not saying I think it will go that way but that's the point. It's up in the air til you hear the decision from the powers involved. It may not hurt to Thank the person who is keeping you up to date by phone or email or whatever.

If you are in contact with anyone before the decision is made, I don't think it's smart to sound threating as if you are going to go all legal on them if it doesn't go the way you want. Stay positive and talk as if you expect they will back up the claim just as they should and that you do appreciate their help thus far.

As a last resort, you can always use this to remind them of how things started off-

Glad to hear this other dealer is acknowledging your situation and the lack of protocol from the first situation. They know you were 'mistreated' and this was stated.

If they take a pass at helping out, you have not accomplished anything even though they acknowledged the first round at that other dealer was way mis-handled. I O W , how did these guys at the 2nd stop do you any better ? if they can't get the support you need to get the car fixed ?

·
Premium Member
53,488 Posts
Sounds like they are headed in the right direction with warranty work. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so I got my update- they escalated it as far as they can and the final answer from Nissan NA was that they WILL NOT perform the repairs on my car for the reason being that there is absolutely no traceable history on my car and no service records from Nissan. I plan now to take the fight to the dealer and press them for selling me a certified Infiniti vehicle that seems to be a car that was purchased without any ties to Infiniti and taking the angle that they used their Infiniti dealership to deceive customers such as myself that they stand behind their pre-owned vehicles. This is concerning even more so know because I am starting to question the history of my car. Lesson learned, buying a used car from an Infiniti dealership seems to be no different from buying a used Infiniti from a private seller or curbside dealer (please correct me if I am wrong).

Looking for some guidance, I have expressed these complaints to the GM of the dealership and he plans to call me tomorrow but I am such and tired of these people blowing smoke up my a**. Is this game over, or is there anything else I can do at this point?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts