Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has been a while since I posted pics of the G coupe. I washed and polished it and took some pics, so I thought I'd share it in its current state.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Very nice, Gilley. I just spent the entire weekend (20+ hours) polishing my G.

·
Registered
12 Posts
very very nice G. i cant wait to buy one. can i ask why you tinted the tail lights? in my opinion it takes away from the cleanliness of the car. just my opinion tho

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very very nice G. i cant wait to buy one. can i ask why you tinted the tail lights? in my opinion it takes away from the cleanliness of the car. just my opinion tho
Thanks. I liked the way the tint looks so I did it. No other reason. It's film so it can be removed if the next owner wants to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks. I liked the way the tint looks so I did it. No other reason. It's film so it can be removed if the next owner wants to.
ohhhh i see. yeah that's a lot better i suppose. non of that rattle can BS tint you can find.. i actually don't mind it, i just always see at as a permanent thing, but i guess when you use the fil, you can remove it whenever you want

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Nice photos ,,, now a few questions

:)
I think each car has to stand on it's own and color can really work for the sum total.
A monochromatic look with much of the trim and chrome accoutrements either shaved off or painted to match is something I always thought looked sporty. Some colors more so than others though.

As in the photos of the red coupe, the trunk emblem delete, and most everything else done looks spot-on to me. Not overdone but just right.

I never noticed a G with side molding before and it actually looks good lower on the body and painted to match.

Now for a few questions;

If I pull the emblems off my trunk, will I have a mess on the paint under them or can I just wash and wax smooth? I don't want to get into a paint job over something that trivial and IMO, the D Graphite with some chrome isn't too bad and something I can live with, at least for now.
Might even consider painting the emblems D G color and leave-em be.

Re; The tail lamp tint- What brand is on the red coupe?
It looks great and appears to not tint the lighted part of the lens ... is that correct? Just wondering if it detracts from the rearward light display.

Per CAI; Is the filter-charger set up bypassing the factory connector/wire and does this have any effect or is that just for the warm air damper to the intake?

Thank you;

~brian

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:)
I think each car has to stand on it's own and color can really work for the sum total.
A monochromatic look with much of the trim and chrome accoutrements either shaved off or painted to match is something I always thought looked sporty. Some colors more so than others though.

As in the photos of the red coupe, the trunk emblem delete, and most everything else done looks spot-on to me. Not overdone but just right.

I never noticed a G with side molding before and it actually looks good lower on the body and painted to match.
Thanks for the compliments on the car. My goal was to be different and sporty but still classy. The side body molding was a factory option on some cars and it was on this car when I bought it. I thought about removing it but it served a purpose so I left it.

Now for a few questions;

If I pull the emblems off my trunk, will I have a mess on the paint under them or can I just wash and wax smooth? I don't want to get into a paint job over something that trivial and IMO, the D Graphite with some chrome isn't too bad and something I can live with, at least for now.
Might even consider painting the emblems D G color and leave-em be.

Re; The tail lamp tint- What brand is on the red coupe?
It looks great and appears to not tint the lighted part of the lens ... is that correct? Just wondering if it detracts from the rearward light display.

Per CAI; Is the filter-charger set up bypassing the factory connector/wire and does this have any effect or is that just for the warm air damper to the intake?

Thank you;

~brian
You can debadge the trunk with a heat gun / hair dryer and something non-marring to the paint to pry them off. Some people use dental floss or fishing line to saw through the adhesive. When the emblems are off, you'll have to remove the residual glue. I used wd40 but some other adhesive removers would work.

Once the emblems are removed, you may have some ghosting of the letters and emblems on the paint. Sometimes polishing the trunk will help and exposure to the sun can help. Each car is different. But some people look at them as ghost emblems.

The tail light overlay are GTR style from Blubatmobile. He makes all kinds of overlays. Those overlays do not block any light from the tail lights because I did not want any trouble from the police and I wanted to make sure people behind me had no excuse for rear ending me.

The air filter (pop charger) does not bypass any wires. The MAF tube bolts onto the back of the filter mounting block like it does the stock filter box.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Thanks for the information on all counts.
The red coupe you did stands out and that says something IMO because red is so noticeable that even if not over represented as G's go for traveling the roads, it seems so due to the conspicuity of that color ... making it all the more difficult to have one that stands out .

Re the MAF hook-up ,, :??? I forgot what that was and associated it with the thermac of yesteryear on cars that had the vacuum hose running to the air cleaner. Things were much less computerized in my earlier days of driving and I'm old.

Much of the fun in vehicle ownership for me is setting the ride apart from the everyday beasts on the road.
I have never 'clayed a car' but I'm thinking about using Dawn dw soap and starting over with the paint surface before renewing the finish after using clay. Any input, comments or shared experience on this note would be helpful too!

Also looking at making two support brackets to mount under one side of the air ducts for a license plate. I've seen the Stillen gizmo that makes sense but I'm not sure if the plate looks better centered or off to one side. Opinions welcome as I'm sure this one wasn't polled.
Here in the land of the wild west, we are not to be w/o our front plate on the car. I always feel like the person that will get the rinky-dink ticket because Mr or Mrs Officer is bored. Maybe I'll keep my hardware in the car and tell him/her I just rec'd it from a special order and was on the way to the hardware to get the right screws. That might buy me a few passes. I respect and know LEO need to do their job but when it falls to this level of priority, it's seems silly.

-With the obvious exception of the driver that is in the midst of a kidnapping, bank robbery or has 2 bales of suspicious looking hay in the trunk. Those are often the rink-dink offenses that DO make the newspaper. :D

~brian

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Volk GTCs are similar and I think they are still in production. You would need offsets for a G37 though.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts