Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, just got my new 2004 6MT today. The buying experience was excellent (despite the 4 month wait). I was quite pleasantly surprised by the fact that it was a 2004. This is my first sports car (unless a Mitsu Eclipse counts). The sales guy asked if I wanted the protective coating for $950. My roommate just put one on his IS300 and loves it. I'm not sure if I want to go that route, or should pursue aftermarket install. Any ideas?

Second, any words of wisdom on the break in? The owner's guide says keep it below 4k RPMs for 1200 miles (man that's tough). Anything else other than not driving it too hard?

Last question, I'm wondering if I should go with synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1 at the first oil change. My brother swears by it. Thoughts? Thanks for your help and for creating an awesome resource for this awesome car.

Speedin' in Seattle

·
Registered
55 Posts
pcard

Tis true you can find out about the synthetic oil question by searching. Seems like there are two sides to the story (what a shock)!

I kept the breakin to what the owner's guide says. It's tough, but I rather play by the book than risk some damage. But then that's me.

[boink]

'03 G35 Coupe / 5AT / Carrib Blue / Willow Leather / Sport Wheels

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree on the break-in period. I also stayed at 4000rpm or under for the first 1200 miles. Several interesting "smells" after gear changes (especially reverse), so it was clear that something was going through a break-in. After 1200 miles I let loose- no smells, and no tranny problems- and I'm approaching 7K miles. You'll see some early owners had some tranny problems, and it seemed like from their comments, they didn't respect the 4K limit. I can't be sure it absolutely made the difference in mine performing flawlessly to this point....but I can't rule out the possibility. Mine is an 03 6m/t with the old console- I picked it up in February.

Skip Barber Graduate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts